Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bougt a 90 prelude 2.0si 5 speed i bent a rod this past week and getting a new mottor next week. but the guy i got ti from told me the ball brings are bad in the left front. it makes a poping sound when i slow down to a stop i think about 15 mph and 10 idk realy and just woundering if any one new about this problem i know some one befor me roasted the tires prety good i saw after i got under it:bash

· Registered
12,453 Posts
i bougt a 90 prelude 2.0si 5 speed i bent a rod this past week and getting a new mottor next week. but the guy i got ti from told me the ball brings are bad in the left front. it makes a poping sound when i slow down to a stop i think about 15 mph and 10 idk realy and just woundering if any one new about this problem i know some one befor me roasted the tires prety good i saw after i got under it:bash
sounds like your cv shafts could be fucked up and need replacement. If you were a bit more discript perhaps I could tell you better, but it sounds like CV shafts.

· Registered
12,453 Posts
ask me wat u need cuz im a lil new to the car only had for a week and the day after i got it i bent a rode beating a stang gt and hanging wiht a 14sec f350 i think it was from a role
does it clink and bang when you go around coroners at lower speeds, like takeing a right on a normal city street?

· Registered
12,453 Posts
eazy to do self or sould i have shop do it i sould have a new well a jap mottor with 30 to 40k on it soon
its easy to do yourself I think, but if your having a shop drop in a new motor for you, that would be the time to take care of it, because to put in a new engine they probably will take out the CV shafts anyway, so that would be the time to get it taken care of.

· Registered
12,453 Posts
i am putting n the mottor
oh, well then. do it yourself.

If you are takeing out the motor you'll most likely take out the whole engine/tranny as one unit, its much easier than just pulling the motor in case you had not figured that out.

To do this you have to remove the CV shafts from the transmission and front hubs to even pull the damn thing out, so just pull them out, throw your busted shafts away, and put in new ones.

A good way to check to see if they are bad right now, is go under your car and check the rubber boots on them. If they are torn, this most likely indicates that they are bad. A torn boot lets crap get all up inside the CV joints and wreck them up.

Its been a while since I've had to buy new CV shafts, but Im guessing you could probably get them new from NAPA or something for 200 bucks or so.

Also, since you have to tear your front suspension apart to do all of this, check your ball joints and suspension bushings for signs of wear too, these could all cause problems in your front end too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.