Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 Pontiac Solstice Roadster Concept

The Solstic's basic structure started life as a derivative of GM's global small car architecture, with several modifications for structure and balance, including extensive use of aluminum.

The Solstice is powered by a rear-wheel-drive 2.2-liter DOHC supercharged EcoTec four-cylinder engine generating up to 240 horsepower with premium fuel. The supercharger is an off-the-shelf unit supplied right out of the GM Service Parts
performance catalog. The engine is mated to a Borg-Warner performance six-speed manual transmission, the same one used in the Corvette.

The front end uses a simple and reliable strut configuration with a rack-and-pinion steering system derived from the Subaru WRX, one of GM's alliance partners. The all-aluminum independent rear suspension is derived from GMs mid-size crossover SUV family and also doubles as the mount for the rear differential, which was derived from the new

This is probably targeted towards an Audi TT competition.

2.2L I4 makes 240.0 bhp and 225.0 ft lbs, pretty impressive, the lude didn't make that.

·
Pimpzilla
11,102 Posts
...and they keep gettin uglier :p

·
Pimpzilla
11,102 Posts
I definitely wouldn't drive that...its like got no bumper :p

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
< Smack > How dare you say that TegFanatic... hehe J/K. Trading a Honda for a Pontiac.... dear god what is this world coming to. :rolleyes:

~Peace :D

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
240hp from a 2.2L w/out force is impressive, even from GM, however, it's a pontiac and I'll have to agree with my fellow SHO'ers, I wouldn't buy it, nonetheless, if GM can prove that they can build a "RELIABLE" compact car w/ high output performance, then why not right? This will just take quite alot of time, for now i'll stick to the japs

·
Registered
610 Posts
Pontiac makes some of the least reliable cars that the U.S. has to offer. I know several people who bought them brand new and they've all had major problems within the first 3 months. One guy even had his Grand Am die twice before it was lemonized and he got a whole new car.

·
Registered
90 Posts
rumorsHG said:

The front end uses a simple and reliable strut configuration with a rack-and-pinion steering system derived from the Subaru WRX, one of GM's alliance partners.
NO! god damnit! I hope GM doesnt screw subaru any on this. I hear subie is already in the mix of making a minivan using GM parts. this sucks!

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Re: Re: 2002 Pontiac Solstice

9000RPM said:

Gm owns 20% of Fuji Heavy Industry which owns Subaru. It's a suprise that GM hasn't screw around with Subaru like they did to other companies they partly owned. GM wanted to crack the Japanese market so they built a car in joint effort with Subaru and sold it under Subaru name . I think the car is built in Thailand car plant though.
I think GM has begun to realize that the Subaru company is marketed strickly for one class. 80% of Subaru buyers are white collared city workers. They're reasons for buying subaru's (esp the forrester and impreza) is it does well in the snow -> "4WD for ski season" Regardless the WRX and STI are for the younger crowds, but they're targeted for the younger "upper-class" crowd.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Note that it has a supercharged 2.2L engine. The lude is NA, the only available sc for the lude from JR makes ~230 to the wheels. Figuring 20% drivetrain loss the lude makes ~287 at the flywheel, ie 47 HP more. Lude is better. Still that is an impressive design and it took them 15 weeks to go from drawings to drivable version. As for reliability its hit and miss with any company. there are Pontiacs out there that have no problems and Hondas that are lemons.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.