Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
04 Pontaic GTO

straight from motortrend.com

General Motors may tap its Australian division Holden to provide a high-performance, rear-drive coupe for Pontiac, filling the portfolio gap to be left by the Firebird when it retires at the end of the 2002 model year. Originally, the Commodore sedan was slated to arrive here as the new Chevy Impala SS, but now GM is looking at the Monaro coupe to be imported as a Pontiac.
When we caught wind of the Aussie connection months ago, talk was that the Monaro was under consideration for a Camaro replacement, though that stood in conflict with other insider reports. The name "GTO" had been flung around for some time, but now we have a product on which to affix the respected badge.

The hot Monaro is called GTU and has the same 350-hp Gen III 5.7-liter aluminum V-8 as the Commodore SS. So, just replace the Holden grille with a twin-nostril Pontiac fascia, round out the "U" in "GTU," and g'day, mate, it's a Pontiac GTO. The photo illustration presented here is our best guess at how the styling would be adapted to Pontiac. We're told, the face will carry essential Pontiac cues, but the rear will remain untouched.

More conservative in appearance than the current 'Bird, the name change would be a historic nod to the super sleeper, original GTO that helped put "muscle car" into the vernacular. The modern Monaro could address many of the aging Firebird's packaging issues while retaining its high-horsepower, high-value equation. And it would keep excitement burning white hot at Pontiac for years to come.

· Pimpzilla
11,102 Posts
they're stopping production on the Firebird right?

· Registered
90 Posts
the grill looks like it has ben photoshopped

· Pimpzilla
11,102 Posts
long live the good ole GTO

· Registered
90 Posts
you thought that was ugly, check out the new sunfire.

UGLY!!

· Registered
29 Posts
bout time we get one of the ausie's cars here... I love the commodores. only problem is that with 350hp and the GTO name it will close in on the corvette sales. I'm sure that it will only have 300-330 hp though.

· Registered
5,405 Posts
123456789 said:
bout time we get one of the ausie's cars here... I love the commodores. only problem is that with 350hp and the GTO name it will close in on the corvette sales. I'm sure that it will only have 300-330 hp though.
They're expecting sales of 20,000 yearly for the GTO. Vette sales are about 30,000 units yearly. And 350 horses aint nothing. The 01 and 02 ls-1 f-bods are putting out 305-320hp to the "rear wheels". In other words, the same as if not more then the vette. But they can't sell for shit. That GTO is ugly but 20,000 units should be easy. Wonder why they never did that for the f-bod? sell them in low volume to maximize profits and keep the cars alive.

· Registered
1,513 Posts
5.0 said:

They're expecting sales of 20,000 yearly for the GTO. Vette sales are about 30,000 units yearly. And 350 horses aint nothing. The 01 and 02 ls-1 f-bods are putting out 305-320hp to the "rear wheels". In other words, the same as if not more then the vette. But they can't sell for shit. That GTO is ugly but 20,000 units should be easy. Wonder why they never did that for the f-bod? sell them in low volume to maximize profits and keep the cars alive.
A stock LS1 F-body points out about 270-280 hp to the rear wheels. Go to www.ls1.com and do some looking around. Also, the F-body is a low volume car, it just doesn't sell because of other issues, mainly insurance rates for young people, and the lack of advertising.

· Registered
5,405 Posts
SeXiMa2K2SE said:

A stock LS1 F-body points out about 270-280 hp to the rear wheels. Go to www.ls1.com and do some looking around. Also, the F-body is a low volume car, it just doesn't sell because of other issues, mainly insurance rates for young people, and the lack of advertising.
Wrong. Trust me, i know a thing or two about f-bods. I belong to a local f-bod club and hang around many of their forums long enough to know that they put down more then the advertised 270-280hp to the rear wheels. I've seen quite a few 01 and 02's on the dyno. Most are putting over the 300rwhp. The 01 and 02's are running the strongest due to the z06 intake and cam changes.

Try this link over at Muscle mustang mag. They had an article called "measuring the competition" in which they tested a new camaro SS. It's the black box on top. For some reason the bottom half of that article is written in black and won't show on the black background. Highlight the area in the black box or cut and paste the whole thing on word and you'll see it. They got 321hp
:eek: to the rear wheels.

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/archives/features/1101_features0202.shtml

Or you can just ask the guys from ls1.com on what they put down in stock form.

· Registered
5,405 Posts
hmm, your mistaken...again. That may be correct for the 98 and 99 ls-1 but the 00, 01, and 02 have had improvements are rated conservatively. Another variable is the tranny. The m6's do better on the dyno. Perhaps you didn't look into that link i posted. The testing was done by a well known mustang magazine called "Muscle Mustang and Fast Fords". They ls1's are truly underrated.

Here's the whole article.

"Measuring The Competition

It pains us to say this, but a faceful of tailights is what you may get if you race a Camaro SS with a stock Bullitt. Or GT. Or Cobra. We flinched a few years back when we tested a stock LS1 Z/28 and it went 12.89 at 108. But we attributed some of that to the cold, mineshaft air on our test day. No way was this SS going to run 12s in the heat.

Oops. It went 12.96 at 107.43 in lousy air with a near-full tank of fuel, not to mention a 13.06 at 108.71 and a 13.08 at 107.67 later in the hottest part of the day. With any kind of air, the SS might have gone 12.70s or better. On stock radials.

Back at Crazy Horse, it pumped 321 horsepower to the rear wheels on the DynoJet. Are you feeling ill yet? That 42 more than the last Cobra we tested and 82 more than the Bullitt. But gee Uncle Henry, it only has one camshaft.

Pricing? Base Z/28 coupe: $21,645. SS option: $3950. Destination: $575. Total: $26,170. Our's had a few extras like leather and topped out at 29-large.

Now, don't kill the messenger. We're not advocating selling your Mustang to buy a GM product so please don't cancel your subscriptions. This is just to open your eyes and those of the folks at Ford engine development and Team Mustang. We've been waving the Blue Oval banner for decades, fighting the good fight and spending thousands of our hard-earned dollars every year to whip Bowtie butt. But it's time for Ford to send in the reinforcements. We can't do this on our own, guys.--J.C."

Again, try posting at that ls1.com link you've provided. 50 bucks says most of those guys have dynoed in at over 300rwhp in stock form.

Some topics over at ls1.com. The same forum you told me to look into.

Look at Z28_Sedan post
http://ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=56312&highlight=stock+dyno

2001 with 302.6 stock rwhp
http://ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=54590&highlight=stock+dyno

00blkss says he did 316rwhp stock. Read some of the other posts as well
http://ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=50645&highlight=stock+dyno

Another topic on ls-1 dyno and how they're underrated. "renips" makes 316whp.
http://ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=52647&highlight=stock+dyno

Another good one. 4 guys who posted are over 300rwhp.
http://ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=51169&highlight=stock+dyno

Do you want me to go on? i can post another hundred or so if you want. A 2001 or 2002 ls-1 when broken in and with the 6spd will see 300-320rwhp. You can take it up to the ls1 guys if you still don't buy this.

· Registered
29 Posts
from ls1.co m

The links to the three Dynojet graphs to the right show a pretty typical number of approximately 305 RWHP for the 1998-2000 LS1 F-Body.

This particular car is a 1998 Z28 with a .3.42 six speed manual transmission. The only mods performed to the car at the time of these tests were an SLP Cat Back system , SLP Y pipe, and a K&N air filter. The K&N has been shown not to effectively increase RWHP in these particular cars.

as you can see, 300hp to tyhe rear wheels yes, but not a stock car. cat back, Y pipe, and K&N filter. that is believable.

I've have a good friend with a 00 SS and is is just getting a little over 310 to the wheels after all this and a chip too.

· Registered
5,405 Posts
123456789 said:
from ls1.co m

As you can see, 300hp to tyhe rear wheels yes, but not a stock car. cat back, Y pipe, and K&N filter. that is believable.

I've have a good friend with a 00 SS and is is just getting a little over 310 to the wheels after all this and a chip too.
Hehe, okay i give up. I just listed over 6 "random" examples and that doesn't look to be enough for some of you. Besides that was a 98 ls-1, not a 01 or 02 where they put in the new cam, z06 intake and a few other changes. Of course the pre 00 without the new cam and z06 intake won't put up as good numbers. And they did say "a pretty typical number of approximately 305 RWHP for the 1998-2000 LS1 F-Body" with no mention of mods on that dyno test. They only mentioned mods in the next paragraph when they went on to talk about that particular 98.

Did you look into some of those discussion i posted on ls1.com? It's a well known fact that a broken in 01 and 02 will put down on average over 300rwhp. The 98's are right around 290-300rwhp. Some run stronger some weaker.

Also, the F-body is a low volume car, it just doesn't sell because of other issues, mainly insurance rates for young people, and the lack of advertising.
If it's a low volume car, why are they pissed that they don't sell 100+ thousand units a year? they aren't satisfied with the 60 or so thousand a year. And insurance has nothing to do with this. The mustang is just as high and in some areas a little higher to insure then the f-bod. As for advertising, i'd never seen one for the mustang to date. And the stang was the best selling sport coupes the last 2 years with close to 170,000 units sold each year. Gm obviously isn't doing something right.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.