Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FOR RELEASE: 2006-06-23

CONTACTS

2007 Saturn Sky Red Line Features Turbocharged Value

260-horsepower roadster to start at $27,895

Detroit – Today, Saturn announced that the 2007 Sky Red Line will be available this fall at a starting manufacturer’s suggested retail price of $27,895 (including destination charges). Retailers are now taking orders for the turbocharged variant of the Sky roadster, which is one of the hottest selling cars in the auto market.

The Sky Red Line features the 2.0L Ecotec Turbo engine, equipped with direct injection technology. It produces 260 horsepower and 260 lb.-ft. of torque, making it General Motors’ highest specific output engine ever at 2.1 horsepower per cubic inch of displacement.

“Through its design and advanced technology, the Sky Red Line shows that Saturn is making vehicles like never before,” said Dave Smidebush, Saturn’s director of marketing. “But the Sky Red Line also demonstrates that the brand’s commitment to great value and innovation in our product lineup is as strong as ever.”

Along with the boost in horsepower and torque, the Sky Red Line features a long list of standard equipment including:

Stabilitrak electronic stability control
Traction control
Close-ratio five-speed manual transmission with self-adjusting clutch
Four-wheel ABS disc brakes
Limited slip differential
Performance-tuned suspension with coil-over Bilstein monotube shocks
Air conditioning
Power locks, windows and mirrors
OnStar with one year of Safe & Sound service
The Sky Red Line will accelerate from 0-60 mph in about 5.5 seconds, and will run the quarter mile in about 13.9 seconds.

Saturn, a division of General Motors Corp., sells vehicles in the U.S. and Canada through a network of about 500 retailers, with a focus on providing innovative products with solid value and excellent customer service. In 2006, the brand begins a major revitalization of its portfolio with five new vehicles: the Sky and Sky Red Line roadsters, Aura midsize sports sedan, Vue Green Line Hybrid and Outlook large crossover utility. These new vehicles join the current lineup that includes the Ion compact sedan and quad coupe, Vue compact SUV and the Relay crossover van.
Pretty good. The Pontiac version should cost even less.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,154 Posts
FujiFast said:
What exactly is a self-adjusting clutch?
I'm not sure why they specify that, as almost ALL hydraulic clutches are self adjusting. That's why you have a hyd fluid reservoir: to make up for clutch friction material and pressure plate wear.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,144 Posts
That's a killer deal... I'd love to test drive one once it comes out. Surprised/disappointed that it's only a 5-speed though, are they really that unwilling to develop a new transmission?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
235 Posts
yoshidoshi123 said:
not interested.

eh, and you clicked why? Oh, to be sure everyone knew you wernt interested right. Well, who gives a shit. And base model RSXs are ass.

The sky and solstice are both nice cars, nice to see GM stepping up with some good stuff.

Although this whole (the ecotech motor is amazing) stuff im hearing is kind bull, its got no more in its design than a D16a6 out of a 4 gen Si.But 260 horses is 260 horses.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,702 Posts
Nathan123 said:
I'm not sure why they specify that, as almost ALL hydraulic clutches are self adjusting. That's why you have a hyd fluid reservoir: to make up for clutch friction material and pressure plate wear.
not everyone is informed of the fact that you already stated...therefore, their specify of "self adjusting" will attract more buyers as it sounds very advanced... :hehe :hehe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39,372 Posts
dr_dohc said:
lolz at myself...

i saw sky and ***line at a glance and thought of skyline so i clicked on this...if only it was true that there was a 260hp awd skyline for $28K :lol2
lol-i did the same exact shit...

anyways, seems like a pretty cool car. i think i saw it at the javist center in NYC when they had the car show there in april. its nice, but still too small for my liking. i would almost be afraid to drive it next to these huge suv's today.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,144 Posts
bojacks said:
260hp in something the size of a miata is awesome!!!!
The size of a Miata but the WEIGHT of a Miata with 3 people (somehow) in it. It's a good ~500lbs heavier than a new MX-5, could easily top 3000lbs in supercharged form. The Mallet Solstice with the LS2 V8 swap weighs very nearly the same as the C6 Vette the engine came from.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,173 Posts
blackzc said:
eh, and you clicked why? Oh, to be sure everyone knew you wernt interested right. Well, who gives a shit. And base model RSXs are ass.

The sky and solstice are both nice cars, nice to see GM stepping up with some good stuff.

Although this whole (the ecotech motor is amazing) stuff im hearing is kind bull, its got no more in its design than a D16a6 out of a 4 gen Si.But 260 horses is 260 horses.
aahah. i never said i loved my car but i never said i didn't. and i never said i'd take my car over the sky :nuts . i'd much rather take the crossfire. sure the sky offers something great for the price. but its not my kind of styling. once you find a car with great techs behind it, the next thing you notice is the styling. i will never buy a car that ugly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,144 Posts
yoshidoshi123 said:
once you find a car with great techs behind it, the next thing you notice is the styling. i will never buy a car that ugly.
...and yet you'd buy a Crossfire instead??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
849 Posts
White98LS said:
The size of a Miata but the WEIGHT of a Miata with 3 people (somehow) in it. It's a good ~500lbs heavier than a new MX-5, could easily top 3000lbs in supercharged form. The Mallet Solstice with the LS2 V8 swap weighs very nearly the same as the C6 Vette the engine came from.
yeah i checked it
sky is ~2800lbs
new miata is 2400lbs

400 lbs is alot. but 100 hp increase is a DAMN lot. sure it might not be as chuckable as the miata, but 260hp is nothing to scoff at.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,144 Posts
yoshidoshi123 said:
yes. the crossfire's styling is sharp and aggressive, to me. the sky doesn't appeal to me. why are you making such a big deal about this? do ALL of us have to agree on everything? :rolleyes
I was just jokin around man.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,144 Posts
bojacks said:
yeah i checked it
sky is ~2800lbs
new miata is 2400lbs

400 lbs is alot. but 100 hp increase is a DAMN lot. sure it might not be as chuckable as the miata, but 260hp is nothing to scoff at.
Manufacturer's listed weight for the base Sky is 2933lbs. The Miata is more like 2500lbs.

Ehh 260hp isn't that amazing to me in a car that weighs nearly 3000lbs (the supercharged model will weigh significantly more than the current one, not only b/c of the engine but also beefed up suspension, brakes, driveline, etc.). However, 260lb/ft in a car of that weight is something to get excited about, especially with an LSD and everything else it comes with.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
849 Posts
White98LS said:
Manufacturer's listed weight for the base Sky is 2933lbs. The Miata is more like 2500lbs.

Ehh 260hp isn't that amazing to me in a car that weighs nearly 3000lbs (the supercharged model will weigh significantly more than the current one, not only b/c of the engine but also beefed up suspension, brakes, driveline, etc.). However, 260lb/ft in a car of that weight is something to get excited about, especially with an LSD and everything else it comes with.
with the turbo 260hp you are almost garenteed about equal torque to hp with domestic engines. if not a little higher. but definetly 260ft/lbs will stick you in your seat and put a smile on your face. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,597 Posts
personally, i really like the sky redline. i think it's has great styling and performance. and i like how saturn has a no B.S. policy to pricing.

if mazda comes out with the MX-5 MPS (265hp) like they said they were it's going to be a tough competition.





 
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top