Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should i buy this car, it smokes? Something that would normally make me pass on a car, but I plan on a zc swap. I have about $3000 to spend. Will swapping shield from the woes of a 13yr old car? :confused

·
Banned
240 Posts
An engine swap alone wont "shield you from a 13 yr old car". You have to remember that due to the age of the car the brakes, suspension, body, etc. are all in usually fairly bad shape. When you buy a car like that and want to make it fast you should be expecting to work on the whole car, not one specific thing.

·
Registered
252 Posts
if i were you , i would buy the car and do a b16a swap. you will be alot happier than with the zc swap.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1.)The car runs, but smokes, and has average wear and tear.
2.)I understand that brakes and other things will need to be replaced.
3.)The reason for the zc swap; CHEAP, direct bolt in, reliable (less worries), don't care too much 'bout speed, and it is less complicated.

I haven't made up my mind on this and I appreciate your comments.

Also, I could just take my 3k budget and buy a 2500-3k crx, (damn honda has polarized the market) but then I would still be stuck with the desire to swap engines and do maintenance and cosmetic work.

Would anyone make this deal?

Last, why are people trying to sell crx's among other hond/ acu's with 250,000 plus miles for $2500 and up. I've noticed that most hondas sell for 2x's the kbb suggested value. My goal is to make a purchase that leaves me with some emergency money, for repairs and other eit.

·
Registered
693 Posts
buy the rex for $900. with the left over money buy new pads and rotors, new struts and lowering kit and new rear lower control arm bushings where the struts bolt on. check the wheel bearings, brake lines, both upper and lower ball joints and tie rod ends. if you want to buy integra brakes for the front, if it is not an si also pick up the rear disk's. thats some of the stuff i replaced and the integra brakes make the vehicle stop a hell of alot better
imo.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, I bought the car tonight, after, a thorough test drive. The cars clutch behaved like an acura I tested earlier last week-- high and sloppy. The car behaved as promised--smoked, but got me home safe and I was able to carve up some twisted that my other car could not. Besides the engine, brakes, and suspension, there are numerous, not so major cosmetic imperfection that are of concern; needs new paint, seats, dent that needs fixin' (CF replacment), small tears on door card (tinkin 'bout homemade ultra suede covered door cards and headliner.

All-and-all, I am pleased with my purchase and will enjoy upgrading this car. Thanks, for replying to my thread. :) :) :clap :clap

1 - 6 of 6 Posts