Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wassup guys. thought i'd share something pretty cool i just discovered. for 5th gen (1997-2001) preludes ive found a really cool way to do factory remote trunk release. Since the prelude and the accord are alot alike i got to lookin at my buddy's accord and his trunk release was the same as mine cept he had a motor on his. well went to the dealership and picked one up and voila fit like a glove. I'll take some pics tomm after i get the wiring down pack but basically if you wanna try the same thing what you want to do is get the trunk release off a 1998-2002 honda accord Ex or exv6 model as they are the only one that comes standard with it. Ill post pics and a wiring diagram when i finish tomm.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry for the lateness i've just been so busy finally found time to upload the pics here they go sorry if they're a lil blurry but you should be able to see what it looks like.

and type SH racer i know dei makes a trunk release solenoid i actually have a few sitting in my basement. i didn't want to use it cause it would have looked a little awkward. I wanted something to look a little cleaner. ill post the wire colors when i get a chance but basically the trunk release came with 5 wires.
The blue and the green right next to each other are the trunk trigger wires so you basically take the 2 pin plug (black and orange wires) off your old trunk latch and splice em into those wires. doesn't matter which one they just basically jump over to each other when the trunks open. the other three wires are the trunk release(Brown, Black, Blue) if you just tie ground to either the black or the blue their common. Then just run a 12 volt wire from you extra channel to the blue to trigger the trunk release. The only minor hiccup is the stock release cable it needs inserted from the top instead of the side. any questions hit me up ill be more then happy to answer.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
SO what exactly does this mod do? Are you able to open your trunk using a remote on your keychain or what?

·
Registered
333 Posts
WillyG said:
SO what exactly does this mod do? Are you able to open your trunk using a remote on your keychain or what?
Yep. Hit the nail on the head. I'm getting mine done next month after seeing this thread (when I got some bucks). Never thought of it until then. Big adantage when I got too much shit in my arms to bugger around with the key (it kills the alarm at the same time). I've also started to find my locks are wearing a bit. The key I use needs some wiggling in the locks (the spare, new key is even worse). Rather spend a few bucks now than have to replace all my locks in the (probably) near future... ;)

·
Registered
333 Posts
VTIR said:
I just read the post and I cant understand it mate, can you do a step by step with pictures for each step. I know I'm slow but would really like to do this. Thanks
I can't speak for the poster of this thread, but basically it involves installing a solenoid (the same as in your central locking) to the boot catch mechanism.
The system I am looking to install has a remote for the alarm, locks etc, with an extra button on the remote. This, when pressed, will deactivate the alarm and pop the boot at the same time.
It is a relatively simple install to do mechanically, but the difficulty arises when you already have an alarm system that will trigger on the boot opening. This needs to be disabled first. I looked at all the options DIY wise and figured the best way is to chuck out my existing system and have the whole lot installed from scratch. A bit pricey, I must say, but for me it'll be worth it.
Check this site (SA I know) http://www.autowatch.co.za/ I'm sure there must be a similar system available in Aus.
Look at the 288RLi model.
If you have no alarm system, a simple central locking kit will suffice. All you have to do is install the solenoid provided with the kit on the boot catch mechanism as per the thread (and the control unit) and use the provided remote to pop the boot.
You're not slow by any means. You'll need a bit of autoelectrical savvy and it's not a job most blokes would like to tackle. That's why I'm gonna pay through my arse and have a pro do it!
Good luck, mate.
PS. VTiR's own Sh's if not in performance but for the gadgets! He he! :D

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay heres the deal. I own a 5th gen prelude (2000 to be exact). Owned a del sol before this one and im really heavy into alarms. In my del sol i put a dei 522t power trunk release modulde in my car. Well In my del sol the trunk latch was in the bottom of the trunk opening unlike when i got my prelude the latch is on top of the trunk. Call me petty but i didn't like the way the 522t was going to look sitting on the trunk lid unlike in my del sol where it was hidden. Well after working on my buddy's accord i noticed he had power trunk without a button in the car, but on the factory transmitter (99 Accord Ex). So after looking at his trunk motor and noticing it matched up to my preludes thats when i got the idea to use the accord trunk motor on my prelude. So went to the dealership and purchased one and installed i was just sharing what i discovered what i thought would be a cool mod. and on top of that it looks factory. I wasn't saying go and got an oem alarm I was saying if your like me i put my alarm in an didn't want the look of the 522t i was merly suggesting an alternative. :

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had this done ages ago

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/instal/aii/pages/accord/1999/20032_01.html

use this site, its the trunk popper instructions
it applies to the prelude as well.

why we never got this option amazes me, preludes are supposed to be the "luxury" honda

on the actuator,
#5 - attaches to the blue wire of the trunk actuator
#2 - attaches to the trigger wire of the alarm
#3 & #1 - attach to the Constant Power

·
On Blakes Nuts
5,057 Posts
bleacht said:
yeah, this is far from new. i did this about 2 years ago when i first bought the Lude.
Good for you pussy, you want a cookie. I didn't see you posting a write up on the shit. Might not be a new idea but it's a nice mod and I'd be interested in seeing how it's done. Stop giving people negative rep dickhead. I've posted countless informative post about everything I did on my all motor build to help people not see negative reps from bitches like you. What goes around comes around! You negative rep me your gettin it right back!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.