Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
now before you say anything this is just for: lip, side moldings, skirts, grill and front bumper. the estimator came out, looked at it and said 350-400. i was like wft! the front bumper had chips and everything else was unpainted raw. he said they had to use a "special" primer so the paint will stick onto the oem plastic.

they said they use paint thats better than DuPont. they also have a lot of mercedes, bwm and cadillac clients. when i was in the shop they had this escalade being painted candy red and look damn clean.

is this shop charging too much? i mean its the only good shop within a 50 mile radius of me. 2 other shops quoted me at 250-300 but they were small and didnt have anything to show for it.

·
Registered
381 Posts
that's a fair price for what you're getting done. find out what paint they use. there are many great paint companies.. PPG, DuPont, Sherwin, BASF, Sikkens, etc. if they use one of those or any of a few other good brands, you're good :tu you might get an off brand clearcoat either way though. haha. at our shop we have a contract with sherwin wiliams but use UTECH and Keystone clear on a lot of cars because its much cheaper and actually looks better most of the time. :rolleyes

·
Registered
39,372 Posts
very fair price. if thier work looks good, go with it!!

here in NY places charge 300-350 just for a bumper. shit is too damn expensive here.

·
Registered
401 Posts

The adhesion promotor alone (the special primer they are going to use) is around 85-100 per quart without activator, activator is another 40-50. They will probably use a decent amount of just that on your bumper. Not to mention the base color, clears and thier reducers and activators. Over half of your quote was just material. They must have liked you - a fair estimate would have been in the $500 range. So if they gave you a low quote like that and have some decent work to show - do it before they change thier mind. :)
HENRY

·
Registered
381 Posts
just curious.. what brand paint are these prices for? i would say the exact opposite actually. from what i'm used to (sherwin system at our shop), APO (the adhesion promoter) is actually very cheap and just gets poured straight into the gun, and then extra gets put right back into the can, its kind of a loosely used material. also, the paint used on those parts should cost no more than $20 and the clear maybe $50. i'd say most of that cost would be labor. not trying to be argumentative but like i said, i'm just curious.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts