Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
lude_dude_si said:
ne body got ne info on these? i have a friend with a b18'd rex that has this fat ass intake on his. not the same as in the pic, his is like JCracing? something like that. lemme know something on this....

http://silverimageracing.com/pd_9497_acura_integra_rsls.cfm
It's a J's Racing intake (the picture is merely a very good copy of the J's one):

The ACTUAL J's Racing intake or similar copies are very good and provide great top-end and midrange gains, because they are gradually tapered in and out (the "slug" shape). The intake you showed in your post is nothing like this. It's just a big fat chamber that abruptly goes into a remarkably small pipe (the thing looks like it's about 2" in diameter!)... creating lots of turbulence. In fact that may very well be the worst intake design I've ever seen. It looks like they took a cheap axleback muffler and hacked it into an intake. What works well flowing one way does not work well flowing the opposite way with different-sized pipes.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I doubt that thing would give you any gains it would kill the flow velocity going into the TB. That other intake your friend has is a good one though. I cant remember what the name of it is.

·
Premium Member
18,247 Posts
the one you pictured looks like the top fuel intake....a mere copy, but shitty none the less =P

here's the j's intake off of my car..:tu

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
They are. I've seen a couple dyno plots... one of them I remember in particular it was compared back to back with an AEM CAI, and it just destroyed the CAI all the way from about 4500 to 8500. We're talking like 5-7whp over the CAI at some points.

·
Registered
342 Posts
White98LS said:
They are. I've seen a couple dyno plots... one of them I remember in particular it was compared back to back with an AEM CAI, and it just destroyed the CAI all the way from about 4500 to 8500. We're talking like 5-7whp over the CAI at some points.
Thats really weird that you say taht, I believe its teh exact reverse. That its good for the low to mid range power. team-integra . net's article, state that :

Those tapered Carbon Fiber intakes? Great for low to mid rpms. Looks great as well.

But at high rpms? Your worst nightmare for high rpm'ers since the taper increases flow speed into the TB entry at the bend of the intake. Net result at higher flow speeds at higher rpms?: turbulence at the TB entry. Basic flow dynamics at bends...read up on it and learn. A neat trick is to open up the diameter just before the bend and slow flow down so it doesn't shear and induce turbulence as the rpms rise and entry flow speed into the bend rises at the same time. Or you can open up the diameter just before it reaches the TB after the bend to slow down the flow at high rpm and hopefully reduce the turbulence that way.

Maybe that just applies to the carbon fiber ones on ebay...

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
I understand that theory... hey it's just what I saw on the dyno plots. Remember the CAI isn't exactly the best intake for top-end in the first place because of it's looooong pipe and multiple bends - SRIs are typically better in this area. While their flow theory makes sense in how it wouldn't be that great for top end, it still is a short pipe with a big overall diameter, both of which are great for top end. To me I think it has the best of all worlds... short pipe for easy/fast flow, big diameter for higher-volume flow, but the taper up to the big diameter and back down smoothly slows down the flow velocity... so my theory is you get most of the high-end high-flow benefits of an SRI, but the taper slows the flow down enough (and gently with little turbulence) so that you get some low and midrange back.

·
Banned
1,160 Posts
lol

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
Yeah...Alex ever get your car running right? And yeah I like the J's racing intake, I'll probably end up getting one some time. But Alex...don't you remember how "Gay" all motor is? :hehe

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
im kinda stuck on weather i want this intake or ITB's. maybe get some ITB's and make like kinda a header that is the same diameter as the ITB diameters and have it flow around and connect to fit thatfat ass intake on. i wonder if it would be worth it or if one would defeat the other. where abouts can i find these? itb's for the b18b1 and the j's racing intake. oh and a little off topic but saving forum space....

ok i seen some oil pans for lowered/bagged trucks that didnt hang down as far but kinda stretched out a little to hold the same oil but more ground clearence. do they make something like this for the tegs? i was running a little inspection and making a fix list for my car and where the prev owner had it so low at one point the oil pan is beat all to hell. right now my axles are bad and im a littl on the broke side so im keeping it low since someone on here stated that it relieved some stress from them.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
lude_dude_si said:
im kinda stuck on weather i want this intake or ITB's. maybe get some ITB's and make like kinda a header that is the same diameter as the ITB diameters and have it flow around and connect to fit thatfat ass intake on. i wonder if it would be worth it or if one would defeat the other. where abouts can i find these? itb's for the b18b1 and the j's racing intake.
That's a horrible idea.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
just checking lol. so which would be a better idea to go with? cost isnt a deal since tax come back soon. im just looking for some easy bolts ons for now since the motor prob dont have much life left(263,XXX miles) and i wanna be able to just swap everything to my next b18b1 without ripping it apart

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
you want cool air going into the engine not hot exhaust. i think you would be better off with a normal intake over itb's those need some tuning. and other mods to work.

btw its not NA it's NGay

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
lol NA isnt gay its a little more reliable for a daily driver plus turbo is kinda sissy. besides i like my roads like my women, curvy as hell, a turbo is pretty pointless in an autocross since u rarley hit ur full boost. na is like full time power. u can turn it for low to mid and mid to high for the beside of both worlds with no lag. besides i dont really like the idea of taking ur compression below stock to add more power. ive never really been to fond of going turbo, i dont really know alot about the different turbo(t3/t4, t3/t04, t3/t04e) because i never really cared to much about them. the only kinda forced induction id do would be a scoop running directly to the intake like my old prelude had. but this cars a little nicer so i dont see me cutting it up ne time soon

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
besides the trumpets are on the cool side of the engine, not 2 much warm air should get into them, i have really thought much into ITB's because i just got a car with aftermarket support but id kinda like to look into it

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
lude_dude_si said:
besides the trumpets are on the cool side of the engine, not 2 much warm air should get into them, i have really thought much into ITB's because i just got a car with aftermarket support but id kinda like to look into it
ITBs are for heavily modified cars. they require a good amount of tunning to run right. ITBs give me a boner mostly bc i love NA cars and they will give u 20-30 to the ground depending on ur set up, but they lower reliability of the engine since u have massive air flowing through it and it takes a beating. dont get me wrong, im all for ITBs but they take $$$ and need good tuning. u will undoubtedly need a strong motor to make good gains w/them...not a motor w/200,000 plus miles on it. if u rebuilt ur motor then itd be a better investment as far as HP gains. for now i think an intake will do u fine.

\/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ SEE, I LOVE ITBS!!!!

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
acuradriva said:
you want cool air going into the engine not hot exhaust. i think you would be better off with a normal intake over itb's those need some tuning. and other mods to work.

btw its not NA it's NGay
now now now now.....you stop that. Boost is cool but I find it rather pointless on a FF car though it can be really fast. As for ITB's you will not see any benefit with ITB's really unless you have raised compression ratios and big cams. You might see some benefit but it would be extremely slim for what ITB's cost. And I personally wouldn't treat ITB's as just a "bolt on"

1 - 20 of 30 Posts