Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a long journey with our H22A's and I have been thinking lately that compared to a K20 (which puts almost the same power to the wheels stock)... K20's seem more tune friendly. :( With little mods and Hondata tunning this engine gives mad horsepower to the wheels. :bash

So I've been thinking before doing my turbo setup to get as much info on this matter as I can before spending money. Everybody is welcomed to talk about the subject but what I'm really looking forward is for people that has made this swap into their car. I've seen so far a pic of a 5th Gen with this setup but I find myself in the need for more into this matter.

Thanks in advance!!! :number1

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
manalishi said:
i think thats an insane idea. i havent heard of this done before. sweetness.
I'll see if I can find the pic of the 5th Gen with the swap ... as far as I know it was made by some Puerto Ricans up north... but I'm speculating on my own thoughts. :D

·
Registered
14,553 Posts
if someone ever makes a mount kit for us i would love to do it.

k24 bottom end + k20 top end = meant for preludes

it would probably be expensive as hell but the mod friendly engine + 6-speed tranny would make it all worthwhile IMO

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
if/when hasport makes a mount kit for the lude i would be all over it. id be happy with a k24.
ive seen a few oil pumps out there that have been modded to cure the lubrication problem, other than that there pretty solid motors, and seem to respond well to mods.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Well, from what I've heard there are clearance issues with the motor. Seeing that the intake manifold is on the front of the block, I think that it would hit the hood when you closed it. If you could fabricate some ITB's that curve downward a little bit, you might be able to pull it off. If there's a motor mount kit for a 5th Gen, you could probably work with it a little bit and get it to drop in. I know that some cars also have clearance issues between the street and the motors oil pan. There is an EG hatch with a K20 in town and the oil pan is literally like... 2 inches from the ground. Definately do your research beforehand.

I've been wondering about the feasability of this also. Although I kinda want to keep my H22, I think it would be sick to drop a K20 in there. That motor makes an extra 30 WHP with a set of cams, new valvetrain, and tuning. That's absolutely INSANE.

Also keep in mind, that not only would he be getting the K20... but the 6-Speed that goes with it. No more 3500RPM at 65MPH for him... lol.

~Peace

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Freakin'H22A said:
So I've been thinking before doing my turbo setup to get as much info on this matter as I can before spending money.
^Are you really serious that? :confused

Why would you even consider a Kseries swap totalling +$6K, when you have thoughts of turbo which could be a lot less and almost doubling the hp and tq?

Yes it's unique and something new, but when you try to compare it w/ a turbo build I think it's pretty evident which choice would be the better decision here.

I top my hat to whoever decides to take upon a K-series swap though.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
crdcz03 said:
if someone ever makes a mount kit for us i would love to do it.

k24 bottom end + k20 top end = meant for preludes

it would probably be expensive as hell but the mod friendly engine + 6-speed tranny would make it all worthwhile IMO
That's what I'm talking about!!!! :number1 6 speed tranny on a 'Lude "shizzle my nuddle" :bounce
crdcz03 tell me a little something about the k24 & k20 hybrid you seem to know pretty much about this.

DrivinVtec said:
ive read nothing but oil problems /cooling with those after modding. im not down with the k shit. im old school vtec guy. not this new vtec
:kick

P.S.
I have the picture but it needs to be scanned... will get back with you at night.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Team_Carnage said:
^Are you really serious that? :confused

Why would you even consider a Kseries swap totalling +$6K, when you have thoughts of turbo which could be a lot less and almost doubling the hp and tq?

Yes it's unique and something new, but when you try to compare it w/ a turbo build I think it's pretty evident which choice would be the better decision here.

I top my hat to whoever decides to take upon a K-series swap though.
Yes I'm very serious with this... I'm doing my car turbo in a year or two... but I've seen how K20 reacts to mods and H22A are good but lots of money need to go down for engine modding due to its block design.

H22A compared to a K20 series both turbo ... K20 > H22A.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Freakin'H22A said:
It's been a long journey with our H22A's and I have been thinking lately that compared to a K20 (which puts almost the same power to the wheels stock)... K20's seem more tune friendly. :( With little mods and Hondata tunning this engine gives mad horsepower to the wheels. :bash

So I've been thinking before doing my turbo setup to get as much info on this matter as I can before spending money. Everybody is welcomed to talk about the subject but what I'm really looking forward is for people that has made this swap into their car. I've seen so far a pic of a 5th Gen with this setup but I find myself in the need for more into this matter.

Thanks in advance!!! :number1
Wierd you must be like watching me or something. :ninja My brother just picked up a K20 full swap with 6spd tranny, harness and ecu 2 days ago. Finally got a chance to use my new engine lift. I got the K stored away in my shed right now till we find a EK to drop her in. He's planning to save up some money and take her down and give her a complete build before we drop her in. Got a hell of a deal on the motor was once in a life time some we decided to put her away for the future. K20 prelude would be cool but I rather my H. Like "DrivinVtec" I too am a fan of the old school VTEC. But, you still cant escape the fact that to have a K swap is just damn cool. :lol2 :D

·
Registered
866 Posts
New technology > Old technology, the H22 is over 15 years old.

I'd do it if I could, but there would just be tons of problems I could forsee that just makes it not worthwhile IMO.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
JDMaccord2k said:
Wierd you must be like watching me or something. :ninja My brother just picked up a K20 full swap with 6spd tranny, harness and ecu 2 days ago. Finally got a chance to use my new engine lift. I got the K stored away in my shed right now till we find a EK to drop her in. He's planning to save up some money and take her down and give her a complete build before we drop her in. Got a hell of a deal on the motor was once in a life time some we decided to put her away for the future. K20 prelude would be cool but I rather my H. Like "DrivinVtec" I too am a fan of the old school VTEC. But, you still cant escape the fact that to have a K swap is just damn cool. :lol2 :D
Hahaha... weird... I'm intending to do this swap because I know that the K series is more tunefriendly than the H22A and can produce more horsepower. I love my Prelude, love how it handles and still it makes turn heads... but having an H22A is not sufficient power to weight ratio for our ludes.

1. K series = kick ass engine
  2. K series has six speed
  3. K series can produce more power!!!

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
Or you can sell your prelude and just buy an RSX-S or the new Si and get a car that already comes w/ the engine and tranny and save yourself on wasting a lot of money in putting a new engine into an old chassis.

·
Registered
24 Posts
digink said:
Or you can sell your prelude and just buy an RSX-S or the new Si and get a car that already comes w/ the engine and tranny and save yourself on wasting a lot of money in putting a new engine into an old chassis.
I guess it's just the pleasure of being able to honestly say you've done it. The old chassis looks better than the RSX and new Si IMO.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.