Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, i dont know what the problem is, when im driving normally, shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear is fine, but when i drive a bit more aggresively (sp?) 2nd to 3rd grinds like a mother, but only at 40-45 MPH, anything lower is ok. Any ideas? could it just be my driving?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Could be your synchros, could be your clutch, could be more...
I suggest changing your transmission fluid and using GM Snychromesh Manual trans fluid. This will get rid of the "grind." Ive seen it work...
But that's a temp fix...grinding means --- :noo

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
How much is a syncro's? is that the same thing as rebuilding your tranny, i have the same problem except 5th gear grinds(think i got it worse)? Could syncros be bought somehwere reliable?

·
Registered
268 Posts
you would need both 2nd and 3rd syncros
i got a tranny that had new 2nd and 3rd's put in and the shop gave me the reciet of the syncro's. they were $275.00 for both....
i got a deal cuz i got my whole tranny for less then them 2 syncros :)

·
Registered
268 Posts
oh yea, syncro's can be bought from your honda dealer

thats where the ones that were put in my tranny were from, so maybe you might be able to get them cheaper somewhere....dealers always charge more

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
so i would need a syncro for the gears the grind only? or how would i check to see which ones i need. Sometimes when i slow down and have to put it in 1st, 1st gear wont let me in, i would have to put it in 2nd then up 1st.

I thinkin i would be better off rebuilding my tranny.

·
Registered
268 Posts
you would have to look at your syncros before you know which ones you need.
2nd and 3rd gear syncros are usually always the first to go in honda tranny's

as for the 1st gear thing, not to sure what it could be
maybe the shift linkage could be catching on something
or maybe your going to fast to be in first gear, i know that when im going kinda fast, and i try to go into first i have to hold it there for a couple seconds. while im holding it there, i can hear what i think is the flywheel speed up realy fast, and once it gets fast enough, it lets me in the gear

·
Registered
20,101 Posts
DelSolman03 said:
i know that when im going kinda fast, and i try to go into first i have to hold it there for a couple seconds. while im holding it there, i can hear what i think is the flywheel speed up realy fast, and once it gets fast enough, it lets me in the gear
What your hearing is the snycro working extremely hard to match the speed of the gear with the speed of the main shaft, it is also a death cry from your syncro. Please save the syncro's and don't do that.
91Vtec said:
so i would need a syncro for the gears the grind only? or how would i check to see which ones i need. Sometimes when i slow down and have to put it in 1st, 1st gear wont let me in, i would have to put it in 2nd then up 1st.

I thinkin i would be better off rebuilding my tranny.
You would already have it tore apart anyways and replaceing syncros is rebuilding your tranny if you don't have any broken parts. Just have a reputible shop rebuild it if you are that worried about it.

·
Registered
20,101 Posts
If you call them and tell them what your probelm is and what kind of car it is they should beable to give you a ball park for just labor if nuthin needs replaced. Then you can decide to rebuild or buy another used one that might do the samething.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.