Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently hit 60k and i went to the dealership and got a run down of things that they do during the service. I looked through the list, and to tell the truth they do not really do much.
On the list they state that they change spark plugs, but I was also told that they do not need to be changed until 105k. Does anyone know when they are really supposed to be changed.
Besides that they do not do anything but inspect everything else and change the oil. I had the transmission redone about 7k miles ago so they said I do not really need to do that service.

Is there anything else that I should be doing at 60k that anyone can think of?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
maybe a valve adjustment?might be too early but preventive maintenance is better than maintenace,and just check your plugs and wires,cap and rotor,and maybe an allignment

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
my friend took her car there recently for that, and all they did was do the distribitor, sparks and soem other stuff u mentioned. after she got it back her car wouldnt start. bascially honda tried to rip her off by putting her idle SOOOO low that there was no idle...if u start the car it wouldnt stay on. there was at lease 2 inches of deflection on the cable..i adjusted it and complained to honda. they said "since ur a mechanic why didnt you do it" and im like excuse me, then the guy goes ur excused and hanged up. dumbass..we complained but we got the run around so im going to go there and rip off some head.

ne way just do ur matinence that is basic like oil and rutine checks...sparks and wires can last a really long time...my uncle has a lude umm the older generations like 88 and he never replaced the wires only the plugs and only changed oil and flushed the tranny since he got it. he said that no problems occured. only the main fixes like water pump, thats it. he tried to prove a point to me "the more u fix and tune up ur car the more u need to fix it." bascially if it aint broke dont fix it. haah he is a retired mechanic in the military.

sorrie for the essay but im bored.

·
Premium Member
13,998 Posts
Radiator flush , brake flush , e-brake adjustment , clutch adjustment , brake adjustment , oil change , filter change new crush washer , air-filter if applicable , spark plugs , cap , rotor , pcv valve.....Also sometimes belt adjustments..

Just a few things off the top of my head that they normally change , all can be done at home for cheap though.....

Also the always effective valve adjustment and SEAFOAM carbon cleaning always made the lude happy.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
ditto..

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
my friend took her car there recently for that, and all they did was do the distribitor, sparks and soem other stuff u mentioned. after she got it back her car wouldnt start. bascially honda tried to rip her off by putting her idle SOOOO low that there was no idle...if u start the car it wouldnt stay on. there was at lease 2 inches of deflection on the cable..i adjusted it and complained to honda. they said "since ur a mechanic why didnt you do it" and im like excuse me, then the guy goes ur excused and hanged up. dumbass..we complained but we got the run around so im going to go there and rip off some head.
If they said that to me they better be ready to get smacked in the head with a bat,those bitches at Honda dealerships think they know everything,when I brought my moms car in cuz of a cel,they said they couldnt do shit cuz all these codes came up on their scanner,so all they did was hook it up to their obdII scanner and do a diagnostic,when I drove it out of the lot,the light went away,never came back on since,its amazing how they rely on a computer to tell them whats wrong instead of taking 5 minutes of their time just to check around,and btw,what is seafoam carbon cleaning?sounds familiar,is it something like carburator cleaner?

·
Registered
10,923 Posts
30,000 mile "checkup"= RIPOFF

I had one of these a year or two ago, and for $600.00+
dollars, I can't honestly see what they did except spray
WD-40 over the engine. Oh, yes, they DID install the
Denso iridium plugs I brought with me, but that voided
their work guarantee. :( Don't take it to Honda, take it
to a reliable mechanic and let him actually do it, (probably
for alot less).

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
$600.00,damn,I paid 400,but 100 bucks of it was cuz I seriously needed new brake pads,and are u serious that they sprayed wd-40 on your engine?????I'd sue their asses if it fucks up anything,my moms car is at 45,000 miles now so what I'm gonna do is take it to a tire place just for an allignment,balance the wheels,and have them check the brakes,then take it to a lube place for coolant,and maybe a tranny flush,I'm gonna do the oil change myself,and not sure when to flush brake fluid,but I guess that can wait

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
yea when you go to check on a problem the onyl thing that they knwo is how to plug it in and read the computer...thats so stupid. knowledge should be hands on and they should find it by using their brain. i never took my car to honda to get it repaired or serviced. i did all my jobs myslef with the help of others.
usually when that check light comes on its either the gas tank, a loose sensor, bad oil, or some other shiet.

you know warrenty on a car if its used is sheit...my friend has it but she still has to pay them to look at it and pay the tax for the parts. thats soo gay!

my moms new van just turned on and i replaced the air filter and now its gone.

your foam thing im not sure of. i think its only on preludes...i dont have a prelude so im not sure..hehe i jsut wanted to help people out in this forum.

·
Registered
10,923 Posts
Hustler904 said:
$600.00,damn,I paid 400,but 100 bucks of it was cuz I seriously needed new brake pads,and are u serious that they sprayed wd-40 on your engine?????I'd sue their asses if it fucks up anything,my moms car is at 45,000 miles now so what I'm gonna do is take it to a tire place just for an allignment,balance the wheels,and have them check the brakes,then take it to a lube place for coolant,and maybe a tranny flush,I'm gonna do the oil change myself,and not sure when to flush brake fluid,but I guess that can wait
Actually, WD-40 is good for the rubber parts, (hoses, belts,
etc.), but for $600.00+, you'd think the bastards would replace
those things instead of just "sprayin' 'um down".
Just thought of a good "STICKY": Post recommended mechanics
in your area. I'll start it: in the Cobb County, Georgia area,
Tribble Automotive is the SHIT! for basic needs, installations;
Engineered Performance for more complicated, "dyno-type"
shit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts