Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

86 corolla Q's

7K views 30 replies 7 participants last post by  Kenny Powers 
#1 ·
Unsure about whether or not anyone here has experience with building a AE86. But I've found a shell to one for $250. No wheels etc.. Depending on how much of the car is missing or stripped down, I believe this would make an excellent project. I can get a 4A-GE out of an MR2 with a 6 spd manual for around $2k.. Could also get a supra N/A motor and trans possibly with rear dif for $2k. Not sure what they'd take to install, but it's an option that's become available. I've also thought about the F20b swap into it. Whatever I get it'll be N/A when installed, and built up before it's put in.

My question is this. Since I plan on building the thing for DD / Autox, Which engine/trans should I put in there?

#2 ·
Well first things first.

Can you weld?
Do you have an engine stand/engine hoist?
Do you have access to a lift?

A car that old almost always need some intense TLC. Unless you are in a nice dry location it's probably in need of much work.

The Z engine of the 4A's is allegedly the stronger block. It also has 5 valves per cyln. My friend actually has 2 AE86's one hatch 1 sedan. The hatch is getting a Z engine and he's going to run megasquirt on it. The sedan is going to be a turbo setup more than likely.

If you buy a Z engine the distributor gets in the way of the firewall. Something has to give so you either bust out the firewall or go with an aftermarket/scavaged coil on plug setup. Busting out the firewall means you either lose the heater or you must reroute the lines, which isn't hard.

I know a bit about these cars. Just don't even ask about revving to 11k because I will be reluctant to give good information for you to throw money away by wearin that motor out.

#16 ·
Well first things first.

Can you weld?
Do you have an engine stand/engine hoist?
Do you have access to a lift?
1 Yes. Certified welder in TIG, stick and MIG.
2. Not yet, but friend has one available to use
3 yes. Friend down the street has one available to use if i need it.

I'm not looking for a 11k rev motor. long as it can scoot. If i wanted an 11k+ rpm motor, I'd slap a hayabusa engine in there and fab it to fit.

I'm not sure how much of the car is actually there to work with, but it'll be built ground up. no budget limit really. it's in TN with 0 rust at all. Coupe model. I'd be driving down and flatbedding it back to NY. Would use it as a summer car.

4A-GE. could build one. supra motor. could build that, but it seems like the supra motor might be too long for the engine bay. Although i've never seen a supra in person so i wouldnt know measurements. I've seen a 13b rotary installed in a 86 hatch.. that boogied. Just toying around with my options and researching each one. seeing what will work the best. Just need ideas, so keep them coming. =]

#3 · (Edited)
poor investment. you'll spend more money than it's worth but that's my opinion
put this in there for initial d status
Tiger Japanese - Home

SKU: 2954AGE
Make: Toyota
Model: Corolla
Year: 90-96
Valve Train: DOHC
Mileage: Approx 25-35 Thousand
Condition: Best
Availability: In Stock

Calculate Total

Special: $451 USD
Before: $551

you're engine prices are tooo high. for 2K you can buy a 2jz-gte shipped lol but anything outside of a bolt in swap will be expensive and time consuming

#7 ·
i cant find any regular 4AG motors on the motor dealer site i brose, but they do have 1 AE111 20v 4AG, which is the type r of the 4AG motors. that $1750 for the entire swap. motor/tranny/ecu/harness

but thats from a motor dealer. you can browse forums and score them for much cheaper.

#14 ·
Now I don't know about the mr2, but we have one swapped into a ae86 from a newer corolla. The swap goes fine untill you realize there's no room for the dizzy because the firewall is in the way.

Realisticly if he doesn't have 8 grand to get this oversized gokart rebuilt to even be able to run correctly( not the engine.. The car itself) then he might as well forget it.

Both the ae86's my friend owns are road worthy. One was well taken care of, and the other was someone project that went on the back burner.

I'd put in a 2jz myself. It will fit, but custom mounts are probably needed. I think the sedan has more room, been a while since I looked at the cars side by side with the hoods up.

#18 ·
What everyone is forgetting is this is a 1986 Corolla this is a 25 year old car! an engine is one thing but what about suspension, trim windows.
I helped rebuild a 1985 RS turbo, and some of the stuff you cant get is shocking, you dont realise!
stuff like door mirors etc, put it this way i seen an 86 RS turbo dash in clean condition go for £1250! so research what parts you can get first! But buy that shell! it'll make way more money than that done up!

#19 ·
i didn't forget how hold it was. that's why i said it was a poor investment and if you're going through the trouble of putting a high out motor in there pick a better chassis over a ratted out corolla. honestly the only reason people even care about it because of the initial d hype for 8 years ago

#21 ·
it's a shell in good solid condition. no rust. no suspension either. So everything would be built from the ground up.

The 86 from Initial D was a hatch. this isnt a hatch. I'm considering it because of price, condition and weight. it's a light RWD platform that would be fun to build on. if anyone had a pre 92 rx7 to build on for as cheap i'd go for that. or a s13/s14 shell..

#22 · (Edited)
it's a shell in good solid condition. no rust. no suspension either. So everything would be built from the ground up.

The 86 from Initial D was a hatch. this isnt a hatch. I'm considering it because of price, condition and weight. it's a light RWD platform that would be fun to build on. if anyone had a pre 92 rx7 to build on for as cheap i'd go for that. or a s13/s14 shell..
i sold my sr20 240sx in august

and if i could find an FC i would buy it before you could :p

#24 ·
I forgot its iron... but is that so far fetched when we have seen goons put a 350 in a CRX? lol I've seen a 440 in a PT cruizer and it looks completely stock. The amount of work was insane to do it that way but its phenomenal, so perfect that it looks as if it came that way from the factory.

Parts would be a bitch if you were going for a complete OEM reconditioned setup. If you were customizing things it wouldn't be such a problem because of different items you may put on the car instead of its original equipment.

I'd Z engine it and drop a turbo in with new age engine management. :)

Thank god you can do shit yourself. We get people in here all the time that think they can just go to work and get shit done like they are playing with lego's. Hell I have a garage, welder, compressor, and other toys and can't always do shit I want done. IE-push/pull bearings on a hub. I used to have access to a lift. but not anymore. :/

I need to convince the wife to let me pour some concrete and put in a lift with a nice new 2 car garage. :rolleyes

Marques the engine design can do 11k, as it only has a 77mm stroke, it ends up at a speed of 26meters per second or some shit which is the cap of formula 1 engines. but thats absurd to build such a small engine with such high end componets. better to drop in a triple rotor /w boost :D rotaries are light :)

afterall who would want to rebuild every 20k miles or so(depending on how hard it was driven) probably couldn't max it out for over 6 hours of use without throwing shit apart.

#25 · (Edited)
I forgot its iron... but is that so far fetched when we have seen goons put a 350 in a CRX? lol I've seen a 440 in a PT cruizer and it looks completely stock. The amount of work was insane to do it that way but its phenomenal, so perfect that it looks as if it came that way from the factory.

Parts would be a bitch if you were going for a complete OEM reconditioned setup. If you were customizing things it wouldn't be such a problem because of different items you may put on the car instead of its original equipment.

I'd Z engine it and drop a turbo in with new age engine management. :)

Thank god you can do shit yourself. We get people in here all the time that think they can just go to work and get shit done like they are playing with lego's. Hell I have a garage, welder, compressor, and other toys and can't always do shit I want done. IE-push/pull bearings on a hub. I used to have access to a lift. but not anymore. :/

I need to convince the wife to let me pour some concrete and put in a lift with a nice new 2 car garage. :rolleyes

Marques the engine design can do 11k, as it only has a 77mm stroke, it ends up at a speed of 26meters per second or some shit which is the cap of formula 1 engines. but thats absurd to build such a small engine with such high end componets. better to drop in a triple rotor /w boost :D rotaries are light :)

after-all who would want to rebuild every 20k miles or so(depending on how hard it was driven) probably couldn't max it out for over 6 hours of use without throwing shit apart.
they hacked apart the firwall and pushed the engine far back. A 2JZ is TALL and it's heavier than 90% of modern day v8's. the i believe complete long block minus flywheel, fan and tranny is 525-530 lbs. a complete motor and tranny will easily hit 700+lbs and that's being optimistic. The new 5.0 mustang v8 DOHC at 412 hp is 430ish lbs without tranny :lol

i know that it can hit 11K you can make anymotor do 11K with enough money. but it won't do it stock and it won't do it reliably for cheap. like i said that motor was for the sake of the anime although there was allegedly a race spec 4ag that did hit those numbers but it was on wikipedia so i don't know how true it was and i'm certainly not gonna waste my time looking for it. for that amount of money that would be needed to accomplish such a task you would have a lightweight v8 in there making more 2.5x's the power lol and similar gas mileage

#30 ·
Back from the dead.

sosracer - Not sure if you got the shell or not. But if you need some questions or need advice I have a ton I can give you.

The supra motor is heavy. It will throw off the weight ratio from front to rear. You will need custom motor mounts, trans mount, driveshaft, You will need to cut the trans tunnel. cut the shifter hole.

For the 20 valve you would need to cut the spot for the dizzy. Or get a dizzy and water hose relocation kit. Which can add up.

The mr2 motor is not a straight bolt in. In the mr2, The motor sits side to side. Where is the ae86 it sits front to back. So you will need motor mounts and brackets to start. a different tranny as well. I believe you need to modify the intake manifold as well.

here are some random pics of my car. I have a sr20det motor. car sill being build right now so don't have any current full car pics.

new rims

picture of outside with old rims no cf trunk...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.