Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alirght. . . sorry, I'm not a gear head, and dont' know much about cars. I have an 87 Honda CRX. . dunno about Si/DX whatever. . .

My brakes have been feeling spongey lately and I decided to take it in at lunch today. I've gone to this mechanic before and been treated pretty well.

They called me at work, and replaced the Master Cylinder.

Now, I've paid, and my brakes do feel right now, but my friend says I got hosed on cost.

What should this procedure cost, replacement parts, labor, etc. Any rough estimates?

If I did get hosed, is there any recourse, or shall it just be another notch on the life lesson post?

Thanks
-Nick

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Tumerboy said:
Alirght. . . sorry, I'm not a gear head, and dont' know much about cars. I have an 87 Honda CRX. . dunno about Si/DX whatever. . .

My brakes have been feeling spongey lately and I decided to take it in at lunch today. I've gone to this mechanic before and been treated pretty well.

They called me at work, and replaced the Master Cylinder.

Now, I've paid, and my brakes do feel right now, but my friend says I got hosed on cost.

What should this procedure cost, replacement parts, labor, etc. Any rough estimates?

If I did get hosed, is there any recourse, or shall it just be another notch on the life lesson post?

Thanks
-Nick
it's pretty much a bolton process. all you have to do is unbolt the old one, unscrew the hard lines, bolt on the new one, rescrew on the hard lines...

not sure about what a mechanic would charge though...

·
Registered
121 Posts
i would guesstamate about 60 bucks an hour + stupid stuff like 10 bucks for screws and whatever the cost of the master cylinder, which mechanics always bumb up about 30 or 40 bucks. did you keep your reciept and your old parts? if not, alway ALWAYS keep your reciept and old parts.

some shop in Santa Barbra Ca. tried to pull some shit w/ my pops, sayin he had replaced a part, when he had put the old part back on. but when my dad asked for the old parts back he tried to come up with some bs story and got caught in the act. so needless to say we got all the work done on the truck for free and a free fluids change and i think like a new headlight bulb or something...

but anyway keep your old parts, always ask for them back.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey, thanks for the info, I didn't know to ask for my parts. . . so no, I don't have the parts, but i do have the reciept.

I have a feeling I got taken. . . anyway, here's the breakdown:

Brake Master - $156.00
Dot 3 Brake Fluid - $12.50
Brake and Parts Cleaner - $2.95
Labor - $167.45
Hazardous Waste - $1.00
Taxes - $14.14

TOTAL - $354.04

I dropped the car off at 12:30, they called me saying it was ready, about 3:15.

If it's as simple a process as you make it sound, then I don't see it taking 2.75 hours (labor of $170) Dunno what the part would normally cost.

Anyway, I guess I dont' have any recourse, but it's good to know. It's too bad, because I really liked this mechanic. Oh well, even if I got taken, I have brakes now, which is good :D

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Tumerboy said:
- $354.04
you paid $300 too much man. for a brand new mc, it's about $50-$60 from pep boys...and it's such an easy install too. :cry:

well, now you know for next time.

·
Retired *********
2,995 Posts
I'd say you got ripped....but that's going to happen. Auto shops always gouge prices. 3 hours labor means like 1.5 hours diagnosing the problem and 1.5 hours physical labor, and you'll always pay at least a 15% parts price markup when getting parts through the shop.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, for future referrence, anyone know of a good mechanic in the South Bay? I'm in Sunnyvale. . .

Yes, I guess I got ripped, but brakes and a lesson are worth it in the end I guess.

·
Retired *********
2,995 Posts
Tumerboy said:
Well, for future referrence, anyone know of a good mechanic in the South Bay? I'm in Sunnyvale. . .

Yes, I guess I got ripped, but brakes and a lesson are worth it in the end I guess.
Are you somewhat mechanically inclined? Have tools? If so go out and buy a Haynes Manual, you should just buy one anyway just to have it. If it's something simple and your not sure how to do it...The manual will give you step by step instructions how to DIY and plus it has alot of helpful trouble shooting tips.

·
Retired *********
2,995 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
wow good buy. auto zone tried to sell me one for like 30.

tumerboy (interesting name) sorry if i made fun of you i wasnt. that wasnt my meaning. im glad we could all be of service. any more questions? we would be happy to help

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Dane, no I didn't take offense. . . I just think it's funny, and I'm trying to rationalize the fact that I dropped that much cash on anything.

Anyway, I don't have any other questions, but the help was greatly appreciated. I'll be sure to post here again when something else breaks :p

Tumerboy - When I was ten, I had a brain tumor, and my friends all started calling me Tumorboy. I liked it, and when I first signed up on AOL I was depressed to see that Tumorboy was taken, so I just changed the letter, and I've been Tumerboy since about 1994.

Thanks again all.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts