Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so heres the deal...i used to have a 95 ex lowered i/h/e and all that jazz then some ass pulled out in front of me and i t-boned him and totaled it, now im driving a 3g eclipse GT, which u just got offered 8500 for.

So heres my dilema, i want to get back into the honda world and im trying to think of what i want to do. 1 buy a old ex and turbo it. 2. buy a ex and swap in a b16 and turbo it or 3. buy a hatchback and swap in a b18c5 (Type-R), anywho just thought id get your im not a noobie so dont treat me like one, ive been in and out of hondas for the last 4 years so i know enough just need some advice.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
Well those are 3 different choices. You need to give us some more info.

What you will be doing with the car and stuff..

If it was me...I'd do the EX turbo...but after rebuilding the D for boost

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
i would boost a b16 and put it in an EG or CRX

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
gurusan said:
b-series whore. You doubt the almighty D. You shall repent your sins.
dude, its 5 in the mornin, go to bed!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so i know theres man things i can do, but if i get the b18c5 i think it would be sweet to put in a hatchback, just my opinion, but id also love to turbo a civic, so more ideas please!!!!

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
man this could go a thousand diffrent ways.....depends on what your looking for. a straight line car......or a auto cross car........well rounded car.
1. straight line car........eg hatch w/ jdm H22 siR swap, on a bottle
2. autocross car..........ef hatch w/ d16y8 supercharged.
3.well rounded.............eg coupe or hatch w jdm B16 siR w/ supercharger or turbo.

and of course rear disc conversion, and maybe even a front upgrade from an gsr or type r. (1,2,3)

of course there a thousand other directions you could go with kinda cash. those set ups come to mind first. but of course the b18c5 would go good with anything.

·
Registered
280 Posts
umm...

I wouldn't blow the money as such. I would consider putting this money in the bank and grow it. Sersiously, you will thank yourself (and me) later on.

However, if you aren't going to listen the first suggestion, then I'd say put it down as an initial payment on a more powerful car. Then you wouldn't have to worry about the outcome of any installations that you may do to a, say, civic...

Thirdly, and lastly, it's your damn money. Learn to spend it wisely. Saving it or not, just don't make a foolish decision.

later

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i want a well rounded yet quick car, doesnt have to be the fastest. it will be a daily driver, just something thats going to be reliable. i dont have to turbo that was just what a lot of people i know were telling me to do. anywho, just a quick reliable everyday car.

·
Registered
386 Posts
my suggestion would be a SC for reliability, Turbos are great but when theyre put in a car that wasnt meant for it, it will never be 100% reliable. SC will be more reliable in my experience.

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
antwn_5k said:
my suggestion would be a SC for reliability, Turbos are great but when theyre put in a car that wasnt meant for it, it will never be 100% reliable. SC will be more reliable in my experience.
why wouldn't a tc be reliable in a car that wasn't meant for boost? I mean, most ppl do REBUILDS to support their boosted aspirations...if a rebuild isn't on the to do list initially, I know that most ppl will make sure to get an amazing tune...

·
Registered
386 Posts
just in my experiences, SC's have been more reliable than TC. Also alot more simple, if something were to go wrong on a dd SC'd car, it wouldnt be too hard to find out what it was as opposed to a TC car. It just my opinion, i know some people swear by TC'd cars.

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
antwn_5k said:
just in my experiences, SC's have been more reliable than TC. Also alot more simple, if something were to go wrong on a dd SC'd car, it wouldnt be too hard to find out what it was as opposed to a TC car. It just my opinion, i know some people swear by TC'd cars.
to each his own I guess...as long as the build is done correctly and the tune is damn near AWESOME, there should be no reliability issues...

·
Registered
386 Posts
The problem lies in...tuning! To calrify why i advised a SC:
TC takes more tuning to get it working great, and alot of people cheap out on tuning. Hence reliability issues, so i just advice people to go w/ SC, because im assuming they wont tune it right. IMO turbos arent very forgiving when it comes to bad tuning, whereas a SC requires less fine-tuning. However, with perfect tuning a TC will be a good DD. I just like to advise people on the side of caution.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
but what if i went the route of swapping in a b18c5, i like that idea a lot. would you put that in a hatch or a coupe, really doesnt matter to me, but what would you do?

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
soda18 said:
Mountain Drving or Track Driving:: SC>Turbo

Highway Driving Straightline Performance:: turbo>SC

B18C5 is a good engine choice, but It's costly
Not sure you can generalize like that. It really depends on the turbo setup.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.