Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard that the glass sunroof from the 5th Gen can be swapped into the 4th gen to replace our metal one. True/False?

I noticed that I now have 3 rust spots instead of 2 on my moonroof (only cancer on my car thank God...). So it's time to either replace it with a 4th gen metal one, or 5th Gen glass one.

What does everyone suggest. If I can do the glass one I'll probably tint it with 20% tint to get it damn near opaque... I just don't want the rust problem that comes with the 4th Gen moonroof.

~Peace

·
Registered
63 Posts
Its true, its been done before. The 5th gen glass roof can mount on a 4th gen.

Installing the moonroof involves removing the bumpstops on the glass moonroof and doing a little bit of drilling on the bracket holes. Keep in mind that the sliders will be visible from the inside.

The moonroof sits flush and doesnt leak. So get out there, buy the moonroof, others have done it before. Also, the 5th gen moonroof is already tinted, but nowhere near 20%

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone on HERE done it before?

So it's a exact fit? Won't leak at all? I'm thinking that I might fabricate some type of sheet metal plate with a rubber strip on th top to hide the tracks from the inside if I can... Just so I can't see them when I look up... tint should hide any ugliness from the outside... haha.

Anyone that's done the Carbon fiber moonroof plug and want's to sell their glass one?

~Peace

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So the glass and brackets are all connected? Do the holes need to be drilled bigger or what?

~Peace

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Prlude4Life said:
pm Si_g i know he did it on his 4th gen.
Thanks! Rep!

PM Me... where you at in the Chicago burbs?

~Peace

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
HAHAHA! I knew it was you from your name! PM 4bidden and buy me my anniversary present! haha

~Peace :D

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OMG... hahahah! THIS IS A CAR FORUM PANDA!!! HAHA :lmao

~Peace

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
... lol anyway, the roof itself fits perfectly. however, the bolts that screw into the tracks do not. i beleive you have to re-drill the holes so that they sit in further, but i'm not 100% sure

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks man... she's a riot! Definately a keeper... getting me a 4Bidden shifter for our 1 year... haha

~Peace

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
PreludePanda said:
Sorry...damn imports...haha. FONT]
:hug

From the girl who wants a 2nd/3rd gen teg... haha

~Peace

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Anyone got a 5th Gen moonroof for sale?

~Peace

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
i'm also very interested in this conversion, so i guess it's time to start looking in junk yards for da moon roof :)

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'll actually do a write up if you guys want... for the FAQ page. Seems to be a hot topic lately... can't wait to see what it looks like on my Black Lude.

How much does everyone think I should pay for the actual moonroof?

~Peace

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Will any other glass work? Accord from the same year or something?

I figure they might have used the same glass in a few cars... might be easier to find it that way. Honda wants 212.00 for it after tax...

~Peace

·
Registered
296 Posts
The 5th gen brackets are elevated compared to the 4th gen ones. I tried using the 5th gen brackets at first, byt they are made to be used with the 5th gen assembly, they dont line up properly with the 4th gen assembly, so the roof was stickin out a bit when i got done with it. The glass roof also has a sliding guide on each side, those need to be taken down with a dremel, if u dont do this, when the glass will close, the guides will prevent it from going down all the way, and it ll look like shit... so after that i simply modified the 4th gen brakets fits a lot better, my glass roof sits as flush as the 4th gen roof did, not edging stickin out or anything, and no wind noise either. By modifying i mean i simply took them out, lined them up to the glass and simply made each hole on the 4th gen brackets bigger, so that the pattern of the bolts of glass actually fall into the holes i made bigger. I didnt make them too big, just right, some people may have to use washers if they make em too big, but i havent... And on the same token, the 5th gen moonroof slide does not work. I have plans on trying to get it installed, but havent had time to think of anything. When i dropped the glass roof, there was no room for the slide to be installed at all. The slide on the 5th gen assembly is a complete assembly that is installed onto the sliding glass assembly, so its like you have 2 in one...and no the 5th gen assembly cant be used as a replacement, i tried that too, the design is the same, but its just about an inch or 2 larger on every side, so all the holes and evap hoses are at the same level as on the 4g assembly, just a few inche further out...so thats out of the question. And thats how easy it is, and it doesnt take long either, just some some simple figuring out, anyone can do this. I had noone to ask when i did it...
Please dont bomb me with pms, post here if u have any questions and i ll respond...

here some pics

here i used the bolt overs from the assembly so it looks fine from the inside ( pic aint that great, but i ll get another one once i get my car back

1 - 20 of 38 Posts