Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Civic Type R Concept: dynamic styling, exciting performance
With a level of success way beyond Honda's initial expectations, the Civic Type R which ended production last year proved a smash hit among those seeking the thrills of a sporty, high performance car, yet still delivering a strong dose of practicality, and all at an affordable price.

The bold styling and 200 PS DOHC i-VTEC engine of the Civic Type R Concept provides a clear indication of how the final production car will appear; driving enthusiasts are unlikely to be disappointed.

THE CIVIC TYPE R CONCEPT
The practical nature of the current Civic Type R made it a car for everyday driving, yet one that just as equally delivers instant performance, plus fun handling, on demand. That dual personality thrilled over 35,000 customers, far exceeding initial sales forecasts during its relatively short production run.

Last year Honda announced it is to build a successor, and while the previous model is a tough act to follow, the credentials of the Civic Type R Concept which makes its world debut at Geneva, suggests that the new car will attract a whole new wave of enthusiasts.
Bold and emotional styling is teamed up with a development of the previous Type R's race-proven, high-revving pedigree DOHC i-VTEC engine. 200 PS delivered from a capacity of 2.0 liters without resorting to a turbocharger defined the character of the old model and will equally define the character of its spiritual successor. The promise then is of a performance hatchback that will be as exciting to drive as it will be to look at when it goes on sale at the beginning of 2007.

A new 3-door version of the Civic, which shares DNA with this Type R Concept model, will go on sale in Europe later this year. It makes use of many of the styling themes that have brought such wide praise for the recently introduced Civic 5-door.

Civic Type R and the rest of the Civic 3-door range, will be exclusively built alongside the Civic 5-door range at the Honda of the UK Manufacturing (HUM) plant in Swindon.

Honda

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Honda shows Civic Type-R

Honda’s race-inspired Civic Type-R debuts at Geneva, powered by the same 2.0-liter, 200-hp, four-cylinder used in the previous generation car, but the bigger news is word of a possible Type-RR version. Type-RR, which shares its nomenclature with high-performance racing bikes built by the Japanese company, would feature more power, less weight and an even more extreme experience.
autoweek

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
damn it i'm moving to Europe

·
Registered
154 Posts
Midi_Amp
Very busy, very wild, very un-Honda, me likey But still 200ps(197bhp)? I expected more out of it... But oh yeah... Me likey Put the RDX engine on it and I will be one happy fellow.
I think you and the rest of the world would be happy if it had a performance orientated rdx engine

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
the styling has to grow on me a little but it isn't bad at all

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
Boski said:

jenson button and takeo fukui doing alittle PR work
Haha I loved it when the pictures at the top came out a few days ago and a couple people were like "that's a Photoshop!!!" :rolleyes

I really like the look. I'm surprised that they didn't up the power, simply because carmakers almost always do. 200hp is enough IMO but 14xlb/ft at a high rpm is not... the GTI has the same power but way more torque. I bet this Civic will be heavier than the old one too, although less than the GTI.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
White98LS said:
Haha I loved it when the pictures at the top came out a few days ago and a couple people were like "that's a Photoshop!!!" :rolleyes

I really like the look. I'm surprised that they didn't up the power, simply because carmakers almost always do. 200hp is enough IMO but 14xlb/ft at a high rpm is not... the GTI has the same power but way more torque. I bet this Civic will be heavier than the old one too, although less than the GTI.
i agree totally, would also like to see how it matches up with the new focus

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
did anyone read the bit about the last gen type r being a sales success?
hmmm... i wonder why our last si didn't do too well?

if we had the type r available like the rest of the world (what else is new?), i think honda would have had a hit on their hands...

not liking the design direction honda is heading down with their latest concept cars though...
seems too triangleish? too busy... too many character lines...
almost bordering on pontiac cheesy.
though i like the fact honda stuck with a ctr hatchback as tradition.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
theflipimage said:
did anyone read the bit about the last gen type r being a sales success?
hmmm... i wonder why our last si didn't do too well?
Could have something to do with...
-Lower redline and same hp as the old Si
-No LSD
-No 6-spd
-All season 15" tires
-Complete lack of agressive styling
-Flaccid suspension
-Mediocre brakes

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
yup... EXACTLY!

i don't know what's wrong with carmakers...
they put out a new model of a car and wonder why it isn't a sales success?

ford...
great focus offered in europe, meanwhile we in their HOME market get garbage leftovers!

mitsubishi...
had the evo for countless gens and FINALLY got it in their head they had a market here in the usa of all places! but look at the rest of their uninspired product line...

honda...
if they friggin sold the elysion (advancing the idea that a minivan is NOT just a cheapo form a transportation for kids when everywhere else in the world it is a MULTI-PURPOSE VEHICLE) here instead of the dumb and cheap looking odyssey...

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Midi_Amp said:
Very busy, very wild, very un-Honda, me likey :D But still 200ps(197bhp)? I expected more out of it... But oh yeah... Me likey :clap Put the RDX engine on it and I will be one happy fellow.
need SH-AWD and walla.. almost a rally car.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Damnn..... I like the stylin on that. I'm not a fan of hatchbacks but I would definitely would like one of those. 200hp is a good start, will be better with turbo.

·
Registered
57 Posts
i ono

i'm not a big fan of these type R hatches.. personally i think this one is ugly. but i guess it'll have to grow on me. soooo ummm. yeah... it'll look better with the o6 coupe si.. o0o0o i like that car

1 - 20 of 52 Posts