Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up, i have a 97 Si sol and i want to get an exhaust for it...I plan to boost in the future but i dont want to spend money on 2 different exhaust setups so my question is how much would running a 3" catback hurt me while im still running n/a? i dont really plan to put down much more than 250whp after boosting so maybe i should just go with like a 2.5" and call it good? any suggestions? Thanks alot!

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
ok, so turbo exhaust and na exhaust are two different animals...

a turbo provides muffling. therefore you can run bigger, straighter exhaust to get the most out of the turbo. this exhaust, without the turbo to quiet it, will be extremely loud. as in stopped by the police no way thats legal loud.

obviously, na exhaust is quieter, but does not allow you to get the most out of a turbo.

definate turbo plans??? just wait on the exhaust. it will be worth it in the end.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Snoopy said:
2.5'' is a good trade off between turbo and NA
Thats what i was thinking...since i dont plan to make any extreme numbers even after i boost, i figured a 2.5" exhaust should do just fine for boost and it wont hurt me the way i sit right now!

·
Mowing ur Mom's lawn
2,885 Posts
2.5'' is ok for turbo, but if you're like everyone else that turbo's you're going to want more power down the road. I'd get the 3'' just so it's there when i need it, you will spool faster and make a little more power.

if you need the piping in 2.5'' or 3'' check out www.kteller.com :tu

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
i have 3" all the way back and it tapers into a 2.5" axleback....

some people off nasioc are happy with 2.5 and 3" is only used to squeeze out power over ~320 (on a subie)

i like the high end of a 3" but i wanted to keep some low end. off the line sucked for my car until it could turn the turbo over.....

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
kory_69_187 said:
since i dont plan to make any extreme numbers even after i boost,
yeah sure you dont plan to now, but just wait...
might as well wait to get the exaust so you have a better picture of how much power you wanna make. your goals for your car might change.

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
stock subbie comes with a 2.5" dia exhaust pushing 14.5psi

i gained 45+whp and sh*t load of torque with a 3" turboback exhaust with UTEC engine management

BUT since you are wanna run 250whp... a 2.5" will suffice...but at the sametime a 3" piping will be good too...

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
hobie237 said:
ok, so turbo exhaust and na exhaust are two different animals...

a turbo provides muffling. therefore you can run bigger, straighter exhaust to get the most out of the turbo. this exhaust, without the turbo to quiet it, will be extremely loud. as in stopped by the police no way thats legal loud.

obviously, na exhaust is quieter, but does not allow you to get the most out of a turbo.

definate turbo plans??? just wait on the exhaust. it will be worth it in the end.

waht was all of that about

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
hobie237 said:
the 2.5" should be fine... if ur not planning to make a shitload of power... but different exhausts are designed for turbo or na cars...

they are all pretty much the same thing.....pipes...their are no major differences between turbo and NA exhausts except size

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
soul 93 said:
they are all pretty much the same thing.....pipes...their are no major differences between turbo and NA exhausts except size

yeah, its all made of pipe, thats all they have in common... the turbo exhausts that i've seen that work best are very open and straight instead of less free flowing na exhausts that help quiet the car down...

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
boostaholic said:
stock subbie comes with a 2.5" dia exhaust pushing 14.5psi

i gained 45+whp and sh*t load of torque with a 3" turboback exhaust with UTEC engine management

BUT since you are wanna run 250whp... a 2.5" will suffice...but at the sametime a 3" piping will be good too...

the sti's did for sure, i believe the 02-03 wrx was slightly smaller....

although wiht a subaru, getting rid of 3 cats (or replacing with higher flowing cats) always helps too :D (2 in the case of the sti)

but wiht a del sol, there will be so much less back pressure issues because the pipes arent nearly as long.

in any case, i
d recomend 2.5"

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.