Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay. A friend of mine blew his motor and he had a d16a6(89 civ si stock motor) He recently replaced that motor with a 95 ex motor. I could buy the cam from his blown motor for 20 bucks and put it in my car(88 civ dx automatic) Is there much of a difference between these two cams? 20 dollars worth of difference?

More importantly, anyone who replies, would you do it?

thanks in advance for any information you can give me.

P.S. What are the specs on these two cams, and where did you find this info(so I can know where to look)?

thanks
-josh-

· Registered
399 Posts
The cam will make a little difference, you probably wont notice anything. The biggest diference is the dx is 1.5 and the Si is 1.6. I bet the only thing that you will really notice is your gas mileage going down. I would do it though.. anything to get that car faster at the end of the onramp.

honestly, that auto tranny is what is killing you. what I would do is save your $20 and save for a b16 or a b18 and turbo them, then I would install a hurst shiffting kit and you could chirp through the gears like a bird early in the morning. that is what I would do.

· Registered
7,625 Posts
Actually it's not the displacement that is the biggest difference in the 2 motors. It's that yours is DPI and the A6 motor is MPFI injection system. I would recommend taking his entire head, manifold, harness, computer and put them on your car. That'll be good for about 20hp and then it will be modifiable too.

If the only option is teh cam, don't bother.

· Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
when his engine blew on him, one of the valves broke off in the combustion chamber and totally screwed up the head. I have a manifold form a 91 si , but I need the wiring harness( a friend of mine told me about HAsport harnesses) for the injectors. We took apart that engine and the #1 piston had a hole the size of a quarter. Insane. The head is out of the question. The wiring is currently being used for his d16z6. I might be able to get the valve springs w/ retainers, but I'm not sure if there is any difference between the two. I'll buy the cam and swap the injection system and then we'll see where we stand. I'm gonna be getting a 95 civic dx hatch in 4 more days, so I'll probably try to tackle it soon. I wish I could post the pictures of the blown engine, but I still don't know how. I guess you need to put them opn a webpage, but I don't have one. I still need to get them developed anyway, so maybe I'll learn before then.

damn, both an automatic slushbox and dpfi on the same 1.5... That's about 3.5 horsepower to the ground.....

· Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for affirming that both the heads are the same, because I wasn't totally sure. The only reason I'm still putting money into this one is because I'm gonna be using it for my "daily driver" while the hatch will be more race car. It's kinda wierd saying "race car" while I'm talking about a civic, but It's a good way to learn about motors and cars in general. I don't want to drive a totally gutless car around town, and then go to the track and drive way faster than I'm used to. I guess if I get really heavy into this, it is bound to happen. I don't know, but I just like the 4th gen 4 doors...

thanks for all your help

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.