Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The 2005 Mustang is being prepared for an international debut at the Detroit show in January, but this week TCC has more detailed pics of the most anticipated new-car introduction of the year.

At first glance this Mustang might look heavily camouflaged, but it's simply wearing a static-cling-like plastic sheet with a fuzzy worm design - likely there to fool the camera's focusing system, "bras" front and rear, and a bit of cloth to cover small Shelby-like rear quarter windows - similar to those found on the 1965 and 1966 Shelby 2+2 Fastback GT350.

This Mustang coupe, upon closer examination, is as production-ready as they get, including gauges, and the finished interior.

Our own Mustang expert, collector and enthusiast, Franklin Nickerson, provided us several additional observations after accompanying us when we took these exclusive photographs:

The roofline of the 2005 model has virtually the same silhouette as the 1967 and 1968 2+2 fastback.

The 2005 grille has four individual headlamps, as did the 1967 Shelby and 1969 Mustang.

The taillights for 2005 are three side-by-side, like all Mustangs from 1964.5 through 1970. However the backup lights are on the bottom of the inside lens.

The license plate has moved down below the bumper, as on the 1964.5 through 1973.

The interior instrument area has two clusters in chrome, and - our expert insists - looks just like the 1967-1968 dash. The upper area has two chrome A/C-heat vents on the same level as the instrument cluster.

Did the 2005 Mustang pass in the eyes of an enthusiast? Well, he walked right up to the test engineers and offered them a check on the spot. We think Mr. Nickerson will be one of the first to order a new Mustang, but he's holding out for the convertible.

TCC

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
oooh oooh can I be the first one with the "microscopic bacteria" finish?

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
divinewisdom said:
thats the limited edition mustang, its gonna be called SARS.
haha.. i love the new stang... of course i also love the old fastbacks, so thats probably why :p

·
Registered
866 Posts
all the concepts leading up to the 05 mustangs look great. but that, i'll have to hold my tongue. i know i know, it's camaflouged (spelling?) but it leaves a lot to the imagination. and i don't feel like using my imagination this early in the morning. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
I too loved the concept, but i'm not feeling this camo version from what i can see. But it's still too early to be passing of judgements i guess. This specific one looks to be a v6 (16" wheels and higher profile tires).

I'll wait till the 2004 auto show when the final production car is shown. Some have said it'll look just like the concept, and i hope so. I think i'll like it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I would buy one from what I seen in some pictures I like it a lot. Does anyone know what kind of hp it's going to come with? And do you think it will have more than 390 I heard 305?

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
The Cobra model most likely wouldn't be released until a couple years into the model generation, to spark up interest after the initial "wow" is gone.

I'm not sure if it'll have much more power than before (the non-Cobra models), considering the Camaro and Firebird are gone anyway.

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
acurats said:
I would buy one from what I seen in some pictures I like it a lot. Does anyone know what kind of hp it's going to come with? And do you think it will have more than 390 I heard 305?
From the rumors i've heard.

2005 v6 - 215hp Duratec 3.0 (last year of 3.0)
2006 GT - 305-310hp 3 valve 4.6L
2006 v6 - 250hp 3.5 Duratec (new 3.5 v6)
2006 Cobra- 400-500hp N/A or S/c'ed 5.4L Dohc

There might be a mid trim v8 (like the Mach 1) between GT and Cobra. Maybe a 350-390hp Mach 1???

Those are the speculations i've heard.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Obviously the concept was much better looking, but I guess it's not bad. Those wheels have got to go though, they're ugly as hell!!!

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
divinewisdom said:
[clapse] ford finally got vtec! [/clapse]

hehe ;)
Hehe, they've had it for a while i believe...just not on the rustang;).

Pics of the production version. It will be publicy shown at the auto tomorrow the 4th.

driver side

Exterior

Interior

3v 4.6 v8

Suspension and drivetrain

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
Yeah I got pics in my new Car and Driver. I gotta say - I hate how it looks. Bleh. Terrible. Just my opinion though. At least they came out with a new chassis. But still - live axle? No 6-speed? Almost exactly 50hp/L from the V6 model? 3500lbs for the GT? They changed so much - and yet managed to not change all that much. When compared to what Chevy did with the already-great C5 to make the C6 with fewer changes, I'm pretty disappointed by the new Mustang.

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
White98LS said:
Yeah I got pics in my new Car and Driver. I gotta say - I hate how it looks. Bleh. Terrible. Just my opinion though. At least they came out with a new chassis. But still - live axle? No 6-speed? Almost exactly 50hp/L from the V6 model? 3500lbs for the GT? They changed so much - and yet managed to not change all that much. When compared to what Chevy did with the already-great C5 to make the C6 with fewer changes, I'm pretty disappointed by the new Mustang.
well i can see why its liveaxle, basically a mustang (gt) is a drag based car where liveaxle is ideal. They gotta save all the bells and whistles for svt.

as far as styling i think its either love or hate..and i havent chosen yet myself.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
LudeAction said:
well i can see why its liveaxle, basically a mustang (gt) is a drag based car where liveaxle is ideal. They gotta save all the bells and whistles for svt.

as far as styling i think its either love or hate..and i havent chosen yet myself.
True, but I bet the vast majority of SVT owners drag their cars too, so why don't those have live axles? Ehh whatever.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts