Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a civic before ('97 EX) with an aftermarket stereo receiver mounted in the center console pocket in front of the shifter. It looked like some sort of kit was used, as it was not just thrown in there. I know with some cars before '98 that had the keyless entry/alarm require that you relocate the stock radio in order to still use those features, I'm thinking this kit is allows you not to "relocate the radio behind the dash" as I've seen some websites suggest. I'm actually looking for the kit for my 2000 EX that doesn't have the keyless entry system built into the factory receiver, but I just think it looks a lot better to mount the receiver there instead of using other kits available that require you to have a useless pocket in the dash. I'm also thinking it would be a little less obvious to thieves. I've searched all around the net for the kit, but cannot find it. Has anyone heard of it and could possibly point me in the right direction of where I could find one?

· Registered
274 Posts
For clarification only, the keyless entry unit was built into the radio of 96-98 civics only. In 99-00 civic models, the keyless entry unit is in the driver's kick panel.

I know what you are talking about. On 99-00 Civics, it's an open pocket. On 96-98 models it is an open pocket or a single cd or cassette unit. You can get the panel from a Honda parts dept.

Look here:
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com...tcgry3=2DR+EX&catcgry4=KA5MT&catcgry5=CONSOLE

· Registered
296 Posts
Almost any HU can be mounted anywhere. It just requires an extension or a ribbon of wires to the HU. A buddy of mine did this with the latest generation Civics and it worked out okay but there is nearly no clearance behind the deck (for wires), so some fabrication is necessary.

Here's a couple of pics:

· Registered
2,059 Posts
Vestax said:
Almost any HU can be mounted anywhere. It just requires an extension or a ribbon of wires to the HU. A buddy of mine did this with the latest generation Civics and it worked out okay but there is nearly no clearance behind the deck (for wires), so some fabrication is necessary.

Here's a couple of pics:

isnt he lookin at that backwards now?

· Registered
296 Posts
Yeah he is looking at it updside down, and there's a reason for that. It's definitely an option and you don't have to do that. He mounted it upside down because that particular HU's face is angled. He tried mounted it facing him but in order for him to read the display, he had to lean over to look at it. With it upside down, the readout was a lot easier to see from above, on the driver's side.

· Registered
8,520 Posts
What car/year is that ? That kicks ass !! What does he have where the HU should be ?

· Registered
8,520 Posts
Nevermind ... i re-read it. Where are some cool places it could be on a 5th gen civic cx hatch ? Theres not as much room around my ebrake i dont think, cause the handle is centered... so where ?!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.