Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well dudes, my car was grinding 5th so i went to the local honda dealership and bout 3 quarts of Honda MTF. The salesman told me it should take 3 quarts but after i got home and read a manual it said that the tranny usually takes 1.8 quarts and should not be overfilled. I filled it as instructed in the manual. It basically said to finger the tranny until you feel that the fluid level is correct. Thats what i did but the frikkin car is still grinding like THe Clipse and Pharrell.

I did a couple searches here and didnt find anything too usefull . . . maybe i didnt search enuff . .. but ...

i just want to kno if going by wut the honda man told me is wut i should do and add more or maybe try something different. ive hear of redline and syncromesh, but i heard Honda MTF was the best. ANybody kno if i have a bigger problem ahead of me like clutch or actually getting my syncros in the tranny fixed. Im planning on gettin rid of the car, i mite just leave it for the next man, its fucked up but sometimes u just gotta do it.

any suggestions i mean ANY. woiuld be helpful.

'97 accord LX by the way.

·
Registered
42 Posts
i had a similar problem with my 5th gear recently. i would advise you to try the syncromesh, many people have reported that after a few days/weeks shifting gets significantly smoother. aside from that, the (penzoil) syncromesh is only around 5 bucks a quart at autozone, so it's easy to find.

short of that, double clutch to put yourself into 5th (blip the throttle in neutral with the clutch engaged, then depress your clutch again to move the fork into 5th). that's more of a workaround until you can better address the problem by either repair/replacement or by selling the car. i ended up replacing the entire tranny when i got my h22 swap :D (only 3 days ago!)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im about to go cop some syncromesh . . . maybe itll do me a lil better.

ever since it started grinding i do double clutch and most of the time that way it doesnt grind. my cuzin siad he had the same problem and he double clutched for a while and the grinding went away. but i dont want to double clutch all the time. and whoever buys it isnt gonna kno unless i tell them or they find out the hard way !

h22 is wuts up tho.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts