Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm desperately in need of some bass. Not a giant amount of power, just some nice clean bass to complement the rest of my basic system. I'd also like something that won't take up too much space in the trunk of my Si, either.

What would you recommend as far as going sub/amp/box in my ~200 price range? I've considered finding an infinity basslink, would anyone recommend one? And I hear I should stay far away from tubes. . . but would one suit my needs?

Thanks!

Any links to past threads would be helpful too, in case I didn't find them myself.

·
Registered
127 Posts
JadeFalcon said:
I'm desperately in need of some bass. Not a giant amount of power, just some nice clean bass to complement the rest of my basic system. I'd also like something that won't take up too much space in the trunk of my Si, either.

What would you recommend as far as going sub/amp/box in my ~200 price range? I've considered finding an infinity basslink, would anyone recommend one? And I hear I should stay far away from tubes. . . but would one suit my needs?

Thanks!

Any links to past threads would be helpful too, in case I didn't find them myself.
200$ can get you either (1) of those. but not all 3. 2 out of the 3 is pushing it.

·
Registered
296 Posts
well you want good bass, your gonna have to anty up some mula. i wouldnt go with anything else except some jl audios. their w0's have the best bang for the buck. you can get 2 for about 150 and they hit pretty hard. if you wanna move up a bit their w6v2 are sold on ebay for about 250. you only need one which will satisfy your space problem. the w6v2 gives the cleanest bass i have ever heard.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the insight. . . I think I'm either gonna go for something simple like an infinity basslink or just wait till I feel like spending some more cash.

:)

·
Registered
189 Posts
i would lean more towards waiting till ur ready to spend some cash. u won't get good bass with $200. $500 it can be done. but not $200

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
$200 is kinda pushing it. Dont forget about the cost of wires and labor if you dont know how to do it yourself.

basslink are pretty good but I would test them out before you buy them or buy them form a place that you can return if you dont like it. For some people the basslink are fine, they will give you enough bass in your civic. But if you can save up another $300 or so to spend you can get a pretty nice setup.

10" Infinty Perfect $125 shipped
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3291&item=5755034873&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

MTX THUNDER 311D $150 shipped
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=18797&item=5755160755&rd=1

INFINITY REFERENCE 310A $160 shipped
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=18797&item=5755355804&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

The subs will be kinda underpowered with those amp but I want able to find any good deals on ebay at this time. But it should give you plenty of power and a lot better than the basslink. The box and wires should cost you another $70 or so.

·
Registered
55 Posts
You would be better off waiting. You can find decent subs fairly cheap but it's the amp that will set you back, unless you can find a used one at a good price. My first system was a JL 15" W4 and a Fosgate Punch 45. Got the sub for free from my cousin and the amp was $150. Built the box myself and already had the head unit ($130).

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
yea I would recommend you buying a used amp from someone. I owned 3 used amp so far and had no problem with any of them. I got a really good deal on all of them too.

I had a PG Octane R series 8.0.1 for about $120 picked up. That amp goes for about $350 brand new ebay price is about $250 or so

I had an older model RF amp, forgot what model it was but it was pushing about 600wRMSx1 @2ohm for about $130 picked up

The amp that I am using right now is a Kicker DX700. Picked it up for about $135 used but with box and birth sheet that rated it at 756wRMSx1 @2ohm :eek

You just gotta know where to look. If you dont mind buying used stuff I would highly recommend getting a used amp.

·
Registered
388 Posts
personally i think $200 is barely enough to cover a good subwoofer, not to mention the amp and box. for all three, the cheapest i would see myself going is $300, probably closer to $400. if you really shop around, you could probably pull it off on ebay with a used system. i remember when i was looking for my system there were people selling used subs in enclosures hooked up to amps. you might want to look into that. and lastly, i believe audiobahn puts out a self enclosed subwoofer system in a fiberglass box or something. it's not that great, and it's expensive retail, but you can find it for cheap on ebay.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the help guys. . . you all and a friend have convinced me to wait and spend the extra cash. With my luck, something else will prolly take my money before then, but at least I've got a better idea of the numbers in my head. Thanks for all the info!

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
how about my never been used 12" Image dynamics IDQv1 dual 4ohm for $100 shipped? :D

a great sub with an okay amp will sound better than a cheap sub with a good amp.

my advice is to save up another $100 and your options will widen a lot. i learned the hard way and now i have too many stuff not in use. :(

·
Registered
333 Posts
tytyguy said:
i wouldnt go with anything else except some jl audios. their w0's have the best bang for the buck. the w6v2 gives the cleanest bass i have ever heard.
Another JL worshipper, sorry dude, but JL is not all that, they are good equipment, but they are pretty overpriced. and if you think the w6v2 gives the cleanest bass you've ever heard, i'll give you that.. "you've ever heard".. you must not have heard too many subs then have you? There are lots of manufacturers that makes subs that produces cleaner/louder/deeper/harder/etc... than JL. I'm not trying to get smart with you, I'm just stating the truth, that JL is pretty overpriced. You can get better for the money.

Anyhow.. back to the qustion... A lot of people here will tell you the same thing they have told me, go out and listen to your choices, which ever you like best is the choice for you, as far as money goes.. you get what you pay for, 200.. that may not be enough for even one piece of the set-up (sub, enclosure, amp, wiring, labor if you're not installing it).... i spent 250 for my IDmax 10, and 300 for my PPI amp, considering the amp was a used one, wiring costed me a little more than 100 dollars.. and it's not even near as clean as I would like my bass. Just to give you an example. Go out and check out a lot of subs, amps, talk to people.. and save some more money.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts