Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

When you're on the prowl for prototypes, a flapping car cover is one thing that definitely catches your eye. That's exactly what we saw as we were checking up on a DaimlerChrysler pilot production facility - two engineers placing a cover on a remarkably well-finished prototype for Chrysler's next minivan.

We managed to snap this photo just before they got the cover in place. This is the first time we have seen a minivan test vehicle without the heavy front and rear camouflage and the grid-like body tape that usually covers every inch of most Dodge and Chrysler prototypes. We have applied some minor computer retouching to clean up the paint, and finalize the trim and taillights, but 98 percent of the prototype in this photo is exactly as it was photographed. That means these are the first and only shots to show the true roofline, tailgate, and rear-pillar design of the DaimlerChrysler's new minivan. These shots also show the first visual proof that the new vans will get roll-down windows on its sliding doors to match its competitors from Mazda, Honda, and Toyota.

The new Chrysler minivans will be less jellybean-shaped, with a more upright D-pillar. The rear tailgate and the backlight are more squared off than the current van, with at least a hint of the Chrysler 300C and Dodge Magnum creeping into the new design. -KGP Photography

TCC

·
Registered
268 Posts
Look at that wheel gap. :eek

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
xturbo420x said:
lmao at the guy pointing at the photographer.
:lol2 :lol2 :lol2 :lol2 :lol2
i just noticed that. roflmao

i actually like minivans. they have practicality, unlike SUVs.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
AlSi said:
i actually like minivans. they have practicality, unlike SUVs.
So do wagons, which I'd much rather get.

Wow some real creativity went into that design... I'm mildly depressed that I have to see those running around every day for possibly the rest of my life.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
White98LS said:
So do wagons, which I'd much rather get.

Wow some real creativity went into that design... I'm mildly depressed that I have to see those running around every day for possibly the rest of my life.
yea. well a minivan is pretty much a wagon that's has more vertical room.

i agree the whole new dodge big, square, & plastic look doesnt work very well on the minivans.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
AlSi said:
yea. well a minivan is pretty much a wagon that's has more vertical room.

i agree the whole new dodge big, square, & plastic look doesnt work very well on the minivans.
But minivans drive SO much worse than wagons in general... plus you can get a lot of sporty sedans in wagon form (Volvo, WRX/9-2X, Audi S4, etc.), while there are no sporty minivans.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
White98LS said:
But minivans drive SO much worse than wagons in general... plus you can get a lot of sporty sedans in wagon form (Volvo, WRX/9-2X, Audi S4, etc.), while there are no sporty minivans.
ya i know. im just saying. for the majority of people who drive SUVs (soccer moms) a minivan would fulfill the purpose much better while getting better gas milage/better emissions/better handling. pretty much all minivans get around 25mpg or the diesel dodge sprinter (based on the mercedes) 30mpg.

anyone who's driving a SUV to begin w/ isnt going to care about performance.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
White98LS said:
what about that JDM Odyssey that was pimpin with a body kit and everything? i'd hit that...hehe

back to reality, even USDM mini vans are starting to get somewhat sporty...once again like the odyssey...thats a pretty daym sharp lookin mini van...

if i had a family of say two or three kids, mini van is DEFINITELY the way to go...screw a 4dr SUV...a buddy of mine just bought a 97 passport and he's got 3 young kids :noo

I really dig DC's tow and go arrangement tho...i wish yoda or honda had something like that...

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
uh...

why is it everytime a new minivan is released, the design is always "dated"...

case in point the current usdm odyssey...
looks like it should have come out in 8 years ago...

unlike the jdm elysion and odyssey...
truly modern designs... inside AND out.

emphasis on the INSIDE...
their interiors don't look like they focused solely on those damn rugrats...

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
wait a second...

i just realized that the whole appeal of the minivan to me was that my old 86 toyota van was able to fold down all the rear seats flat and you'd have a makeshift bed for resting on those long road trips...

not to mention, the dog loved the space back there...
so did the kids...

whatever happened to this feature?

the coolest thing about the last vw eurovans was that they had the camper option... the roof being able to serve as a tent...

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
AlSi said:
ya i know. im just saying. for the majority of people who drive SUVs (soccer moms) a minivan would fulfill the purpose much better while getting better gas milage/better emissions/better handling. pretty much all minivans get around 25mpg or the diesel dodge sprinter (based on the mercedes) 30mpg.

But they do care about IMAGE! and the illusion of safety. (passive, not active safety). Thats how big SUV's are marketed, either as "tough off road active lifestyle" or as a luxury status symbol. But I agree with you that the minivan or wagon is a much more pragmatic transport for a family...

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
actually, the more and more i see suvs on the road, i have this mentality in my head that it's actually more FEMININE than a minivan now...

if you think about it...
who do you see driving suvs more? women, or men?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
theflipimage said:
actually, the more and more i see suvs on the road, i have this mentality in my head that it's actually more FEMININE than a minivan now...

if you think about it...
who do you see driving suvs more? women, or men?
Well women actually do log more driving hours than men and since the SUV is the new Mom Taxi...well there you go. Plus a lot of women want to feel empowered (to drive like idiots and feel safe doing it)... :rolleyes

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
AlSi said:
I'd say this is mostly correct, but not always. Otherwise there wouldn't be this influx of SRT-8 Grand Cherokees, X5 4.8is's, ML55s, G55s, FX45s, (getting up to a lot of letters and numbers here) supercharged Range Rovers (and a Range Rover Sport), PORSCHE CAYENNE Turbo S, etc. People want it all, it might just not look like it on the whole because fast + SUV = expensive by nature and most people can't afford a fast SUV.

As much as I HATE SUVs, I have to admit I'd much rather drive an SUV than a minivan, no matter the gas mileage. Minivan just says "mommy" and "no fun at all" to me, while at least with an SUV it's rugged and has some possibility of doing something other than hauling kids/cargo. But with that said, a wagon appeals to me more than either of these because it's just a sedan with a tiny amount of added weight. I'd happily drive any German wagon in a heartbeat (last-gen RS4 anyone? RS6?). Only a couple SUVs are SCCA-legal to autocross and no minivans, while all wagons are legal. While I wouldn't autocross one (well, maybe the Audis I would), that really says it all for me as far as the driving experience goes. I WILL NOT ever own a minivan.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
White98LS said:
As much as I HATE SUVs, I have to admit I'd much rather drive an SUV than a minivan, no matter the gas mileage. Minivan just says "mommy" and "no fun at all" to me, while at least with an SUV it's rugged and has some possibility of doing something other than hauling kids/cargo. But with that said, a wagon appeals to me more than either of these because it's just a sedan with a tiny amount of added weight.
You proved my point. It's all about the image and most ppl wouldn't be caught dead driving a minivan, whether they actually need an SUV or not. They'd rather pay out the ass for gas and complain to the gov that we need more cheap gas. **CoughIraqCough* When Im a daddy Id rather have a perfomance wagon too :number1

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
xturbo420x said:
lmao at the guy pointing at the photographer.
'OMGZ0RS!!!! THERE'S TEH PHOTOGRAPHER!!! COVER IT COVER IT!!!"

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
White98LS said:
I'd say this is mostly correct, but not always. Otherwise there wouldn't be this influx of SRT-8 Grand Cherokees, X5 4.8is's, ML55s, G55s, FX45s, (getting up to a lot of letters and numbers here) supercharged Range Rovers (and a Range Rover Sport), PORSCHE CAYENNE Turbo S, etc. People want it all, it might just not look like it on the whole because fast + SUV = expensive by nature and most people can't afford a fast SUV.
that's just because the profit margin on them is huge.
the vast majority of SUVs are heavy sluggish fuel guzzlers.

the weight of a minivan is much closer to the weight of a wagon than it is to a SUV simply because it doesnt use a truck's frame.

2006 Dodge Magnum
Curb Weight: 4339 lbs

2006 Honda Odyssey
Curb Weight: 4378 lbs

2007 GMC Yukon
Curb Weight: 5838 lbs

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
i don't want to judge too soon before i see the whole thing but so far i'm not to impressed

1 - 20 of 20 Posts