Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys. i currently have 195/50/r15 on my civic sedan. the suspension ridehieght is stock.

my cousins friend is sellin 17" white rims. they look similar to these http://www.jaydm.com/c8.htm

what i want to know is, is 17" ok for my car. if i get 17". will ihave to do any suspension mods. cause i have to do any modifications so run these rims smoothly without any problems. i wont get them. he is selling it very very cheap. including tires. the tires are brand new.

it came of a nissan 180sx. he bought the car. but doesnt like the rims.

so i asked my cousin for the size of the rims. but fitting 17"s in a civic sedan. will i encounter any problems if i put them on a stock height and stock suspension.

thanks. help will be appreciated alot.

thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
also. this is another topic i wanna ask u guys. when i bought this car 2 years ago. it came with a 2.5" exhaust pipe. my car is auto and i hate the sound of the exhaust. and im only getting around 350 km pertank. normal driving.

would the 2.5" give crapper fuel ecconomy and awfully loud exhaust sound.

i changed the muffler to a baffled muffler. it lowered it abit. but still its very loud. i am kinda sick and tired of the sound. when i look underneath. the 2.5 pipe is only up to the cat converter.

if i change the pipe back to a smaller pipe. will it remove completly the sound. cause i want it completly stock. or very very close to stock. i dont mind abit of a sporty sound. but only if i trash it full on. but for normal driving. i dont want to even hear the sound. and if i do change the pipe. would it be cheaper to go to the wrecker and get a used civic pipe or go to a exhaust shop and buy a new pipe. my muffler is still good. i just need a new pipe.

and what diameter should i get. and what type of pipe. i dont wanna spend alot of money. i am on a low budget. i dont wanan spend much for my car anymore. only for rims really. remember. very very quiet. very close to stock sound.

thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey, my cousin said, the guys who is selling it. has a 180sx. but it didnt come with the car. the previous guy included it on the sale. the current owner of the car, said he doesnt want the rims. the rims are 4 stud.

so, if i do get it. can i just put it on my car. it wont rub on my fenders or anythign like that. i wont have to do any suspension mods.

also. on my civic. i have 15" rims with 195/50/r15 tires. and theres a huge gap between the tire and the fender. if i get the rims. will the gap be smaller

·
Registered
908 Posts
I agree with the above, your ride quality will go down.

The gap won't get much smaller by putting bigger rims on. If you want the gap reduced you'll have to lower the car. If you lower the car, your chances of the tires rubbing increase... a lot. Especially with 17" rims, which are overkill -- that's 4" larger than stock.

For a Civic, the general rule is:

15 inch for go
16 inch for show

·
Registered
912 Posts
first of all w/ the rims. make sure the bolt pattern for the rims matches your car. 180sx i think may have a 5 bolt lug pattern, where as yours is 4x100 pattern. if the bolt pattern matches then go for it. you dont have to do any suspension mods to run the wheels, but honestly your car will look retarded. i had 17's on and drove on stock suspension for a little while and it looked like a monster truck. i shuddered every time i looked at it. you can throw on a set of springs like h&r sports and lower it a little, and it wont affect the ride too much. it will make it look a whole lot better.

and for the exhaust problem, if it doesnt have a resonator in the exhaust, have an exhaust shop put one in and change out your muffler for a mugen twinloop knockoff. that will be your cheapest option. that muffler is relatively quiet and i think you would enjoy it.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Even if the wheels are 4 lugs the pattern may not be the same. Generally its 100 or 114mm.

You say its 2.5" to the cat eh? well, just buy a better muffler. go on ebay, and grab a "twin loop". Those are quiet. Or buy a stock muffler?

·
Registered
912 Posts
commador said:
Even if the wheels are 4 lugs the pattern may not be the same. Generally its 100 or 114mm.

You say its 2.5" to the cat eh? well, just buy a better muffler. go on ebay, and grab a "twin loop". Those are quiet. Or buy a stock muffler?
which is why i said if the pattern matches, then go for it. but thanks for clearin any confusion up bro :hug

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hi, regarding my fuel prblem. if i havent changed my psark plugs and fuelfilter since i bought the car 2 years ago. is that a big part of thew fuel prob.

also, i am not getting the rims anymore. i think 17's are abit to big for me.

also, regarding my exhaust problem. there is a resonator. its less then 9 inches long. can i put another resonator. or can i just replace my current one to a better long one.

does resonators really help lower the sound alot.

thanks

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
the whole point of a resonator is to lower the sound level of your exhaust. you do have a couple of other options though. one would be to get one of the twin loop exhausts that commador mentioned, those are extremely quiet at low RPM, but can sound just like a "normal" sports exhaust when you hit the go pedal. the other would be to get one that has a silencer plate. if you look on eBay, just read the descriptions for one that has an optional "tunable silencer" included. what this does is restrict the exhaust gas flow, thereby reducing sound (the sound your exhaust system makes is simply the sound of the exhaust gasses escaping the system), and if they're tuned all the way down, the sound is just barely above stock.

your plugs and filter (also plug wires, distributor cap and rotor, and also running injector cleaner!) having not been changed for a while will definitely affect your car's performance and fuel mileage. i change all of those (except the fuel filter) once a year, and i run injector cleaner once a month. also keep an eye on your tire pressure, as that has a huge effect on performance and gas mileage.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks, i should do that injector cleaner. but i do have to change all those stuff u said. but i think i have to change the fuel filter. cause i havent changed that for 2 years. since i bought the car.

about the spark plugs. do i have to go for those ithium ones. i think thats what there called. or can i just get those normal ones.

and also. i dont wanna change my muffler. cause my muffler is quiet new. its a baffled one. it did help lower the sound, but not much. im either thinking, change the pipe to a stock one, or reduce it to 2".

or, can i add another resonator. cause between the resonator and the muffler, theres still plenty of room. or replace my resonator for a better one. '

if i do add another one,

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
changing the pipe won't do anything for the sound really, unless you add some more resonators. the biggest change you'll get from changing the piping, is an alteration in the gas flow. 2.25" piping is pretty much the standard for NA hondas (well NA 4 cylinders really, i run 2.25" piping on my subie, and it's got a 2.2L engine), 2.5" is a bit too big. you might find that if you switch to 2.25" piping, your low end acceleration will improve very slightly, but otherwise i doubt it'll actually do much for you.

the spark plugs, just use regular old NGK V powers (or Denso U grooves if you can't find the NGKs). the iridium and platinums may last longer, but unless you're upping the power considerably (much more than anything that basic bolt-ons will give you), they're not worth the extra cost. same with the wires, just stick with the OEM ones.

back to your exhaust questions though, i still seriously recommend that you change out your muffler along with the piping. in the end, it'll be more woth it IMO.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hi, yeah i will just buy the normal spark plugs.

my muffler. its just a normal muffler. i went to a muffler shop to change my previous muffler which was straight through to a baffled muffler.

its a normal muffler. not a sports muffler. i changed it cause the exhaust sound was too much. it did lower it abit but not alot. i want alot.
so, what do u suggest.

should i go to a muflfershop and tell them to change the piping. to what size.

remember. i want to try and remove all the sound. i want the sound to be like the standard civic. i woudl rather hear the engine then a awful exhaust sound that have,

and if i do get a new pipe. what do i ask. what size and what type. i dotn wanna spend too much. but i also dont want to buy a exhaust pipe that will only last me a year.

also. can i add another resonator. or is it better to just change the whole pipe instead. cause how much more would another resonator quieten

please help.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
well just because you changed to a baffled muffler doesn't really mean much. what kind of muffler is it (brand? company? model?), or is it just a generic muffler that the muffler shop installed for you. the reality is that you may not be able to completely remove all sound from your exhaust system. but you can definitely quiet it down a bit. you might go back to the muffler shop and ask them to inspect your piping for leaks, because even a small one can cause the sound that you're hearing. in that case, the problem isn't your muffler at all.

also, keep in mind that a muffler that is baffled can still technically be called a straight through, depending on how it is designed. it sounds like what you want is a muffler where the piping enters on one side, goes through a "s curve" inside the muffler itself, and the finally exists on the opposite end. this kind of muffler will totally kill your performance, but it is essentially what comes on your car from the factory.

as for the piping, as i already said, go with 2.25" piping, as it will provide the most efficient flow rate for your exhaust system. shops in your area might charge different rates, but when i had piping installed on my subie, it cost me $143. this was for 2.25" aluminized piping from the catalytic converter to the muffler, including three hangers, and the labor for installation. if you're really worried about rust (if you live in an area with regular snowfall, and where the roads are heavily salted, this is important), then you might want to go with stainless steel piping, which unfortunately is a lot more expensive. stainless piping doesn't necessarily flow any better than aluminzed though, so from a purely performance perspective, it may be more economical to go with the aluminized. keep in mind also that the way the exhaust piping is routed on a civic may require far more labor than my subie did. your pipe makes a lot of bends, and even loops over the rear axle. mine is essentially straight all the way through, with maybe 5 bends which are of minimal angle.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hey guys, i went to the exhaust place. they said, that my muffler is still a straight through muffler. i though its was a baffled one. well i was wrong. stupid me.

but i changed it to a baffled muffler. he gave me a very cheap price, cause his wife used to know my mum and teached my sister when she was young.

so now, i got the baffled muffler. i love it. it is soo low, but until u trash the car, its sounds nice. thats what i want. i am very very happy with it.

but now i got a question. regarding the spark plugs. my friend used to have a honda civic vt sohc. and he now has a prelude. so he has a set of four NGK BKR6E-11 spark plugs. he gave it to me. is it ok for me car.

cause my engine is a D16Y1 engine. my car is a 1994 civic sedan vti (EX). i saw on the engien bay. it says my chassis is a EH9.

when i looked at a NGK book at the stores. it says that the D16Y1 engien is for the honda civics from 95-2000. but mine is a 94. i think late 94.

i am sure my engine is a d16y1. so is this spark plugs ok for mine.

thanks

1 - 20 of 22 Posts