Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
pic from Gminsider.

To say that i'm "dissapointed" would be an understatement. It's not even an improvement. Dropping a 400hp/400lb-ft tq LS6 for a 400hp/400lb-ft tq LS2...wow. The increase displacement should mean for a broader tq curve, but i doubt the difference will translate into a quicker CTS. Especially when the Ls6 c5's are considerabl quicker than the ls2 C6's with near similar outputs. It's that tq management and shit they built into the ls2's PCM.

Hopefully down the line, the 505hp ls7 will see time under the CTS-V's hood. Perhaps 2007+ if we're lucky and GM decides to get a bit more serious. We shall see. Till then, we'll have to make do with the Ls2. It's not bad or anything. Upcoming M3's 4.0L v8 will be making around 400hp as well.

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
njn63 said:
is this a 'cost cutting' move or just a dumb move for no reason?
I think this is pretty much their reasoning. Just my speculations, but they probably aren't too far removed from the truth.

*they don't want to put 505hp Ls7 into CTS-V. Reserved for z06 at this time.
*More expensive flagship V series cars like the STS-V and XLR-V have 440hp. The CTS-V is the cheapest entry level V. It wouldn't make sense to have your cheapest entry level V car making more power than your flagship V sedan, the STS-V. So CTS-V's output can't match or surpass 440hp.
*GM's role for the CTS-V now is that of an M3 fighter. Just so happens that M3 will have a 400hp v8, just like current and 2006 CTS-V. Guess they figurd they'd stick with the 400hp v8.

And the biggest reason of all i think is the fact that the Ls6 like the Ls1 is being phased out and won't be produced anymore. The Northstar v8 will not fit into the CTS's (why they used ls6 pushrod to begin with, smaller motor), and they dont want to plop the new 505hp Ls7 into its for fear of it overshadowing the more exensive STS-V. That leaves only once choice really, the Ls2.

Still, they should have tossed in a hotter cam or something so that we atleast see some sort of improvement :rolleyes. 400hp ls6 to 425hp Ls2 wouldn't be bad, but 400hp ls6 to 400hp Ls2 is nothing. if anything, the new CTS-V will most likely be slower than the old one just because of the more intrusive PCM on the new ls2's.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.