Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some local guy is selling an Apexi WS axleback from a 5th gen and was wondering if it'll fit onto my 4th gen. I thought I remember reading that the 5th gen exhaust were a little longer then 4th gens, but just wanted to double check

·
Registered
136 Posts
Taikonaut said:
Some local guy is selling an Apexi WS axleback from a 5th gen and was wondering if it'll fit onto my 4th gen. I thought I remember reading that the 5th gen exhaust were a little longer then 4th gens, but just wanted to double check
Yes, 5th gen exhausts are longer than 4th gens. And thats why the 5th gen header is shorter than the 4th gen header.

I just installed an RSR 4th gen header into my 5th gen. :)

·
Registered
286 Posts
After a major snafu, I managed to get my skunk2 catback which was SUPPOSED to fit a 4gen, but was actually a 5gen exhaust, to fit. It's a long and expensive tale, which I would rather not tell at this time, but the bottom line is the 5gen exhausts are about 6 inches lonnger and you need to fabricate hangers for the muffler section. It took me a great deal of time and many cuts and welds to get the job done, and in the end wasnt worth a damn. Buy the correct parts to begin with and get them from a compotent source.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
question: when people say "axleback exhaust", is that the same as just the muffler??
or is there more to it?

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
yeah instead of hacking off the muffler and clamping on one of those sweet carbon fiber piece of crap mufflers from ebay you just undo the rear most exhaust bracket and attach your axle back exhaust right there-hence the name axle back. They tend to sound better and possibly perform better because they replace more of the exhaust system than just the muffler alone.

But did you put your rims on yet? in that squished up pic it looks like you've got some aftermarkets on there but I can't tell for sure....send me some real pics!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Yes, a 5th gen axle-back will bolt up to a 4th gen. This past weekend I gave my friend my old axle-back exhaust and he bolted it right up. It sticks out a couple inches further from the bumper than it did on my 5th gen, and I think one of the exhaust hanger locations is different, but other than that it should work. At least it did in our case.

Actually, on second thought, if the axle back portion was supposed to bolt to an aftermarket cat-back pipe section, I don't know if that will bolt exactly to the stock cat-back piping or not.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts