Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
JB's egotistical arse finally came through for Honda!! :w00t :w00t :w00t Doesn't he hold the record for the longest winless streak in F1 from the start of a driver's career? :confused

Let the corks fly in Brackley & Tokyo! :number1

BTW: Good job by Rubens too.:tu

2006 Hungarian Grand Prix

Pos No Driver Team Laps Time/Retired Grid Points

1 12 Jenson Button Honda Winner

2 4 Pedro de la Rosa McLaren-Mercedes +30.8 secs

3 16 Nick Heidfeld Sauber-BMW +43.8 secs

4 11 Rubens Barrichello Honda +45.2 secs

5 14 David Coulthard RBR-Ferrari +1 Lap

6 7 Ralf Schumacher Toyota +1 Lap

7 17 Robert Kubica Sauber-BMW +1 Lap

8 6 Felipe Massa Ferrari +1 Lap

9 5 Michael Schumacher Ferrari +3 Lap

10 18 Tiago Monteiro MF1-Toyota +3 Lap

11 19 Christijan Albers MF1-Toyota +3 Lap

12 21 Scott Speed STR-Cosworth +4 Lap

13 8 Jarno Trulli Toyota +5 Lap

14 22 Takuma Sato Super Aguri-Honda +5 Lap

Ret 1 Fernando Alonso Renault +19 Lap

Ret 3 Kimi Räikkönen McLaren-Mercedes +45 Laps

Ret 20 Vitantonio Liuzzi STR-Cosworth +45 Laps

Ret 10 Nico Rosberg Williams-Cosworth +51 Laps

Ret 2 Giancarlo Fisichella Renault +52 Laps

Ret 15 Christian Klien RBR-Ferrari +64 Laps

Ret 9 Mark Webber Williams-Cosworth +69 Laps

Ret 23 Sakon Yamamoto Super Aguri-Honda + secs

Fastest Lap:

* Provisional Results

·
Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Button storms to victory in Hungarian epic

Button storms to victory in Hungarian epic

06 August 2006

Jenson Button stormed to his maiden F1 Grand Prix victory in an epic race at the Hungaroring. Pedro de la Rosa claimed second and Nick Heidfeld third while championship rivals Michael Schumacher and Fernando Alonso both suffered fraught races and failed to finish.

Overnight rain and downpours this morning eased and let a very damp circuit for the start of the race. The field started on intermediate and wet tyres needing to negotiate large pools of standing water.

The wet conditions made for a thrilling first lap. Raikkonen streamed into the lead ahead of Barrichello and de la Rosa blasting up into third. Massa struggled despite his front row grid slot but the action was all on Schumacher and Alonso who were fourth and fifth by the end of the first lap.

Alonso was then on the tail of Schumacher at the end of lap three and feigned a move down the inside of the final corner, but Schumacher wasn't about to give up - slamming the door firmly. But it was not enough and Alonso was rampant over the back of the Ferrari and eventually pulled off an audacious move around the outside of turn four to take fourth from Schumacher.

The action continued at the front as Pedro de la Rosa blasted past Barrichello for second, setting up an early McLaren one-two. The Brazilian - until then on full wets -pitted for intermediate tyres, dropping way down the order.

Schumacher was also on full wets and struggling. The German dropped a further position as Button slipped through the inside of turn one on lap seven and went on to fall back almost twenty seconds behind Alonso in the next ten laps.

Schumacher's afternoon went from bad to worse as when Fisichella tried to pass around the outside, Schumacher lost grip and slid into the Renault, tearing his front wing off. The Ferrari pitted for repairs and took on intermediate tyres as the rain began to stream down.

Raikkonen and de la Rosa pitted and Alonso found himself in the lead on lap 17. After his pit stop Schumacher rejoined in ninth, but his title rival had yet to stop. It was then that Fisichella spun off and hit the tyre barriers.

Alonso put the hammer down and on lap 24 he lapped championship rival Michael Schumacher. But then there was drama on lap 26 when Raikkonen ploughed into the back of a slow-moving Tonio Liuzzi and fell out of the race.

It took marshals several laps to mop up the mess and as Alonso pitted, Schumacher unlapped himself and took advantage of the safety car to close right back to within fifteen seconds of the Spaniard, albeit down in seventh position. The safety car came in at the end of lap 30 as Alonso led Button, de la Rosa, Barrichello, Heidfeld, Coulthard and Michael Schumacher.

In the meantime the rain had eased and a dry line was emerging on track and Jenson Button closed right up on Alonso - just 0.7s separated the two drivers on lap 44. Meanwhile Michael Schumacher was setting the new pace as his tyres came good and had already carved his way up to fifth.

As Alonso looked certain to claim back some points on Michael Schumacher his strong race fell apart after his second pit stop when he suffered a rear drive shaft failyre which sent him sliding off into the tyre barrier at turn two.

A dejected Alonso trudged back to the pits as Button steamed off into the lead. The Honda driver pitted for dry tyres on lap 54 and rejoined at the head of the field. Michael Schumacher found himself up in second place after a dramatic afternoon and seemed to settle for the eight points when he knew Alonso was out.

As Button was peerless out front, Schumacher fell under heavy pressure from Pedro de la Rosa and on lap 65 the pair had contact at chicane, Schumacher pushed wide and forced to cut the corner. Schumacher was defiant and would not let de la Rosa past, but the following lap the Spaniard proved too strong and took second place at the same corner.

Schumacher then fell into the clutches of Nick Heidfeld and the pair had contact at the chicane, Schumacher sustaining suspension damage and forced t retire in an epic race that saw both championship rivals suffer the same fate.

Button cruised to the finish and won his maiden F1 victory after starting from a lowly fourteenth place. The British driver's first win came on his 113th Grand Prix start and it is Honda's first win since the Japanese company returned to F1 in the late 1990s.

Pedro de la Rosa brought his McLaren home in second place - the Spanish driver's career best finish ahead of Nick Heidfeld scoring BMW's first podium of the season.

Rubens Barrichello crowned a fantastic afternoon for Honda with fourth ahead of a brave drive from David Coulthard to bring his Red Bull home in fifth ahead of Ralf Schumacher, Robert Kubica and Felipe Massa taking the final point for Ferrari.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
oh MAN!!!

That was one helluva race! Good thing I got up at 5am to watch it! Sucks for Alonso, and serves Michael right for holding up Pedro. At first, I thought Jenson winning with Michael getting 2nd making the championship tighter would make an awesome result but I will definitely take this. When is the last time you heard the Japanese anthem played in a podium ceremony?

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
A tear almost came to my eye for Honda! Im so glad and relieved they finally won and Jenson pulled thru for them. Rubens almost made the podium also ...........all in all, a very good day for Honda and honda fans like myself!

·
Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kilika2k said:
oh MAN!!!

When is the last time you heard the Japanese anthem played in a podium ceremony?
Hahaha! Probably the World Games for baseball. :hehe I dunno... I guess it's an ethnic thing but I watch a lot of world sports like the Olympics, MotoGP, and Judo Worlds, so hearing the anthem isn't a big beal to me. :hehe ;)

But for F1... It's been a LONG LONG time. That I can remember for certain: Back to the Jacque V. days. Definitely not like the days of Mansell, Prost, Senna, etc. :eek:

·
Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
95accordlx said:
A tear almost came to my eye for Honda! Im so glad and relieved they finally won and Jenson pulled thru for them. Rubens almost made the podium also ...........all in all, a very good day for Honda and honda fans like myself!
Werd.

Just a little more luck and both JB & Rubens could have been on the podium together. :aww

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Shiba-Kun said:
Werd.

Just a little more luck and both JB & Rubens could have been on the podium together. :aww
Judging by the last 2 GPs....it looks like honda has finally got their shit together. I hope it carries through.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Shiba-Kun said:
But for F1... It's been a LONG LONG time. That I can remember for certain: Back to the Jacque V. days. Definitely not like the days of Mansell, Prost, Senna, etc. :eek:
Even though Honda powered those cars, I believe the contructors were still British based. So they play the British anthem just like how they do when a McLaren-Mercedes wins the race instead of the German anthem of Mercedes. So yeah, if they won last year as BAR Honda, they would've played "God Save the Queen" since Honda didn't own a majority stake in the team yet. Which begs the question, what if a British driver wins in a British car? Do they play the anthem twice? Haha its probably in the FIA procedures book somewhere.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.