Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone plkease tell me the differences between the two, except that EX has a cat at the end of the header as oppsed to the DX having the cat right after the header. I would like to swap my DX header with one of a dx but I'm affraid of that CEL coming on. let me know, thanks a million, and if you guys know any place to buy one. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
793 Posts
The DX stock has a cat in the midsection and the EX has it at the end of the header, i wouldn't even buy a header for D16 it is a waste of money, just boost it or swap it out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,248 Posts
Quad-Damage said:
The DX stock has a cat in the midsection and the EX has it at the end of the header, i wouldn't even buy a header for D16 it is a waste of money, just boost it or swap it out.
Guess that you haven't seen any of the dynos for the bisimoto header or an-r headers huh?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,625 Posts
kommon_sense said:
Guess that you haven't seen any of the dynos for the bisimoto header or an-r headers huh?
Just another ill-informed swap-junkie.

Do you have a DX hatch, coupe, or sedan? An EX header will fit but bolt directly to your DX midpipe with no cat at all. THen you will need to do one of two things

1)Get an O2 simulator to get rid of the CEL
2) Get an EX cat and midpipe.

Option 1 might not work for you depending on smog testing in your state, but it's easy and fairly cheap. $79 for a direct plug-n-play O2 sim from Casper Electronics.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well I buoght a high flow cat back but its for an ex, there is my problem, I have a tanabe cat back for a dx.... I gotta make it work, cause I'm not throwing 600 dollars down the drain

The setup I want to work is:

ex header, hi-flow catback for an ex, with my dx exhaust/catback, do you think it will work? and its a coupe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,625 Posts
RichyRichaPC said:
well I buoght a high flow cat back but its for an ex, there is my problem, I have a tanabe cat back for a dx.... I gotta make it work, cause I'm not throwing 600 dollars down the drain

The setup I want to work is:

ex header, hi-flow catback for an ex, with my dx exhaust/catback, do you think it will work? and its a coupe.
Read my post above again. A DX catback with an EX header leaves no room for a cat AT ALL!!! Do this: keep your stock DX manifold/cat/downpipe in the garage for smog testing. Sell that hi-flow cat, you have no use for it. Get an O2 simulator instead and plug it into the secondary O2 sensor to fool the ECU into thinking you still have a cat. The EX header will bolt directly into your Tanabe midpipe. Your only other alternative is to have the Tanabe midpipe shortened to fit the converter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,248 Posts
You can also buy an EX cat-back and sell your dx catback on ebay.

Personally, I wouldn't do the O2 simulator. I'm sure that it will work, but I'm not a big fan of tampering with your emissions or running without a cat. Maybe its the environmental freak in me, but I think that it just irresponsible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,625 Posts
kommon_sense said:
You can also buy an EX cat-back and sell your dx catback on ebay.

Personally, I wouldn't do the O2 simulator. I'm sure that it will work, but I'm not a big fan of tampering with your emissions or running without a cat. Maybe its the environmental freak in me, but I think that it just irresponsible.
FAt chance he'll recover 2/3 what he spent on it. I've never seen an exhaust sell on Ebay for more than $400 no matter what it was. People are mainly looking for crazy deals there. I bought a Tanabe G-Power in nice shape for $250 shipped on there!

I agree the environment should be considered, but if he's $600 in the hole and in a pinch, well...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,248 Posts
klungemonger said:
People are mainly looking for crazy deals there. I bought a Tanabe G-Power in nice shape for $250 shipped on there!
Tell me about it... I just bought a snap-on torque wrench on ebay for $50 :D pays to browse the auctions early in the morning.


I agree the environment should be considered, but if he's $600 in the hole and in a pinch, well...
He could most likely take his car to an exhaust shop and have them cut out a section of his tanabe piping such that he has room for the EX cat. Probably wouldn't cost any more than the O2 sensor simulator and his car will be environmentally friendly. Also won't have to worry about not passing inspection.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,625 Posts
kommon_sense said:
Tell me about it... I just bought a snap-on torque wrench on ebay for $50 :D pays to browse the auctions early in the morning.

He could most likely take his car to an exhaust shop and have them cut out a section of his tanabe piping such that he has room for the EX cat. Probably wouldn't cost any more than the O2 sensor simulator and his car will be environmentally friendly. Also won't have to worry about not passing inspection.
In my defense, I DID mention earlier that he could modify his midpipe to fit the cat...

I love Ebay! I buy almost everything on there. Starting to shop for clothes and stuff too, not just car items. I need to build my tool collection, it'd be nice to get some Snap-On goodies, and tuneup shop tools like an auto brake bleeder, etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,248 Posts
klungemonger said:
In my defense, I DID mention earlier that he could modify his midpipe to fit the cat...
Sorry, musta missed it :eek:


I love Ebay! I buy almost everything on there. Starting to shop for clothes and stuff too, not just car items. I need to build my tool collection, it'd be nice to get some Snap-On goodies, and tuneup shop tools like an auto brake bleeder, etc.
I always check ebay first before buying a big or even medium ticket item at a store. Of course I'm an old school ebayer... Been on ebay for about 5yrs now :)

Also noticed that a lot of big retailers sell extra goodies on ebay... clutchcityonline is on ebay. sears has a craftsman ebay account and I'm sure plenty others.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,625 Posts
kommon_sense said:
Sorry, musta missed it :eek:



I always check ebay first before buying a big or even medium ticket item at a store. Of course I'm an old school ebayer... Been on ebay for about 5yrs now :)

Also noticed that a lot of big retailers sell extra goodies on ebay... clutchcityonline is on ebay. sears has a craftsman ebay account and I'm sure plenty others.
I've been on for about 3 yrs or so. It takes patience to save, just have to let something go if it gets over the max price you set in your mind. Another always comes along. I'm up at 2 or 3 am sometimes waiting for an auction to end so come guy in Cali (who's only up at 11 or 12 PST) doesn's snipe me.

Pep Boys is on now too, not that they have lots of great stuff but I stumbled onto them and ended up getting a new Airmass ceramic header for D16 for $109 shipped! Summit charges $269 + shipping for those!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,248 Posts
klungemonger said:
I've been on for about 3 yrs or so. It takes patience to save, just have to let something go if it gets over the max price you set in your mind. Another always comes along. I'm up at 2 or 3 am sometimes waiting for an auction to end so come guy in Cali (who's only up at 11 or 12 PST) doesn's snipe me.
Yeah, I've been looking for a snap-on torque wrench for a while now. couldn't pass that deal up this morning. I'm on the east coast too, so I've done my share of late night watches on auctions. fun... fun...


Pep Boys is on now too, not that they have lots of great stuff but I stumbled onto them and ended up getting a new Airmass ceramic header for D16 for $109 shipped! Summit charges $269 + shipping for those!
sweet! how do you like it? I installed my new O2 sensor this morning and was looking at my oem header. it is a 4-2-1 design, but leaves a lot to be desired. I was waiting on the bisimoto header that is ac compatible, but don't know when it will be available. However you can't go wrong for $109. You happen to remember pepboys ebay username?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,625 Posts
kommon_sense said:
sweet! how do you like it? I installed my new O2 sensor this morning and was looking at my oem header. it is a 4-2-1 design, but leaves a lot to be desired. I was waiting on the bisimoto header that is ac compatible, but don't know when it will be available. However you can't go wrong for $109. You happen to remember pepboys ebay username?
Don't have it yet, just won it Friday afternoon!!! I was going to blow $330 on the Greddy stainless 1-piece header, but for an all-motor street-driven Y7 this was adequate. LIke you said, how can I go wrong for $109? That's $220 left over to get numerous other parts. Cam, gear, or pistons, or I'm thinking a new valvetrain too. I'll be in good shape after I unload all this turbo stuff. I don't know if they got anymore headers at the moment, but the seller ID is: pep_boys

Also their e-mail is: [email protected]

Here's the header auction you can check it out:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&category=33631&item=2440591292
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top