Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I cold start the engine, the temperature gauge is already at normal operating temperature (about 1/3 of the gauge limit). the engine then is difficult to start ( you have to keep the starter running longer than usual and pump the gas peddle). after driving the car for about 2 minutes the temperature gauge is at about 2/3 of the gauge limit. the car is running smoothly on the road. after about 2 more minutes the temperature gauge needle drops to about 1/2 the gauge limit because the electric fans have turned on. once back home it idles perfect in park. turn the car off and take the key out, the electric fans run for 10 more minutes. with the engine cold the radiator is full and the overflow bottle level is normal. bad temperature sensing unit? bad thermostat? computer problem? I could find no chewed on wires from mice. appreciate everyone's in helping troubleshooting this one. tom

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Before I cold start the engine, the temperature gauge is already at normal operating temperature (about 1/3 of the gauge limit). the engine then is difficult to start ( you have to keep the starter running longer than usual and pump the gas peddle). after driving the car for about 2 minutes the temperature gauge is at about 2/3 of the gauge limit. the car is running smoothly on the road. after about 2 more minutes the temperature gauge needle drops to about 1/2 the gauge limit because the electric fans have turned on. once back home it idles perfect in park. turn the car off and take the key out, the electric fans run for 10 more minutes. with the engine cold the radiator is full and the overflow bottle level is normal. bad temperature sensing unit? bad thermostat? computer problem? I could find no chewed on wires from mice. appreciate everyone's in helping troubleshooting this one. tom
fixed it myself. ordered a new oem temperature sensing unit off ebay for $6.50. installed it in number one location (not the one on the thermostat housing). disconnected then reconnected my battery to reset the computer. all problems solved. runs perfect.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts