Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unsure about whether or not anyone here has experience with building a AE86. But I've found a shell to one for $250. No wheels etc.. Depending on how much of the car is missing or stripped down, I believe this would make an excellent project. I can get a 4A-GE out of an MR2 with a 6 spd manual for around $2k.. Could also get a supra N/A motor and trans possibly with rear dif for $2k. Not sure what they'd take to install, but it's an option that's become available. I've also thought about the F20b swap into it. Whatever I get it'll be N/A when installed, and built up before it's put in.

My question is this. Since I plan on building the thing for DD / Autox, Which engine/trans should I put in there?

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Well first things first.

Can you weld?
Do you have an engine stand/engine hoist?
Do you have access to a lift?

A car that old almost always need some intense TLC. Unless you are in a nice dry location it's probably in need of much work.

The Z engine of the 4A's is allegedly the stronger block. It also has 5 valves per cyln. My friend actually has 2 AE86's one hatch 1 sedan. The hatch is getting a Z engine and he's going to run megasquirt on it. The sedan is going to be a turbo setup more than likely.

If you buy a Z engine the distributor gets in the way of the firewall. Something has to give so you either bust out the firewall or go with an aftermarket/scavaged coil on plug setup. Busting out the firewall means you either lose the heater or you must reroute the lines, which isn't hard.

I know a bit about these cars. Just don't even ask about revving to 11k because I will be reluctant to give good information for you to throw money away by wearin that motor out.

·
Premium Member
29,826 Posts
poor investment. you'll spend more money than it's worth but that's my opinion
put this in there for initial d status
Tiger Japanese - Home

SKU: 2954AGE
Make: Toyota
Model: Corolla
Year: 90-96
Valve Train: DOHC
Mileage: Approx 25-35 Thousand
Condition: Best
Availability: In Stock

Calculate Total

Special: $451 USD
Before: $551

you're engine prices are tooo high. for 2K you can buy a 2jz-gte shipped lol but anything outside of a bolt in swap will be expensive and time consuming

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
poor investment. you'll spend more money than it's worth but that's my opinion
put this in there for initial d status
Tiger Japanese - Home

SKU: 2954AGE
Make: Toyota
Model: Corolla
Year: 90-96
Valve Train: DOHC
Mileage: Approx 25-35 Thousand
Condition: Best
Availability: In Stock

Calculate Total

Special: $451 USD
Before: $551

you're engine prices are tooo high. for 2K you can buy a 2jz-gte shipped lol but anything outside of a bolt in swap will be expensive and time consuming
:lmao

he hasnt really reserached his shit. the 4AG's are nowhere near that expensive. he can get a basic 4AG out of an mr2 for like $3/400

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
i cant find any regular 4AG motors on the motor dealer site i brose, but they do have 1 AE111 20v 4AG, which is the type r of the 4AG motors. that $1750 for the entire swap. motor/tranny/ecu/harness

but thats from a motor dealer. you can browse forums and score them for much cheaper.

·
Premium Member
29,826 Posts
i cant find any regular 4AG motors on the motor dealer site i brose, but they do have 1 AE111 20v 4AG, which is the type r of the 4AG motors. that $1750 for the entire swap. motor/tranny/ecu/harness

but thats from a motor dealer. you can browse forums and score them for much cheaper.
yeah that motor i posted is the 20v but you need trans and harness. but factory itb's, vvt, 20v's and rwd = sexy for it's class
that motor is 451 by itself. maybe i should buy it and sell it on craigslist for like 700 bucks lol

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
the good thing about the 86's is that any motor be it from the mr2/corolla is basically drop in, not quite sure about the 20V though.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
plus, how many people actually mod toyotas? i mean, besides the mr2/corolla there really isnt any real tunable cars. and the only corolla was the old school RWD ones and some of the newer FWD ones. and the MR2 stopped using the 4ag when they made the bigger body MK2

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
the good thing about the 86's is that any motor be it from the mr2/corolla is basically drop in, not quite sure about the 20V though.
Now I don't know about the mr2, but we have one swapped into a ae86 from a newer corolla. The swap goes fine untill you realize there's no room for the dizzy because the firewall is in the way.

Realisticly if he doesn't have 8 grand to get this oversized gokart rebuilt to even be able to run correctly( not the engine.. The car itself) then he might as well forget it.

Both the ae86's my friend owns are road worthy. One was well taken care of, and the other was someone project that went on the back burner.

I'd put in a 2jz myself. It will fit, but custom mounts are probably needed. I think the sedan has more room, been a while since I looked at the cars side by side with the hoods up.

·
Premium Member
29,826 Posts
Now I don't know about the mr2, but we have one swapped into a ae86 from a newer corolla. The swap goes fine untill you realize there's no room for the dizzy because the firewall is in the way.

Realisticly if he doesn't have 8 grand to get this oversized gokart rebuilt to even be able to run correctly( not the engine.. The car itself) then he might as well forget it.

Both the ae86's my friend owns are road worthy. One was well taken care of, and the other was someone project that went on the back burner.

I'd put in a 2jz myself.
It will fit, but custom mounts are probably needed. I think the sedan has more room, been a while since I looked at the cars side by side with the hoods up.
fuck that. yes because something as "light" as a 2jz would make that car so balanced :lmao

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well first things first.

Can you weld?
Do you have an engine stand/engine hoist?
Do you have access to a lift?
1 Yes. Certified welder in TIG, stick and MIG.
2. Not yet, but friend has one available to use
3 yes. Friend down the street has one available to use if i need it.

I'm not looking for a 11k rev motor. long as it can scoot. If i wanted an 11k+ rpm motor, I'd slap a hayabusa engine in there and fab it to fit.

I'm not sure how much of the car is actually there to work with, but it'll be built ground up. no budget limit really. it's in TN with 0 rust at all. Coupe model. I'd be driving down and flatbedding it back to NY. Would use it as a summer car.

4A-GE. could build one. supra motor. could build that, but it seems like the supra motor might be too long for the engine bay. Although i've never seen a supra in person so i wouldnt know measurements. I've seen a 13b rotary installed in a 86 hatch.. that boogied. Just toying around with my options and researching each one. seeing what will work the best. Just need ideas, so keep them coming. =]

·
Premium Member
29,826 Posts
1 Yes. Certified welder in TIG, stick and MIG.
2. Not yet, but friend has one available to use
3 yes. Friend down the street has one available to use if i need it.

I'm not looking for a 11k rev motor. long as it can scoot. If i wanted an 11k+ rpm motor, I'd slap a hayabusa engine in there and fab it to fit.

I'm not sure how much of the car is actually there to work with, but it'll be built ground up. no budget limit really. it's in TN with 0 rust at all. Coupe model. I'd be driving down and flatbedding it back to NY. Would use it as a summer car.

4A-GE. could build one. supra motor. could build that, but it seems like the supra motor might be too long for the engine bay. Although i've never seen a supra in person so i wouldnt know measurements. I've seen a 13b rotary installed in a 86 hatch.. that boogied. Just toying around with my options and researching each one. seeing what will work the best. Just need ideas, so keep them coming. =]
4age doesn't rev anywhere near 11K that was for the anime sake only. but it has plenty of tq for that chassis and is cheaper to install without hacking the car up. it makes around 30 more hp than the stock US power-plant that came in there. a 2jz swap will make power but will be VERY HEAVY and it's not a drop in install. it'll make power but you'll have to factor in where you will mount it so that you get best weight distribution and tune suspension accordingly. honestly if i was gonna do an iron block i-6 swap i'd pick a better chassis that i wasn't already bending over backwards to get roadworthy again. i would do a rwd 3sgte or 4age or that 4a-supercharged variant. i just don't see spending 8K+ and countless man hours on it. If you feel that is something worthwhile then by all means go for it.

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
What everyone is forgetting is this is a 1986 Corolla this is a 25 year old car! an engine is one thing but what about suspension, trim windows.
I helped rebuild a 1985 RS turbo, and some of the stuff you cant get is shocking, you dont realise!
stuff like door mirors etc, put it this way i seen an 86 RS turbo dash in clean condition go for £1250! so research what parts you can get first! But buy that shell! it'll make way more money than that done up!

·
Premium Member
29,826 Posts
What everyone is forgetting is this is a 1986 Corolla this is a 25 year old car! an engine is one thing but what about suspension, trim windows.
I helped rebuild a 1985 RS turbo, and some of the stuff you cant get is shocking, you dont realise!
stuff like door mirors etc, put it this way i seen an 86 RS turbo dash in clean condition go for £1250! so research what parts you can get first! But buy that shell! it'll make way more money than that done up!
i didn't forget how hold it was. that's why i said it was a poor investment and if you're going through the trouble of putting a high out motor in there pick a better chassis over a ratted out corolla. honestly the only reason people even care about it because of the initial d hype for 8 years ago

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
but the popularity is retarded. you can buy most shit as aftermarket.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts