Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I kind of want to change it but my motto is if it ain't broke don't fix it. And 30 mpg is pretty good for my 92si. I don't want to f with it and then get like 15mpg. I'm wondering how important it is to change it every 30k miles

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I coast alot. Basically anytime I see a redlight or stop sign I'll put it into neutral. Also lets say you're aways back coming up on a long stoplight. I'll coast there but as some others floor it to the stoplight I'll put the brakes on a tiny bit when I'm far away and so when the light turns green I'll just pop it into 3rd or 4th instead of coming to a complete stop. Basically always keeping up my momentum and trying to avoid complete stops. Gas is crazy in socal, it went up like 10 cents in 1 day and pushing $3 for the cheap stuff.

·
Registered
8,494 Posts
probably a good idea to change your fuel filter and maybe some fuel system cleaner if you haven't changed it in 185k miles.

If it ain't broke dont fix it is a good motto until fuel particles clog your fuel system and engine after not ever changing it

·
Registered
866 Posts
mikesta21 said:
how accessible is it on the fourth gen? is it just at the back of the firewall?
A hell of a lot more accessible then the 5th gen. :giggle Be glad you don't have one of those.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
piggydog said:
I coast alot. Basically anytime I see a redlight or stop sign I'll put it into neutral. Also lets say you're aways back coming up on a long stoplight. I'll coast there but as some others floor it to the stoplight I'll put the brakes on a tiny bit when I'm far away and so when the light turns green I'll just pop it into 3rd or 4th instead of coming to a complete stop. Basically always keeping up my momentum and trying to avoid complete stops. Gas is crazy in socal, it went up like 10 cents in 1 day and pushing $3 for the cheap stuff.

thats a big misconception. you use no gas if you let off with it in gear and use the engine as a brake. its called injector cutoff. when you put it in neutral your using as much gas as you would idling the car. so technically downshifting and engine braking uses less gas then coasting

·
Registered
214 Posts
Last week i did the moon cut on my valve cover and removed my balancer belt. I drove up to 370 miles with a full tank of gas and i wasnt driving like an old lady either.. I could of gotten up to 400 easily if i didnt drive wildly, and if i didnt warm my car up before i leave for school. Before i did that mod, i average about 330 miles per tank.. Any of you guys who did that mod notice the diffrence it made in mpg???

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
i get like 32mpg with 141k on my 92 si. most of my driving consists of highway driving. fuel filters arent that expensive and if youve got high miles it might be a good idea to change it. preventive maintenance is key

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Im pretty damn due for a fuel filter also (thanks for reminding me) .. so who makes em? Currently im considering BOSCH or AEM ... but is there any other companies I can consider? Prefferably something made in Japan .. :hug

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I know AEM makes one for the 5th gen but I don't believe the 4th gen. Anyways it's way expensive ~$100 for the aem. Probably OEM for me but I'm lazy, so it'll be a few more months till I get around to buying one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.