Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 2000 Prelude and was wondering if anyone had any experience with high flow cats?

I have an AEM CAI and a Mugen Sport exhuast on it right now, just need the header and possibly a hi flow cat to finish it off.

I was looking at the Random Technologies Super High Flow Cat, but heard there are issues with the check engine light coming on with this part.

Has anyone tried the Random Tech. on a 5th gen? Is it even worth bothering with? This is my daily driver, and just want to throw a few basic bolt on's at the car and keep it clean is all.

I bought the Lude for its handling, reliability and economy and it hasn't dissapointed. Thanks in advance for any pointers.

V.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
i had the RT. threw a CEL after only 10k miles.

get carsound or nothing. u won't see hardly any difference with it. maybe a slight difference in tone, but doubt u can tell.

a test pipe though, yea you'll definitely see a difference. and u won't pass any emissions checks or inspections. depending if ur state checks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.

I didn't think it would be worth it either, unless they made any real gains. May as well stick with stock for what it's worth I guess. I'll just throw the header on and be done with it I think.

Nice lude....Black, like mine too :number1 What kind of underbody kit?

·
Registered
866 Posts
I've had a Random Tech hi-flow for quite a while, I can't even remember how long. I've had zero problems with it. A :tu in my book. I put it on at the same time as the exhaust so I don't really know how much it helped.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
i have a carsound on the lude and the accord if that tells u anything.

·
Registered
665 Posts
ove herd good thigs about supertech but ive also herd good things about car sound. i dont think youll get anything out of a high flow car. if ur just looking to spend money to finish it off, maby try getting a brand new OEM cat from honda or something. since u have a $1000 mugen exhaust, u should get either a mugen exhaust manifold or try HyTech and get a header from them. hytech says average of 18whp gain from their header ($1050+shipping). you should get that header, an AEM v2 intake ($250), strut bar, maby a drop, and your car will be super slick. good luck man.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the help fellas. Seems like the cat isnt that big a deal after all.

18Hp from the Hytech eh?

The Mugen is around the same price, but I'd say it only makes 7-10Hp tops. Too much for what it is imho, but a decent header none the less. I'm wondering how noisy the Hytech would be tho.. SMSP is about the only other header that makes good gains, but I dont feel like waiting 4 months for one :D Anyone got a link to the Hytech header?

Yes, I questioned my sanity many times spending out on the Mugen exhaust too, but each time I drive it I slowly forget... :number1 Definately feels much stronger throughout the entire RPM range, and sounds awesome! It didn't dissapoint :w00t

The AEM V2 is definately a consideration too....I'm due for a service soon - I'm at 47,000 Kms and am thinking of replacing the plugs (I Know they arent due) with something a little better, and some new wires perhaps. Magnecor? Do AEM underdrive pulleys make much difference?

I'm looking forward to tuning up this lil car...especially the suspension :w00t
Thx for the help guys.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
i donot think the hytech header will bolt up to the oem converter. i was looking at getting one 2 yrs ageo and thats one of the things that held me back. but they might have changed it now. theres also kteller header

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.