Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys im thinkin of tradin in my 2000 av6 ex coupe for a 2003 one maybe by next september (thats if the new looks grow on me) but i was wondering, with the added 40 hp (i dunno if curb weight is higher or lower compared to the 6th gen) which cars do you think the 03 accord can now beat that the 6th gens couldnt? manual and automatic versions. thanks for all and any input..

· Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hmm very nice...what about automatic times? ne idea on those? i just want to get a general knowledge of the car b4 i decide i want to trade in my 6th gen..cuz i love the 6th gen so much..haha

· Registered
257 Posts
Realistically you're looking at low-7's to 60mph and low/mid-15's in the 1/4 mile.

Like before, Honda crippled the low-end and added a TON of stuff that it does not need, which is more top-end. With the slow-matic around town, I suspect the new car is going to feel weaker than 240 HP would suggest. It only has 212 lb-ft torque, and at a less than reachable 5000rpm. So unless you're really hammering it all the time, the car just isn't going to "feel" very quick.

Just for comparison, the 240HP Altimas have been putting down dyno numbers that suggest over 260 lb-ft torque :eek: at only 3500rpm, and they weigh 100lb less too. The torque in those cars is under-rated.

I'm happy with the 240HP, but dissappointed with how Honda pulled it off. The least they could have done is put in good cams and the variable intake manifold from the Acura's so that the engine would have more driveability, but you know, gotta separate the Honda's from the Acura's :rolleyes:

:mad:

www.hondanews.com has ALL the info you ever wanted.
www.hondacars.com is also good to checkout just for specs.

· Registered
51 Posts
Motor Trend tested the automatic ex sedan at 6.6 0-60 and a low 15 second qm (or was it high 14's?). The 6-spd coupe is rumored to run 14's and high 5's. I see no point though in paying that much more money for 40 more hp. Why not save a few grand and just get the comptech sc which gives you about 40-45 horses by itself. The new accord does come with all kinds of neat gadgets that the weren't available on the 6gen though. Yes, you don't really need them, but it couldn't hurt to have navi and and an available DVD entertainment system for keeping the kids quiet on those long trips through suburbia (after all, what are most people who buy an accord looking for?). All in all, i'd say to keep your 6gen. As for cars you could beat that the 6gen couldn't i wouldn't say that there are too many. Don't expect to lay the smack down on any mustangs or other cars designed for speed. You might make a certain fella with a 4gen maxima break a sweat while rowing through the gears though:p Which is something you can't say for a stock 6gen accord.

· Registered
159 Posts
VaV6

You might make a certain fella with a 4gen maxima break a sweat while rowing through the gears
Are you saying the 03 Av6 will win or what?
Have you driven a 03 Av6 sedan?

I raced a 01 maxima (auto) when I had my 00 AV6 sedan, from 0- to 85, he was ahead of me only by the front fender. From 90 till we ran out of road I was winning.

My wife and I raced the 03 Av6 against our old 00 av6, she spanked me by alteast 3 or 4 car links. She was driving the 03. So I know the 03 av6 accord will smoke the 01 & 02 maxima(auto). Not sure bout 03 maxima (auto) or 03 altima (auto), but I will find out real soon.

· Registered
51 Posts
I'm saying the 03 av6 auto would probably win given that the maxima has a skilled driver and a manual transmission. Auto vs. Auto the maxima doesn't really stand that much of a chance if motor trend's numbers are correct.

Something else that's interesting, i've read that auto vs. auto the new accord edges out the new altima in the qm by about half a car length despite the altima's torque advantage. Since the new altima and the maxima share pretty much the same 3.5l v6 (they say the altima's numbers have been "clipped" to keep maxima sales up) the new accord may do the same to the current maxima. For 04 the maxima is getting a major redesign that will probably place it ahead again to maintain sales, and even better, it'll be made in the good ole USA!:cool:

· Registered
257 Posts
Stop mag racing :rolleyes:

A certain 5spd Maxima owner is not very worried about the new 03 AV6 5AT, unless we're going over 100 mph where I'll be above 5500rpm long enough for it to matter. Around town, its azz is mine :)

Unless you can disprove Newtonian physics, this is what it boils down to.

As for the Altima vs Accord, the Accord will need one HELL of a gearing advantage (which it may very well have) to make up for power curves like this:

In drag races, it's all going to depend on how bad the low-end is on the new AV6. What Honda claimed on the last AV6 (90% torque at 2000rpm) and what it actually had (more like 70% :rolleyes: ) were two totally different things.

If C&D gets a 15.5 for the AV6, and freakin Consumer Reports (usually a half second slower than other mags) gets a 15.6 on the Altima, then that leads me to believe that the Altima is going to be quicker.

· Registered
257 Posts
ck2000 said:
My wife and I raced the 03 Av6 against our old 00 av6, she spanked me by alteast 3 or 4 car links. She was driving the 03. So I know the 03 av6 accord will smoke the 01 & 02 maxima(auto). Not sure bout 03 maxima (auto) or 03 altima (auto), but I will find out real soon.
The 02 Maxima's have 255HP too, not just the 03's. You should be able to take out any 95-01 Maxima automatic without too much difficulty. The manual's are a different story, though, as are the 3.5L auto's.

The Maxima 3.5L autos have been running solid high-14's at the track BONE STOCK, and the Altima's are just a tenth or so behind that from what I remember...

After you're broken in, you should take your 03 to the track just so we start to get some hard numbers. Be the first 03 AV6 owner to run your car at the track!!! :D

· Registered
917 Posts
The times I used are from C&D tested on the new AV6 and Altima V6. Consumer Report hasn't done testing the new AV6 yet so you can't use its time comparing to C&D time. BTW, CR shot down the Altima big time because beside speed, it has nothing over the 6gen AV6 and V6 Camry. Now power wise, the 7gen AV6 is right there next to it with much better quality and comfort. Sorry but I wouldn't get the Altima V6 over my AV6 never mind the 7gen Av6. I don't just buy a car for speed but I know that you do. ;)

· Registered
51 Posts
Steve as much as i do respect all of your technical knowlege i personally am more inclined to have faith in people who have been testing automobiles for more than 50 years (MT, C&D, etc.). You yourself have said that an autotragic 02 maxima usually runs a flat 15 in the quarter mile, while the cl-s averages a few tenths of a second faster even with a weight and torque disadvantage because of it's additional forward gear. I believe the same would apply to the new Av6 versus Altima. And i was only pulling your chain about the 03 Av6 AT making you break a sweat so please don't take it personally and accuse me of "mag racing." 9 times out of 10 I'll trust the mags more than most things i see on a chat board anyhow.;)

· Registered
977 Posts
VaV6 said:
9 times out of 10 I'll trust the mags more than most things i see on a chat board anyhow.;)
agreed, not discrediting anyone here because im sure those graphs are accurate, but.... anyone can make up a graph and post it on a board such as this. but we can almost guarantee that the big magazines arent lying to us(excluding sportcompact car because they are dumb)

and at times such as this it is all we really have to go on, seeing the fact that no one here has broken one in yet and actually raced it.

· Registered
51 Posts
Actually the graphs are pretty much accurate for p/w ratios, i was just saying that if a mag says the new Av6 auto beats the Altima auto by a few tenths then i am inclined to believe them until i see otherwise.

· Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
okay thanks for all the great input. im still very weary bout trading in my car. i hated the 7th gen coupes look in pictures and all but lately ive been looking at them in a different light and saying "its not so bad" to myself. i just dont want to trade in a wonderful car and regret it later down the road on the other hand the 7th gens do have lots of new options i love. ..decisions...decisions..

· Registered
3,194 Posts
I dunno, with all of the hype of the new accord I was real excited, I had my sights set on a new 6 sp coupe, but I test drove an 03 sedan, and to say the least it didn't do squat for me, it barely felt as fast as my accord does now, and for $30K all decked out just wasn't making me feel very good, so I started visiting other local dealers.

By chance I happened by the local infiniti dealer. There they had this funny looking little sedan with no worse off tail styling accents that the accord sedan, but the nose was pretty damn sexy so I took it for a spin. Oh my...when they say sport tuned suspension package they weren't kidding, much more nimble than even a tl-s... The ammenities were incredible, the back legroom was fantastic, the navigation had to be the coolest I'd seen by far, the drivers seat was meant for a "DRIVER" not some slug who likes to fart around in city traffic. mmmmmm Infiniti G35 sedan...

We get back to the dealer after I had made the poor salesman look like a ghost with my driving, but I reaaaallly didn't want another sedan, so I thanked him and started heading out, then he whipped out a little pamphlet and said that technically he shouldn't be showing it to me, but what I got a glimpse of gave me an instant woody. Then he said if I could wait 4-5 months this sexy beast would be out, with 275hp and 260 lb-ft of torque, which was 15 ponies more than the sedan that just knocked my socks off.... Well the moral of the story, I should have a new toy in my driveway in a few months, keeping the accord though, we decided to get rid of my wifes M.

If you're looking at spending $27-29k for a loaded accord I seriously suggest going and giving a g35 a run, Two of my neighbors have infinitis and love the service and support, as well as the quality of the car(one of em has a Q45 the other has an I35). After feeling the difference the choice was easy.

Also unlike the accord and it's absolutely nutless get up until V-tec kicks in, the g35 is a kick in the ass from the get go. Absolute blast to drive... Plus just look at the stance, take a guess which one handles better.

This

Or this

This

Or This

and finally

this

or this

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmMMMMMM.....

· Registered
159 Posts
illusion

I dunno, with all of the hype of the new accord I was real excited, I had my sights set on a new 6 sp coupe, but I test drove an 03 sedan, and to say the least it didn't do squat for me, it barely felt as fast as my accord does now, and for $30K all decked out just wasn't making me feel very good, so I started visiting other local dealers
What accord do you drive, and what mods?
Did you test drive 03 av6?

read my previous post......

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.