Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what's the deal with this, why has no company come out with a radiator shroud for a 5th gen yet? I've been waiting for a long time now, it seems like there have been a few companies that have mentioned developing something but nothing ever happened.

I've heard some people mention that the shroud wouldn't do anything on a 5th gen but i don't buy that. Ask anyone with a carbon fiber hood and they will tell you there is a lot of under the hood turbulence. There is a huge gap in between the front bumper and the front of the radiator that could be covered up. Just look at this pic of the Acura RL engine comparment. The front slope of the car is very similar to the Prelude and it was designed with a shroud made of plastic.

Someone just please step up and make something similar to this!! Plastic, carbon fiber, aluminum, titanium... i don't care.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I dont think so... as always its lack of interests...
we tried this on po more then 30 members signed up, but isnt even close :cry

·
Registered
864 Posts
If I could find a decent place to get some Surface Mount Resistors, I would work on a shroud. I need the SMRs to finish my interior (swapping out the old bulbs with white LEDs). The 5mm LEDs from RadioShack work quite well, however I'm thinkin about ordering some 3mm LEds from a site if I could find some SMRs (5% tol. 220ohm). I hooked up a 5mm w/ a resistor, plugged the power into the power source in the harness and grounded it: damn it looks fkin awesome. However, if I hardwire, I lose the option of the dimmer. Not that it matters a lot, but the lights are pretty bright. Also hardwiring would not work with the power light indicators (light above cruise, a/c control, etc.)

I've had plans of doing a shroud in aluminum due to hood shake and underhood turbulence from my c/f hood. I may put off the interior lighting project and do that next month, and start work on the shroud (due to the fact that the site that has the 3mm LEDs (cheap) won't be shipping out until the 17th in order that orders were received over the holidays). Could be Feb. before I received the bulbs anyways. Sometime next week I'll start some measurements/etc. and see what I can work out.

P.S. If anyone knows a good place to get just a few SMRs, let me know! :clap

·
Registered
864 Posts
Well I guess I'll go ahead and order a bunch of SMRs. I'll get a string of a few diff. resistances. Minimum order from the only site I could find with them is $15, and a string of 100 SMRs is only $1.49 :eek I'll have an extra 1500 SMRs sitting around, rofl. But I guess they could come in handy for future projects. I was bored as hell tonight with nothin to do when I got home from work, so I just messed around with the LED and resistors I have now, to see how it would come out (and to see if I could get the dimmer to work with it). Took a few pics, and all I can say is that the pics don't do it justice. Looks more purplish in the pics cuz my digicam sucks for night pics, but in reality it's a nice bright white. :D

The closest to the real color as I could get :clap

The fkers are bright too

I love the look of it, only though it's one light. But yes I did get the dimmer to work with it, so now I'll have to buy some small rubber grommets and some surface mount resistors to get this project completed. Maybe tomorrow morning I'll go out and see what I can do about the shroud. Lookin at the engine bay there's not many places to mount it to. And because of how the front is designed (downslope), making one out of aluminum will be tough so that the hood doesn't come down on it when you close it :eek

·
Registered
333 Posts
Those LED's look great.
I've been wanting to do something like that to my 5th Gen for a while now (in blue).
Any pointers? Even went so far as to order Indiglo's...... Not sure if I'll collect them yet. I think I can maybe do a better job myself without them...
Any advice would be appreciated....
Apologies for hijacking the thread.......

·
Registered
864 Posts
Well I did finish the first prototype of the radiator shroud. A LOT of the hoodshake has been reduced. Coming home from a car meet last night in 30-40mph winds, the hood didnt shake all that much (unlike how is used to, I thought it was going to blow off). I'm going to make one with a different design next week and see if it works better.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
snackpacks said:
Well I did finish the first prototype of the radiator shroud. A LOT of the hoodshake has been reduced. Coming home from a car meet last night in 30-40mph winds, the hood didnt shake all that much (unlike how is used to, I thought it was going to blow off). I'm going to make one with a different design next week and see if it works better.
Nice. Please post pics of your prototypes. If your shroud really does significantly reduce hood shake then i'll be your first customer.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Well it's made out of aluminum and being a first attempt, looks pretty crappy, haha :eek: I'll see if I can get a pic tomorrow, just got off work. It's too dark now, and it's 39 degrees in Florida (wtf). If you CAN wait I'll get some in the morning when there's more light ;)

Edit: The first prototype does not fill in the small spaces directly next to/behind the headlights (triangular shape when looking down). It's pretty much just a straight piece. The next prototype will fill in those gaps and hopefully reduce the shaking a bit more. I have a feeling that that is where most of the remaining shaking is coming from, because the air hitting the shroud is escaping out towards the sides. It will also be a straight drop-in peice, whereas the one I have now you have to direct underneath the hood latch then bolt it down.

·
Registered
864 Posts
mike1627 said:
Nice. Please post pics of your prototypes. If your shroud really does significantly reduce hood shake then i'll be your first customer.
It would actually be a little while before I sold them, if I ever did. I know it's in "high demand" right now, sorta, but I don't want to sell crap, you know? Even in the prototypes do work quite well, I want to make the "final" product out of a stronger, more durable material, possibly even just a thicker aluminum or metal. A C/F one would be awesome, but I don't have the knowledge/experience to make things with those types of material, plus I don't have some weave sitting around ;) I'll keep you posted though.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Here's a tip:

I made one for my car like this. Get a nice big piece of construction paper or card stock from a hobby place to start your template.

Use the existing holes in the radiator support piece as means to bolt it down.

You can make a mock up from aluminum flashing (bought at Lowes in big roll for $5). It's very easy to bend and cut with basic tin snips. It will hold a shape which is required as the hood slopes down too steep.

My only hang up was how to attach or secure to the black plastic grill between the headlights under the hood. I wasn't really interested in drilling holes in that, but that might be the only way.

·
Registered
864 Posts
My original idea was like yours, mount it on the bottom and top. But then I realized that would be a bish to make (I still have the template). Then I decided to go a simpler route, which actually turned out to be fairly easy and still functional. Here's what I came up with, also for those who were crying for pics ;)

Not a bad reflection for aluminum :p Spent about 10mins wetsanding/polishing that bish last night, cuz I was bored. Plus I wanted to see how it would look polished. ;)

·
Registered
864 Posts
Yea, but all the tools I had were tin snips and my bare hands ;) Plus that was the first test, as I try different designs they will look more pleasing. The 5th gen ones are a little harder to make due to the bends and curves. A 4th gen is rather easy as it's just straight.

BTW, were'nt you coming out with a 5th gen shroud? I remember you said it would be on your site tomorrow.... a few weeks ago :p

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
4bidden said:
No, the 4gen shroud is just getting finished....no plans right now for a 5gen shroud but its not totally out of the question.
So a year has passed since this question last came up now. Is anyone ever going to come out with a 5th gen shroud?!?

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Just make one!! It's easy shit to do. Even though there are some available for fourth gens I still wouldn't buy one since I can make it very easily and much more cheaply. I can't believe that after all this time you still havn't just done it yourself. In fact, you don't even have to...just make a nice template out of cardboard and bring it to the local machine shop and have them cut it out of a piece of nice thick aluminum or stainless steel or even carbon fiber if they have it. That way all the edges would be nice, even, and smooth. It would be soooo easy to do there's no reason not to.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts