Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend has the 220hp model 3000GT (it's a 1995)... V6 but no turbo or anything, just an upgraded intake. I've got a 2000 Lude with no mods yet. Both are 5spd manuals - what are my chances against this thing? We're guessing that my Lude will probably win out by a little bit mostly because his car weighs a little over 1000lbs more than mine. What do you all think?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think that his will probably break before it gets to the finish line...so your in a good place...I almost bought one of those things (3000gt) but was strongly recommended not to by quite a few used card dealers and a few mechanics...

Anyway...tell us how it goes...should be interesting...

·
Registered
61 Posts
According to the specs on both cars, if properly driven, you should come out ahead.

3000GT SL does 0-60 in about 8, and 1/4 mile in about 16.

2000 Prelude does 0-60 in about 6.8, and the 1/4 in about 15.4.

Just don't miss a shift. :eek:

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Vertical_Zer0 said:
We're guessing that my Lude will probably win out by a little bit mostly because his car weighs a little over 1000lbs more than mine.
Ummm... NO. I don't know who passed you the crack pipe (or the bad info), but that's not the case. Your car has a 2954 pound curb weight. A base model '95 3000GT is about 3252. NOT 1000 pounds.
Here's the way I see it:
They are both FWD pigs, so nobody is gonna be launching hard. His car makes 25 more hp, which would put you pretty close to even ground in power/weight ratio. BUT... he makes TONS more torque. Like 50% more. Even with your slightly better gearing, he'll probably take you on the street. Overall, though, pretty much a driver's race. You guys shouldn't be more than a car apart at the end of the 1/4, either way. The fastest magazine times I've seen for that car are:
1/4 mi in 15.60 sec @ 91.10 mph
60 - 0 in 126 ft
Lateral grip on the skid track 0.85g
VERY close to mag times you'll find on a base Prelude like yours.

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
Chukkie said:
I think that his will probably break before it gets to the finish line...so your in a good place...I almost bought one of those things (3000gt) but was strongly recommended not to by quite a few used card dealers and a few mechanics

how many of those have YOU owned to know that they break down. the mechanics told you not to get them because they know its a bitch to work on them not because they break down.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
You should come out on top (if both drivers are good). This is where vtec is your savior. Seriously it's going to be a close race until the higher gears where you should start pulling from him slightly. Don't be surprised if he gets you off the line, those are some torquey mofos.

I've raced a couple but I have a lot of mods, and I'm also a 4gen vtec so I dunno about you... :eek:

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
iLLeFFeKt CiViC said:
how many of those have YOU owned to know that they break down. the mechanics told you not to get them because they know its a bitch to work on them not because they break down.

the FWD non turbo ones suck ass, my buddy in highschool had one and was afraid to drive it hard, ever. it was babied alot and it still spent about a month out of every year in the shop. plus i beat him the three times he got on it in my 91 maxima. youll win in the lude, hands down.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Having owned a 99 3000GT SL and a 98 Prelude SS (Both Stock) in the last year. I'd say it might come down to who's the better driver. The GT is heavier for sure and of the line I wasn't impressed. Lets just say I had more fun in the Prelude even though it was an auto pos. you shouldn't have a problem unless you mis a shift.
I think you nailed it on the head when you said "my Lude will probably win out by a little bit".
Tzer

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
friend had a stealth and my other friend had a 97 prelude w/ an exhaust. Im not sure how much different there is between the stealth and the 3000gt , but I must say the stealth pulled a good bit throughout all of the gears

·
Registered
265 Posts
i cant say to much for the NA 3000gt as far as thing breaking but the TT verson is allmost bullet proof except for the transfer case :( i have had 2 3000gt vr4's and i still have a stealth TT .
as far as the race goes he will pull hard on top end. the 3000gt sl makes about 235 ft/lbs of torque and has 220 hp so as long as he luanches it right the 3000 sl will win but if he is like most kids he will just dump it and you will walk him.
any way good luck

·
Registered
59 Posts
Chukkie said:
I think that his will probably break before it gets to the finish line...so your in a good place...I almost bought one of those things (3000gt) but was strongly recommended not to by quite a few used card dealers and a few mechanics...

Anyway...tell us how it goes...should be interesting...

Are you on drug man? I've owned two Hondas, one Toyota, one 3000GT SL, and currently owning a 3000GT VR-4. For me my honda accord and civic broke down more than my mitsubishi. and my SL went over 200K on mileage. As for the ignorance out there who talks about 3000GT breaks easy, it's the transfer case on the VR4. If people baby and drive right on those car, it would last longer than you could ever live. Anyway, for the race, do it and let us know.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Nathan123 said:
Ummm... NO. I don't know who passed you the crack pipe (or the bad info), but that's not the case. Your car has a 2954 pound curb weight. A base model '95 3000GT is about 3252. NOT 1000 pounds.
Here's the way I see it:
They are both FWD pigs, so nobody is gonna be launching hard. His car makes 25 more hp, which would put you pretty close to even ground in power/weight ratio. BUT... he makes TONS more torque. Like 50% more. Even with your slightly better gearing, he'll probably take you on the street. Overall, though, pretty much a driver's race. You guys shouldn't be more than a car apart at the end of the 1/4, either way. The fastest magazine times I've seen for that car are:
1/4 mi in 15.60 sec @ 91.10 mph
60 - 0 in 126 ft
Lateral grip on the skid track 0.85g
VERY close to mag times you'll find on a base Prelude like yours.
That is wrong. My friend has an SL it's a little over 4000lbs I can't remember exactly but read the owners manual and you will see.

·
Registered
395 Posts
i had a tool in a v6 3000gt tailgate me onto the hwy and stay on my ass. when i saw no other traffic i dropped into 4th at 80mph and walked away from him. when i got to my exit he did a ricer flyby as i slowed and began to exit. just race and all will be answered

·
Registered
395 Posts
i don't even wear a watch let alone read a calendar, what day is this n e way?? win or lose as long as you race and race sensibly, just enjoy the adrenaline rush, i do as often as possible. man against man, machine against machine, i personally am a stickler for running comparable vehicles not like a stock mini van against a vette or something, make it worth while and try to be fair when choosing to race.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.