Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's a good rim/tire size for an EK puttin down around 400hp? I NEED TRACTION! I was thinkin of doin somethin like a 205/50/15 on a set of Fat Fives or something basic ...tryin to go for the sleeper look ;-)

· Registered
141 Posts
you can't get traction and go for the sleeper look, one or the other. If you want traction then get yourself some 13in lenso's ( they will clear gsr brake set ups) with some et streets on them and your good to go. Or go for the sleeper look

· Registered
10,346 Posts
Your ultimate traction control is your right foot. lift up if traction is an issue, there is no good reason for needing traction for a 400hp car on the street.

Buuttt.......

If its a dual purpose car (DD/track) and you wanna stick to one set of rims, get some performance rated tires and leave it. Look for tires that are softer than stock. Im not sure of the terms or whatever, maybe its rolling resistance? Id just go to a tire store and ask, they'd know a lot more than me lol

· Registered
1,221 Posts
get a set of wheels that are nice and wide. like 7 inch or so. get a set of rims. and the get two more spare wheels. on 4 of them put some bfg kdw sports (for street use) and on the other 2 put some mickey thompson slicks (track). there you go. problem solved.

· Registered
60 Posts
For good traction, get a 300 or less treadwear rated tire. Soft rubber, but very little mileage out of them. Only use them on the track or you'll be replacing them every 10-15K. Or if you want a good sleeper look, I've had really good experiences with Kumho ECSTA ASXs or Solus KH16s. They run about $100 a piece from a shop or $90 shipped online (plug mount and balance).

Biggest thing to remember with tires is look at your treadwear, load, and temperature rating. For a higher performance or heavily modified vehicle you want an A or better temperature rating (goes up to AAA). The drawback with a higher temperature rating is a harder compound tire, which means less traction. The lower the temperature rating (goes as low as C or D, do not even touch those tires with a Geo) the faster the tire will wear at operating temperature, so during burnouts or high speed travel, the tire will come apart in chunks or even lose tread.

Ramble in a nutshell, Find a good high or ultra high performance tire with a treadwear rating right around 300 and a temperature rating of A or AA. They'll treat you right. I have 215/40/Z17 Kumho ECSTA ASXs on my car. I get perfect traction even in the worst conditions. I hit a turn at 60 in SCCA and the car stuck perfectly.

· Premium Member
29,824 Posts
umm for 400 hp in a fwd civic. you need lsd, nice suspension, and tires much wider than 205's. i break my 225 lose in my rwd 215whp 240sx.

· Registered
10,346 Posts
umm for 400 hp in a fwd civic. you need lsd, nice suspension, and tires much wider than 205's. i break my 225 lose in my rwd 215whp 240sx.
depends on how that 400hp is made, whether its at redline, midrange, with a big turbo, witha midsized turbo

Hell, I can break my front tires, with a slow revving auto getting maybe 60hp to the tires if im lucky. on 175s though

And your engine isnt sitting over your driving wheels

· Banned
1,613 Posts
im going with WV on this

i don't care if your engine is sitting on your drive wheels or not - weight transfer is a bitch.

also it doesn't matter where on the power band it makes 400hp with those tiny tires it will just blow them up whenever it hits the band (untill you are really moving).

you need a serious tire and a wider wheel LSD is a must not an option - if you wanna keep the sleeper look only race above 60mph :lol

· Registered
1,221 Posts
so OP after reading what some of my buddies on here have told you i got to thinking...

why the fuck did you build a civic to 400 horse... without knowing the necessities of such a high horsepower FWD car.....:rolleyes

· Registered
10,346 Posts
so OP after reading what some of my buddies on here have told you i got to thinking...

why the fuck did you build a civic to 400 horse... without knowing the necessities of such a high horsepower FWD car.....:rolleyes
calm down:D

· Premium Member
29,824 Posts
depends on how that 400hp is made, whether its at redline, midrange, with a big turbo, witha midsized turbo

Hell, I can break my front tires, with a slow revving auto getting maybe 60hp to the tires if im lucky. on 175s though

And your engine isnt sitting over your driving wheels
ummm he said he can't get traction at all. i would assume it was from taking off. either way it's still a fwd 400 hp civic. no way you're putting that down with something as small as 205's

· Registered
60 Posts
sorry bro :hehe but it doesnt fucking make sense to me that someone would build (or even have the knowledge to build ) a 400whp civic... and not know how to put it to the pavement....
Very true, but a LOT of people build cars and never take care of the control systems, like brakes, wheels tires, or suspension. I have a family friend that has built dozens of 600+HP muscle cars, but has no clue how to turn his car into a roadtrack car. Plus, most of us, myself included focus so much on making power, we forget things like tires

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.