Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well im in quite a predicament. i have to pass smog, i went this passed thurs and failed misserably at the california smog ref. my car was a "gross polluter" :eek. i had to yank EVVVEERRRYYYYTHING out accept for my pistons and head gasket. im running JDM ITRs and a Mugen head gasket. i have an AEM cai, dc header, and my exhaust. all of it is carb legal of course. but i was wondering if running dual cats or even three, yes three cats, would make my car pass smog? im desperate bc i do not want to fork out money to pull out the head gasket that is bumping the comp. and i most certainly will not pull the pistons. the cost of all that would be insane and rediculous just for my car to pass smog. anyone been in this situation or any pointers? all i can think of doing is running two or three cats. here is the results from my smog check:



IF ANYONE CAN HELP ILL BE FOREVER IN DEBT!!!!!!! any help or advice would be appreciated

EDIT***and i have ITR intake valves and a walbro 255 fuel pump
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,160 Posts
something is wrong with your car. What year is it? Having your listed mods will not mmake you fail smog.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,836 Posts
its not really a matter of how many cats you have, its how efficently they work. in order for them to work right, they have to get pretty hot, which in turn basically burns off excess shit in the exhaust, and leaves mostly water vapor left over.with all your mods you were running before, your cat just might be fubar. slap a new one on and see if it will pass then. also, are you running a chipped ecu, or vafc or anything like that? cus the change in fuel curves will totally fuck up your smog. i had a chipped ecu in my hatch, and when i went for smog it blew 20 times the legal limit. didnt get it fixed seeings how it was stolen a week later :mad
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
CivicPwR_56 said:
its not really a matter of how many cats you have, its how efficently they work. in order for them to work right, they have to get pretty hot, which in turn basically burns off excess shit in the exhaust, and leaves mostly water vapor left over.with all your mods you were running before, your cat just might be fubar. slap a new one on and see if it will pass then. also, are you running a chipped ecu, or vafc or anything like that? cus the change in fuel curves will totally fuck up your smog. i had a chipped ecu in my hatch, and when i went for smog it blew 20 times the legal limit. didnt get it fixed seeings how it was stolen a week later :mad
its a 94 GSR. i have a new cat on there that is not even a year old and it works fine. i also forgot to menchin that i have ITR intake valves and a walbro 255 fuel pump on there. i HAD chipped ECU but i put a stock p72 in there for smog. and i do have a VAFC but the fuel curves have not been touched wut so ever. only the vtec engagement has been changed on it. i donno wut to do?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
409 Posts
I love Florida no emissions :clap :D , but im sure some of these moderators can help you. Someone help this guy. Did u try the search? Try pm'ing some of the mods and see if they can give u any advice. goood luck. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,555 Posts
acuragsr18 said:
i had to yank EVVVEERRRYYYYTHING out accept for my pistons and head gasket. im running JDM ITRs and a Mugen head gasket. i have an AEM cai, dc header, and my exhaust. all of it is carb legal of course.
acuragsr18 said:
i also forgot to menchin that i have ITR intake valves and a walbro 255 fuel pump on there. i HAD chipped ECU but i put a stock p72 in there for smog. and i do have a VAFC but the fuel curves have not been touched wut so ever

did you yank out the fuel pump and put the stock one back in?
if you didnt, its probably running crazy rich at idle and low to mid rpm's.

if you already replaced the walbro with a stock one you cant just yank out all your mods a leave the VAFC untouched. you'll have to have it set for your current stock mods.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
iLLeFFeKt CiViC said:
did you yank out the fuel pump and put the stock one back in?
if you didnt, its probably running crazy rich at idle and low to mid rpm's.

if you already replaced the walbro with a stock one you cant just yank out all your mods a leave the VAFC untouched. you'll have to have it set for your current stock mods.
no the fuel pump is still in there and i didnt think to pull it out. the VAFC is untouched, just the vtec has been raised to 6.8k since i had it camed. im guessing that it is running way rich with the 255l walbro.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,708 Posts
u could go to a dyno and get it tuned pretty lean just enough to wear your car is running safely and go get checked again
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,160 Posts
BlazSean said:
u could go to a dyno and get it tuned pretty lean just enough to wear your car is running safely and go get checked again
If he tunes it correctly he wont have to tune it to run lean just for emissions. I think the fuel pump is the problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,708 Posts
Prelude94' said:
If he tunes it correctly he wont have to tune it to run lean just for emissions. I think the fuel pump is the problem.
i wasnt disagreeing with the fuel pump idea i was just saying if that wasnt it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,254 Posts
the injectors and ecu control how much fuel goes in. the fuel pump just makes sure there is enough fuel there. something has to be wrong. i would get it dynoed and the vafc tuned and see what that tells you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah i guess i have no option but to take it and have it looked at. this fucking sucks that i have to spend money, to have it dynoed, SO IT CAN PASS SMOG!!! fuuuck!!!! is there any way around this shit, i mean there has to be a way to cheat the system just for one smog run. all i need is for it to pass and thats it, im done till 06' for smog unless i get sent to the ref again :bh !!!!! most likely ill have it looked at
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,140 Posts
Ok. I went through this shit too. I went to the ref 8 times before I finally passed, and hopefully you won't have too. I also have a GSR motor with about 10.8:1 compression and ITR cams and pistons. What kind of cat do you have on their? Is it a a stock GSR cat? if it's a high flo cat, replace it with a stock GSR cat. Change your spark plugs, cap&rotor, fuel filter, clean your air filter and change your oil. Also run some seafoam through your engine and replace your o2 sensor if it's old. Ok here comes the part thats gonna make the most difference, which is how I passed with trial and error. You're gonna need to mess with your VAFC. Put your VTEC engagement point at 4400 rpms. Also try taking away some fuel, like -3 from 1000 rpms to 4000 rpms, in both the Hi and Lo VTEc fuel curves. Hopefully this will help. When I passed I had taken away -2 from 1000-4000 rpms and it barely passed, but your readings are slightly higher. You don't wanna take away too much because your NOx might go up too much, if you take away the right amount your HC and CO will come down and your Nox will still be low enough to pass. It looks like your car just wasn't hot enough for the 15 mph test because your NOx came way down in the 25 mph. Drive your car for like half an hour before the test and get it really hot, drive it at a constant rpm like close to 4000 if possible. And leave it running when you're waiting for the ref to come out and check your car. They will let you leave it on if you ask them. Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hybrid Fever said:
Ok. I went through this shit too. I went to the ref 8 times before I finally passed, and hopefully you won't have too. I also have a GSR motor with about 10.8:1 compression and ITR cams and pistons. What kind of cat do you have on their? Is it a a stock GSR cat? if it's a high flo cat, replace it with a stock GSR cat. Change your spark plugs, cap&rotor, fuel filter, clean your air filter and change your oil. Also run some seafoam through your engine and replace your o2 sensor if it's old. Ok here comes the part thats gonna make the most difference, which is how I passed with trial and error. You're gonna need to mess with your VAFC. Put your VTEC engagement point at 4400 rpms. Also try taking away some fuel, like -3 from 1000 rpms to 4000 rpms, in both the Hi and Lo VTEc fuel curves. Hopefully this will help. When I passed I had taken away -2 from 1000-4000 rpms and it barely passed, but your rwadings are slightly higher. you don't wanna take away too much because your NOx might go up, if you take away the right amount your HC and CO will come down and your Nox will still be low enough to pass. I bet anything the reason your Nox are so high is because of your cat. I changed mine from a high flo to a tock GSR and they went from almost 3000ppm to like 200ppm. Do these things, go again, and get back to me.
u are the shit brother, rep for u and i will get on this sometime this coming week. right now i have a 2.25" aftermarket cat that i got bc my stock cat went bad. i donno if i can come up on a stock GSR cat. the current cat i have right now doesnt even have 3000 miles on it. i have denso plugs that prob have 15,000 miles on them or so and nology hotwires but theyre carb legal. i have the AEM fuel filter and ill buy a new replacent filter. oil was changed last week. my pistons have probably around 3,000 on them if that. my buddy who built my teg said they wore in perfectly and seated up just right. u think ill have to yank the mugen head gasket too???


THANK YOU FOR SOME DIRECTION!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,140 Posts
Anytime man, I don't anyone to have to go through what I did at the fuckin ref. Well if you can, try to get a stock GSR cat. I had a high flo Carsound Cat that wasn't very old and it failed horribly. Then I changed it to a stock GSR cat and the numbers came way down. It wouldn't hurt to yank the head gasket but I know it's probably a hassle. I would just try changing the cat and messing with the VAFC. The VAFC can work wonders if you know how to use it. It took me a few tries, but I finally got it. If anything the pistons more likely cause it to run lean, and it looks like you're running rich. Just try messing withe VAFC, take like -3 away from 1000-4000 rpms, maybe even -4. It should be good, and put your VTEC engagement at 4400 which is stock, just to be safe. I'm assuming you're running the stock cams? That will also make a difference. Everything else sounds good, though, you have good plugs and good wires. and the oil was just changed. So try these things and let me know what happens.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hybrid Fever said:
Anytime man, I don't anyone to have to go through what I did at the fuckin ref. Well if you can, try to get a stock GSR cat. I had a high flo Carsound Cat that wasn't very old and it failed horribly. Then I changed it to a stock GSR cat and the numbers came way down. It wouldn't hurt to yank the head gasket but I know it's probably a hassle. I would just try changing the cat and messing with the VAFC. The VAFC can work wonders if you know how to use it. It took me a few tries, but I finally got it. If anything the pistons more likely cause it to run lean, and it looks like you're running rich. Just try messing withe VAFC, take like -3 away from 1000-4000 rpms. It should be good, and put your VTEC engagement at 4400 which is stock, just to be safe. I'm assuming you're running the stock cams? That will also make a difference.
yes i took out the JUN 3s cuz those would blow way to high. i have the titanium retainers and valves springs still in there. i also have the ITR intake valves. ill do the head gasket if i ABSOLUTELY need too :(
 
1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top