Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1990 Accord DX auto and for the past few weeks I have been having overheating issues. Last week I had a shop replace the radiator after it cracked. Ever since it was replaced the car has been running hotter than normal but hasn't overheated yet. Normally, the temp gauge is about 1/3 of the way to H but now it reads a little over 1/2, but only when it idles at a stop light. Is it normal for the gauge to rise that much when it idles? How much worse will it get when Summer arrives and temps start to hit 100 deg? FYI, the fans do work and turn on when it gets past 1/2. Tahnks for any help or suggestions.

·
Registered
579 Posts
its possible the thermostat has gone but I would lead to believe the shop left an air bubble in the radiator line. Check your coolant reservoir (right beside the radiator) and make sure its filled to max. Also with the car cool remove the radiator cap and make sure you can see fluid covering the radiator coils. If low fill radiator until the coils are covered with 50% water and 50% coolant mixture (or you could just use straight water until its time to drain and flush the radiator in a year). Replace cap and take the car for a quick spin until its hits operating temperature. Allow car to cool and check to make sure coolant is once again covering the coils.

If fluid is full in the reservoir and in the radiator I would next consider buying a thermostat (pretty cheap) and replacing it yourself.

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
Sounds like the coolant system has air still trapped in it, bleed the coolant system first before you go spending money on stuff you might not need.

On another note, why the hell when a car is overheating do people always assume first that its the thermostat? Of all the times I've dealt with an overheatting engine, its NEVER been the thermostat. Majority of the time when someone comes on here with an overheating problem it ends up not being the thermostat.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I replaced the thermostat about a month ago. I topped off the coolant and bled the system but it still runs hot. I'm just going to take it to a shop and let them bend me over backwards. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
236 Posts
could be a water pump. but if you change that might as well replace the timing belt too

1 - 6 of 6 Posts