Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's raining for a whole week here so I thought it appropriate to start this up. I searched but didnt see anything. As you know, JDM 4g Preludes have a rear wiper. USDM, not so much :rolleyes I know from seeing them in person that the wiper mounts through the rear glass. How hard would it be to retrofit one in there? I know some model Integras had a similar system, mounted in the glass I mean. It would be easy enough to find a wiper motor and control system at a junk yard. I know next to nothing about cutting glass, so how hard or dangerous would it be to have that done? Someone told me that it's really easy to crack glass when cutting it. Mounting and wiring it up should not be so hard, it's just a matter of getting it on the glass.
Any thoughts? Any ideas? Just thought I'd start this random ball rolling, I'd probably not get around to it, but it's worth some thought.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
You know I was just thinking about that with my 5th gen, same scenario been raining for a week and expecting it to keep on raining for another week+. I don't know how hard it would be, but it would be a fairly interesting and handy thing to do.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, and don't get me started with snow... I got used to having the rear wiper in my CRX, really handy seeing what's behind you yeah? Why would Honda skimp on that... folding mirrors, ok I get that, one piece headlights, I get that... but the rear wiper? That's just being cheap. We dont have any body panel room to mount it (like in the trunk or on the side of the car), so it would have to go in the glass like the JDM models... :confused

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Yeah especially in the winter, gotta scrap the back when all you want to do is get in your car and warm up!

I don't know exactly what your situation on space is but the plus side is the JDM preludes have it you said. See if you can get some pictures of those and get a good idea on how they did it.

I'd imagine you could get some sort of motor mounted right next to the rear window on back. Cut through to connect the wiper and seal the hole with some plastic or something. Wire it up to the front dash and get the wires going under the carpet.

Sure somebody could come up with a better idea. I'm not the most innovative thinker, but that's probably a rudementary idea of what would be done.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
I donno how effective wipers are in the snow .. to mean seems like do more ruining of the blade than clearing snow .. Id invest in an ice scraper instead ;)

I prob. be looking at shaving that wiper if i did have it stock ..

·
Registered
98 Posts
the rear wiper is a very hard mod to do. finding the parts and routing the spray. but the biggest problem is cutting the hole to fit all the stuff. your rear windshield could break.

pretty much its not worth the trouble.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TOP END MS said:
I donno how effective wipers are in the snow .. to mean seems like do more ruining of the blade than clearing snow .. Id invest in an ice scraper instead ;)

I prob. be looking at shaving that wiper if i did have it stock ..
well, when I mentioned snow, I didnt mean when you go out in the morning, I meant while driving in the snow, keeping the snow from building up on the rear window in city traffic and at red lights, that's the issue. Ice and built up over night snow, yeah, that's scraper territory.

I think I could do without the washer spray in the rear, that would be a real pain. About the window, that's the issue isnt it? Glass could break.. hm.. anyone ever have any experience cutting glass? I dont plan on doing it myself under any circumstances, but there must be companies out there that do it. Hm. I'm sure there is some JDM fanatic that's done this yeah? :D

·
Registered
98 Posts
yeah theres a couple of ppl that have done it. but they basically had the rear half of a jdm prelude. honestly, its not really worth it. and if you REALLY wanted to do it, just go out and find the parts and do it.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I am in the middle of doing this. I imported the rear glass, wiper arm and motor and switch. Not going to route the windshield wiper fluid. The hardest part of the whole thing is figuring how I am going to mount the motor. In the JDM ones, they have metal tabs or brackets that the motor just bolts into. We don't.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Vindication!!! I knew someone was crazy enough to do it! You rock man. So fess up, how much does it cost to import a whole window? I know from personal experience that shipping big things safefly from Japan is painfuly expensive. They had a special stump out back you had to bend over for that one. Is there an outfit selling them?
On a related note, putting in that glass, does the hardware for the rear defogger match up? I would expect it does but...
For the motor, there is no control for a rear wiper on our USDM cars, so did you just put in a switch and run your own wires? Or did you import the real wiring harness and control too?
Thanks for the pics and proving it can be done!

·
Registered
779 Posts
riptide101 said:
I am in the middle of doing this. I imported the rear glass, wiper arm and motor and switch. Not going to route the windshield wiper fluid. The hardest part of the whole thing is figuring how I am going to mount the motor. In the JDM ones, they have metal tabs or brackets that the motor just bolts into. We don't.

hey not try to hi-jack this thread or anthing (which this is a kick ass thread/mod to do) but see how your driverside back seat it pushed up in the back... mines got the same problem and i cant get it to push back for anything someone told me it was from a babyseat?? if you know how to get it back flush please share!!!! sry again for the jack!

·
Registered
428 Posts
I still haven't been able to figure it out either about the seat. I brought it to a shop to replace my fuel pump and they said they had to get under the seat to get to it. I got it back and a few days later, I realized it. I can't figure it out and it pisses me off. I started thinking that they took my original one and replaced it with someone elses that wasn't the same year or something.

About the glass, some people are not willing to do this but I paid 400 for it shipped from japan. The box had almost 100 FRAGILE stickers on it when it was sent and it took me a month of emails to convince the guy in Japan to sell it to me. The guy I found was someone on ebay that was a realiable seller but I can't find him anymore. He doesn't answer emails. The rear defroster hooks up to the normal leads of the USDM one. My wires were a little different because I did a JDM climate control install.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts