Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

My car has been running kinda crappy in the 6-7k RPM range, what will happen is i'll be at full boost (7psi) from about 3.5k+ but and it will be running pretty sweet, sounds nice and all. Then, about ~6k RPM (its hard to tell the exact point that it starts happening) the motor begins to sound a little different, almost like its wheezing a little bit, and kinda feels like its not producing any more power. If I stay on the throttle anyway, make loud backfire noises, and run even crappier. I basically have avoided running it over 5.5k for the past week while I have been trying to figure out whats wrong with her.

Here is stuff that I tried that did not work:
Regapped plugs to .030 (Ngk copper 1 range colder)
Tried running octane booster, didnt help
Checked all vacuum lines and connections

The motor is a D16Y8 sohc vtec w/edelbrock turbo kit @7psi. Motor has 60k miles (almost exactly) on it now, and has been boosted for about 1.5k miles. I'm thinking that it has to be either my fuel or ignition system, both have no mods at all and are still the original from factory.

What do you guys think? I'm thinking about doing distributor cap/rotor/plug wires/plugs -- Or do you think that my problems are more likely being caused by fuel/fuel management? I'm using the piggyback that comes with the kit, called turbo-link i think.

I wanna get this thing performing at its full potential, so any help is appreciated, thanks =)

·
Registered
936 Posts
my guess is that you leaning out up top or missfiring. Go get it tuned.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like a plan, this turbo-link computer that it comes with, are most shops w/dyno systems going to be able to tune it right? Also, should I request anything specific when I go to get it tuned? I just dont know because this will be my first time getting a fmu programmed. Thanks.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I reccomend you get a new cap and rotor first. That's about how my problem was and I did cap / rotor /wires and it went away-- but, my cap/roter were old. Give it a look, though.

·
Registered
239 Posts
You are definetly misfiring...Happened to me from a stupid tach adaptor:mad:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just as a follow up post for anyone who might search this topic later. I replaced the stock distributor cap, rotor and put in some new spark plugs, still ngk ZFR6F-11s, and this actually solved the problem for the most part. It still seems like its not making enough power in the upper RPM ranges, and the motor idles kind of rough, but much better than it was a few nights ago. I'll probably end up going with aem's ems (not hondata bcuz of 8 injectors) eventually, and then I should be set =) Thanks guys.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Greengo,

Have you checked your timing at all? Do you have an adjustable cam gear? I have replaced my cap, rotor, plugs, wires, tried the stock ignition again, and I'm still having this misfire problem in vtec with mine. I finally checked the timing last night, and apparantly my Skunk2 cam gear looks like it may have slipped a few degrees. My timing was pretty far advanced....about 8 degrees or so. I'm going to swap in the stock cam gear today, set the timing again and see what happens. I havent been up on the dyno at Edelbrock yet either, still waiting for that one.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
crx-sc said:
Greengo,

Have you checked your timing at all? Do you have an adjustable cam gear? I have replaced my cap, rotor, plugs, wires, tried the stock ignition again, and I'm still having this misfire problem in vtec with mine. I finally checked the timing last night, and apparantly my Skunk2 cam gear looks like it may have slipped a few degrees. My timing was pretty far advanced....about 8 degrees or so. I'm going to swap in the stock cam gear today, set the timing again and see what happens. I havent been up on the dyno at Edelbrock yet either, still waiting for that one.
Yea I did check the timing when i did the cap/rotor/plugs the other day,Its kinda hard to tell because the red marks are hard to see in the first place, and they bounce around a little. Is there any way to fix that? I have the middle red mark pretty damn close to the centering mark as far as I can tell though, I wish I had better tools to do it with. It was a little over advanced, but not by much at all.

I dont have an adjustable cam gear either. I was thinking of checking/adjusting the valves maybe this weekend. Now that this motor is turbo'd should the valves be set differently, or just the same as stock specs?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Well I put the stock cam gear back on, set the timing and it still misfires. At this point I'm going to put in some Iridium plugs then wait for the dyno.

You should just adjust your valves as normal. You don't want to make them too tight or it can idle rough. If you've never done it before, it's not really something you should try without someone who knows how. It is somewhat normal for the timing marks to jump around a bit. If you were just barely advanced, it's not going to cause the misfire problem.

I would be interested in seeing your car to know if your problem is the same as mine. Edelbrock seems interested in finding out what is causing my misfire. Right now, the only thing that isn't stock on my car is the 62mm throttle body, test pipe and Skunk cat-back exhaust. All that you have that's not stock is your exhaust right? Is your cat hollowed out?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea the only other motor related mod I have would be the exhaust system. It's 2.75" piping with a 2.5" carsound cat, not hollowed, and the apexi n1 muffler. I'd go down to your place, but im damn bzy this week, mebe next week tho.. I still dont get perfect performance 6k+ but it doesn't do that backfire shit anymore.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts