Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend wants to buid a 4 X 4 civic coupe '95.
He want to use the tranny from the CRV.
Does anybody knows if this tranny is strong enough to put 350BHP on the road?

95 civic coupe
B20 vtec supercharged @ 14PSI
350BHP

· Registered
2,548 Posts
possible....yes

smart?.....no, not at all. The CRV drivetrain cant handle it, and you'll need a few things, like...

all new suspenion, the car will be higher, custom floorpan, custom fuel tank, lots of other stuff.

Figure on at least 20K to do the conversion, and then its going to blow when you put 350hp to it.

· Registered
24 Posts
Man I was at a gas staion out here in Kansas just got done paying and walking out when I hear an often heard zooming exhaust. I turn and low and I mean LOW and behold comes swooping in a HONDA CIVIC 4wd hatch back from the early 80's
just plain tricked. I was REAL late for work like an hour Otherwise I would have talked to him. So they did make them stock but
350bhp I dont know. There is a tiburon with duel beta motors
and two SEPERATE trannys in it running for that ultimate street car challenge in the FEB 2002 issue.If your serious check that out.

· Registered
12,727 Posts
PseudoRealityX said:
possible....yes

smart?.....no, not at all. The CRV drivetrain cant handle it, and you'll need a few things, like...

all new suspenion, the car will be higher, custom floorpan, custom fuel tank, lots of other stuff.

Figure on at least 20K to do the conversion, and then its going to blow when you put 350hp to it.
its not possible...how would you fit a tranny in there??? 4wd drive one on a smaller wheel base??? the tranny would sit behind the car almost...?? its NOT POSSIBLE unless you want to get out of the car to shift it in reverse have another guy shift or something for you from parking to reverse to drive....then you would have to modify each tire and everything ...fuck it doesn't even have driveshafts...or anything

ITS NOT POSSIBLE!!!!

· Registered
50 Posts
man it eould be easyer and cheeper to just buy a subaru but if you have to do it their is a way but when your done i dout its really goning to be a civic. this is going to be extreamly difficult if you have to.

Does anybody knows if this tranny is strong enough to put 350BHP on the road?
if you don't know the answer to this question im sorry to say that i think that mabby you don't have the knowlage to preform such a task,

dude a 95 civic? id just keep her the way she is.

· Registered
1,017 Posts
It has been done. I don't remember where I saw it but they took the chasis of an old 80's civic 4wheel drive. It was very similar to what they needed. It was a closer match then the CRV. They modified the tranny and actually had a 4 wheel drive honda and a huge hole in their pocket where all the money disappeared from.

· Registered
12,727 Posts
ITS NOT POSSIBLE.....it wouldn't be a civic anymore if you made a 4 wd vehicle...it would be called a CRV...
crx can't have driveshafts....its not possible...unless you used the shell or the body of a crx and somehow put it on a 4wd frame....which I don't even think would fit.

problems making a civic 4WD!!!
1. no room for driveshaft.
2. engine is tranversely mounted....sideways
3. if you put a non transverse engine in; your tranny would sit behind the driver and maybe behind the back seat.
3. there are no axles...no differentials...and no room for either of the two.
4. There is NO ROOM for the tranny to even fit...unless you jacked the car up by like 2-3 feet and the tranny just hung below the car....OR you tore the whole inside out and had a big ass tranny sitting right next to you.
5.......NO ROOM FOR THE DIFFERENTIAL. stuff is in the way...gas tank!
6. How would you fit an engine with enough power in the engine bay??? You can't put any tranversly mounted engine in...therfore you have to cut hole in the front of the car....meaning you have no room for a radiator.
7. its not possible to make a civic a 4wd vehicle unless you spent more money on the civic than buying a crv, subaru wrx, or maybe even a vette/viper.

8. You would be the definition of RICE BOY....plus you would be a dumb ass for even considering 4wd on a civic...and more of dumbass for even spending the money making it a 4wd civic.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know that the tranny from the old shuttle is'n strong enough, so thats the reason we want to use the CRV (manual) tranny.
If we put the rear CRV suspension on the civic it wil be possible to make some room for the rear dif.
The fuel tank should be located somewhere else.
We know its a difficult job, but its gonna be a very special car!

But the main question is: Can the CRV manual tranny put 350bhp on the road?

· Registered
1,880 Posts
The novelty is cool, but its not a good idea. Better off lowering a CRV than turning a Civic into 4WD. Just get a WRX and save some of cash.

· Registered
1,017 Posts
I have seen an article on it before. I will see if I can try and dig it up and post it.

· Registered
9,948 Posts
Yes, it is possible to convert a 95 coupe to 4WD, but its gonna cost too much. What you must do is find a E-EH1 Civic RTX or RTSi Sedan (EG series) in tact. This will be hard for a few reasons, the biggest one is these 4WD japan only civics are extremely rare. Then you have to cut out the floor plan from both cars, and weld in the RTX/RTSi floor plan. The RTS had a single cam ZC engine, the RTSi had a double cam ZC. But the whole excercise is pointless....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.