Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i've got a 97 Civic Ex running a 55 shot wet kit.

I haven't actually used my NX kit for about 2 months now (Scared because of the mileage.)

I want to strengthen the motor so it can still handle the n2o. Would I be better getting new rods first or pistons first. I cant afford both at the same time, and what else could i get to make it stronger.

The main reason im afraid of the high miles is because my car is burning MASSIVE amounts of oil. I must put a Quart of oil in every week. Any clue what might cause that? Thanks for your time Peace

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
You need to do the rods and pistons at the same time. Even if you can't afford both, then buy one and wait until you can afford the other, or else you will have to completely disassemble your entire motor twice.

If you are burning lots of oil it's probably your rings are shot from the nitrous. When you get the forged pistons, see about having the ring lands set farther down from the top to reduce the heat they get from the N2O. Common with V8 forged units but I don't know if they do that with Honda forged pistons yet. Get good rings of course, and have the block honed so the new rings can seat themselves properly. Try to get some Eagle forged rods you can find them for $350 shipped new.

Avoid a catastrophe and just hold off on spraying until you can do up the whole motor the right way then you'll have nothing to worry about.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts