Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 Honda Civic Hybrid Wins 'World Car of the Year Award' for Greenest Car

http://hondanews.com/CatID1000?mid=2006041344234&mime=asc

New York 04/13/2006 -- The completely redesigned 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid, the most economical and environmentally responsible gasoline-powered Civic ever, has won the World Car of the Year Award for greenest car, American Honda Motor Co., Inc., announced today. A jury of 46 international automotive journalists selected the 2006 Civic Hybrid, which achieves an EPA estimated city/highway fuel economy of 49/51 miles per gallon, as the winner of the 2006 World Green Car.

"Honda continues to be a leader in producing environmentally responsible vehicles that set the standard for fuel economy and low emissions," said John Mendel, Senior Vice President, American Honda Motor Co., Inc. "The award-winning 2006 Civic Hybrid is the latest embodiment of Honda's long-term commitment to the development of environmentally friendly technologies that are also fun to drive."

Characterized by advanced new styling, Honda's all-new Civic Hybrid also offers the latest in safety technology, as well an array of standard features, such as multiple audio entertainment choices, that increase content and value.

Equipped with a continuously variable transmission (CVT) as standard equipment for 2006, the Civic Hybrid can now deactivate all four of its cylinders and operate using only the electric motor in certain steady-state cruising situations. Compared to the 2006 Civic Sedan with an automatic transmission, the Civic Hybrid provides a city fuel economy increase of approximately 63 percent and a highway fuel economy increase of 27 percent.

Standard features on all 2006 Civic Hybrids include:

Advanced Compatibility Engineering(TM) (ACE(TM)) Body Structure
1.3-liter i-VTEC 4-cylinder engine with 20 horsepower electric motor (combined 110-horsepower @ 6000 rpm and 123 lb-ft. torque @1000-2500 rpm)
New lighter, more powerful and efficient Integrated Motor Assist (IMA) system with greatly enhanced energy regeneration capability and electric-only operation
Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) as standard equipment
49/51 mpg city/highway*
AT-PZEV emission technology in all 50 states
Exclusive interior styling includes IMA instrument panel meters, two-tone seating surfaces and new blue interior option
Honda first introduced U.S. consumers to hybrid technology with the Insight in December 1999. It launched its second hybrid vehicle, the Civic Hybrid, in March 2002, followed by the first-ever V6-powered hybrid, the Accord Hybrid, in December 2004. Destination and handling charges for all 2006 Honda vehicles are $550.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
after 6 years, the Insight is FINALLY knocked off the top... by another Honda! :-D Too bad the Civic Hybrid doesnt also achieve 66MPG. Oh wells... the Civic is more practical. Good job honda! Now let's get Ethanol cars going g-damn it!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Midi_Amp said:
I read that Prius returns better MPG and faster performance (direct comparo with 06 Civic hybrid, forgot where)... So why is exactly the 06 Civic got the greenest car award?
I don't think that the "Greenest Car Award" is soley based on MPG.

Characterized by advanced new styling, Honda's all-new Civic Hybrid also offers the latest in safety technology, as well an array of standard features, such as multiple audio entertainment choices, that increase content and value.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
i tot its supose to be 50mpg city and 50mpg hwy. but hey..49mpgcity and 51mpg hwy still sound good at least it still near what honda claim. unlike prius estimate off by god knows how many mpg.

·
Registered
972 Posts
97ACCRD said:
I don't think that the "Greenest Car Award" is soley based on MPG.
Okay, aside from MPG and emmission, I don't think styling and choices of audio system should be counted as green. Perhaps the international panel of judges should give the "Most interesting green car award", if styling, driving dynamics and other optional packages are included.

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
I think that's strange. The Honda Insight is much better in fuel efficiency. I think Honda pushed to get the Civic Hybrid nominated instead of the Insight in order to get the award, for marketing purposes.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
First post said something about "electric only operation". i thought w/ honda IMA the electric motor never ran by itself, unlike toyotas synergy. does anyone know of a place that has the changes made to hondas IMA over the years?

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
DAFeLUNG said:
First post said something about "electric only operation". i thought w/ honda IMA the electric motor never ran by itself, unlike toyotas synergy. does anyone know of a place that has the changes made to hondas IMA over the years?
yea the civic hybrid is different from the accord hybrid in that respect. the engine shuts down when it's not needed.

http://world.honda.com/news/2005/4050705_b.html

• Vehicle stationary
The engine is turned off and fuel consumption is zero.

• Startup and acceleration
The engine operates in low-speed valve timing mode, with motor assist.

• Rapid acceleration
The engine operates in high-speed valve timing mode, with motor assist.

• Low-speed cruising
The valves of all four of the engine’s cylinders are closed and combustion halted. The motor alone powers the vehicle.

• Gentle acceleration and high-speed cruising
The engine operating in low-speed valve timing mode powers the vehicle.

• Deceleration
The valves of all four of the engine’s cylinders are closed and combustion halted. The motor recovers the maximum amount of energy released during deceleration and stores it in the battery.

·
Registered
972 Posts
AlSi said:
i think it won because the judges considered honda the overall greener brand and the civic was the best example.
I smell marketing bs, but oh well... All is fair.

IMA system and the synergy drives now operates the same. I read critiques citing that Honda copied Toyota synergy system when the new Civic hybrid rolled out of the production line... I say it's about time. No matter how I love Honda, got to give credit where it's due.

·
Registered
972 Posts
GSteg said:
would have been nice if they had top it all off by offering green paint for the civic hybrid :D
Don't be surprised there will be a greenest car in the world limited edition with special forest green colour and a life time supply of pine scented air freshener :lol2

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Honda is always gonna come out on top. They've been the leading makers of gas saving vehicals for years. But hopefully they're not thinking about making a Honda ethnol car yet? I don't trust that. I've been thinking if they switch from petrolium to ethnol there's gonna be some break down in cars. don't yall think?

·
Registered
199 Posts
dodolaje said:
i tot its supose to be 50mpg city and 50mpg hwy. but hey..49mpgcity and 51mpg hwy still sound good at least it still near what honda claim. unlike prius estimate off by god knows how many mpg.

Road and Track in their May 06 issue did a Hyrbid vs Gasoline comparo and the civic hybrid averaged 40.7

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.