Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to clarify my statements from the use of force/concealed carry thread.
Victim walks into a room where there is a suspect with a non-gun weapon 20 feet away but not charging. This is where I did leave out some pertinent information that is related to training. Robber is in the building with a non-gun weapon and standing 20 feet away and not charging. I said not to shoot. That's not black and white and I should have added more.

The victim would unholster and point their gun at the target, eyes to gun (eye on sights, sights on target), and start giving commands ("put down the knife", "Put your hands up", "don't move"). In this situation, now the gun is out and ready.
The 21 foot rule is about not being in the ready state (gun in holster) when there is a knife/hammer/etc. armed suspect within 21 feet.
The part about not shooting is multi-faceted. I want to clarify. Yes, 20 feet is close. Unholstering takes time and getting the gun on target takes time. A suspect can cut a victim (with a holstered gun) within 20 feet. There's no worth in "what if'ing" that scenario. If the suspect was turned around and with a knife and 20 feet away, shooting the suspect in the back may result in a criminal charge against the victim.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
My step dad teaches this stuff for KY and OH. I know the 21 foot rule is what it is in most states. I know in KY, they are trying to pass that law for on property cases, or were last time I talked to him. He wasn't a fan of it. KY has it so long as they are on your property, you can fire after a warning, and that even includes police.

I made a joke with him one time about doing a hip draw and fire. Like how cowboys did it in the past. I know it is possible to get accurate with practice. He agreed but a lot of people won't ever do that. What's your opinion on this?

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My step dad teaches this stuff for KY and OH. I know the 21 foot rule is what it is in most states. I know in KY, they are trying to pass that law for on property cases, or were last time I talked to him. He wasn't a fan of it. KY has it so long as they are on your property, you can fire after a warning, and that even includes police.
I can see why your step dad is not a fan of it. I think it mainly has to do with training and the outcome going south for the victim in court. I'm an ex-cop just to let you know. You can't just have a law out there that says, you are okay to shoot someone at 21 feet or less away who has a deadly non-gun weapon, without training.

I made a joke with him one time about doing a hip draw and fire. Like how cowboys did it in the past. I know it is possible to get accurate with practice. He agreed but a lot of people won't ever do that. What's your opinion on this?
Hip draw and fire is a part of police training. There are two ways to do it. Just for officer safety reasons, I am not going into details.

Shooting from the hip is when the cop is in an immediate crappy situation at a close quarters range. In hip shooting, accuracy is not the goal. You practice to unholster quickly and get the pistol pointed at the target. Accuracy at this range means hitting the target anywhere.

I agree, a lot of people won't do that (hip shooting) because it's something you learn in police training or tactical firearm training class (military or self-defense) to properly use it. You can't just self-teach it from a book or video.

·
Registered
13,443 Posts
In a home you can nearly always throw out the 21ft rule. Most of the small "economic" houses I am in when i work I try and get out of and do my business outside. With that being said, here in FL if you feel like you are at risk, you can drop that dude without any commands. We had one a few weeks ago. Teen starts slamming on this guys door at 4am. The homeowner thinks something might be wrong so he opens the door. The teen charges him so he fires and kills the teen. The guy never even had to go to our station for an interview.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just be like the UK and don't have the need for armed police officers because we don't have guns readily available. Only kidding, not gonna hijack this for a gun debate thread. Never heard of that rule before, interesting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts