Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I started testing the phenomena 'speed' in 3d animation and wanted to emphaphis what gives the sense of speed. So I made a very short 3d animation (2 hours work) of a bumpercar going crazy:

http://www.shademaster.nl/movies/bumpercar.mov
(qt6)

After that I wanted to take it further and took a day to make this:

http://www.shademaster.nl/movies/fastfilmdivx.avi
(divx5.0x)

I know it's very corny but I am just starting out with 3d animation. I am currently involved in a home made commercial for a 3D Car (car made by Handige Harrie, not me). I want to make that as realistic as possible:

I worked out a car rig that will allow me to do realistic drifting and automatic steering and banking of the car including realistic particle effects with aerodynamic disruptions behind the car when doing a rolling burnout or drifting. Rendering takes 3 weeks so it will take some time before it's gonna be a solid animation.

I watched a lot of drift movies to get the exact right feeling to the drifts and to get the power of the car across. I'll keep you updated on the progress because maaan is it gonna rock!!

I have been doing 3d graphics for some time now, here's some work o mine (including cars, bikes and babes + some random crap) in wallpaper format.

Shademaster.nl

Thank you for watching!
:)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks a lot guys 'n galls!

I used Cinema 4d 8, a new kid on the block in the high end software market. It has even more features than 3d MAX and is 10 times easier to learn. Here is the website:

Maxon
(there is a free version 6 learning edition available if you want to experiment with it)

And yes all the sounds are from exvitermini :) , I put the JUN supra tunnel run sound in it, the GTR-700 blast off and the 12.000 rpm flyby sound in it. All was edited in Premiere 6.

Thanks for all the great responses!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update!

Because of the great response I decided to render out a preview movie of 1 doughnut simulation (recycled over and over again).
This is just a test btw so no fancy reflections and all the other stuff...

http://www.shademaster.nl/temp/conceptdrift.avi
(divx 5.0x)

Here's a shot of the back:

This is the site of the creator of the car, I did the animation:
Handige-Harrie

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Heh, I don't plan on doing it THAT technical :) , I used expressions (code) to autmate the processes like counter steering, banking, wheelspin/turning and suspension movement.

I tried to do everything with a Rigid body dynamic setup but that proved too slow and doesn't offer as much control as this method. There still is a great deal of keyframing involved so most of the driving part is up to me.

Fortunatly I have a lot of racingsim experience :p so I know how a car should behave under hard driving conditions. Those small little details are sometimes even more important than anything else to make it look believable. Animating can be really hard sometimes but challenging nevertheless!

·
Registered
539 Posts
wow awesome man, amazing stuff.

·
Registered
849 Posts
i am just pretty much starting in 3d animation and 3d max is a bitch!! very STEEP learning curve but rewarding once you figure somthing out. and my goal was also to make a drifting movie with amazing animations. i would love to hear from your experiences with the giggleing camera thing.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cool! I know a lot of people who start out with MAX but can't seem to get above a certain level, MAX needs a lot of 3th party plugins before it is any good for rendering (like final render stage 1 which is the standard renderer for Cinema 4d). The problem with MAX is that it is capable of some really highspec work like superrealistic muscle deformations and almost real physics, but the problem with that is that you need to know those plugins to the core before you can make full use of them. Left alone that together with MAX they will cost you more than a new Civic.

Cinema allready has those expensive plugins inside itself. Somewhat stripped down but that isn't much of a problem since I am not gonna use that extra super hard 10% of those plugins. So if you want to start out I suggest (no offense to the max users) you start out with Bryce if you are a total noob or Cinema which is a step higher. Cinema basicly now has all the features of MAX with a shitload of plugins with it's newest release: 8.5 . It has very fast motionblur (which is crucial for camera shakes), THE fastest raytracer and THE fastest radiosity engine (benchmarked them and cinema's the quickest by 200%). And Cinema's inner structure is less complicated which makes it really easy to work with (logic structure). Ofcourse MAX is better at some points, like Modelling (N-gons) and UV-mapping, that makes MAX perfect for game designers. But lighting, rendering and animation pretty much sucks unless you throw another $3000 at it.

When I did the bumpercar movie I only worked with Cinema 4d for 2 months (every day an hour or 2). I didn't read any manuals, I didn't spend frustrating hours looking for buttons, it was like playing a game, entertaining and rewarding. Everything went so easy! The second movie required some more work, some more modelling, some more animation and some more features like full scene motionblur. If I wanted to do this in max it would have probably costed me a week, but in CInema I got it nailed in a day (frustration less).

I do not want to sound like a MAX hater, I tried all high end software for half a year but I never could reach beyond that mediocre level unless I spend all my time on it. With Cinema it just went automaticly, after 2 months I was making better stuff that I did after 6 months of Lightwave practise. This is ofcourse a personal choice and does not neccessarily apply to other people. If I were you I'd try out all of ehm:

Lightwave Maxon
Max

p.s. There is a learning edition available for Cinema 4d, that means you only pay $240 for the entire package with the only restriction that you can't use it for commercial use but only for eductional. Lightwave, Max and Maya had it too but their renderers are Watermarked and limited to a certain resolution :mad:

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
looking good...

[dutch ranting]
Hoe werken in godsnaam die formules... niet dat ik er veel naar heb gekeken al... ik zit vooral een beetje te modellen en zow... maar toch... :D
(XL R6)
[/dutch ranting]

mmm the boem=ho effect is a little over the top though :lol2:

·
Registered
849 Posts
lol, who said anything about paying for stuff??! lol

i have byrce 5.0 and its great for BASIC shapes and torus and modifing then to get wicked cool shapes and lighting is AMAZING not to mention the materials were SOOOOOO easy to work with.

with max i am STRUGGLEING to get anything to look half descent. i tried to make a ferrari testerosa its ok lookin nothing specatular. but its ok lookin, odd no attachment option.

mind if i get your msn/icq info would be great to hear a 'learns' point of view. will look into getting cinema.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
looking good...

[dutch ranting]
Hoe werken in godsnaam die formules... niet dat ik er veel naar heb gekeken al... ik zit vooral een beetje te modellen en zow... maar toch...
(XL R6)
[/dutch ranting]

mmm the boem=ho effect is a little over the top though
Hehe, well every 3d program needs to be examined a little further than first glances, why don't you check out some of the larger forums to get some help?

http://www.cgtalk.com

has the best cinema 4d forum in the world. They have a huge database too so if you do some searches on stuff you don't know you'll get blown away by the amount of research allready done for you ;)

You can also post Work In Progress threads, there are tons of pro's who would like to help you out. It speeds up the learning process by a 10 fold!

And for everyone who wants to model a car, here are 3 very good links to start you out! (tutorials work with every polygon modeller)

http://www.3dm-mc.com/tutorials/maya/car3/
(car modelling tutorial)

http://www.onnovanbraam.com/
(blueprints including the supra and more Japanese cars and a small tut on how to set up the blueprint planes)

http://www.suurland.com/
(even more blueprints including more stuff like boats and planes)

I think that should get you sorted :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.