Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 1998 Civic DX and I am coming up on 90k. I have had this car since 2000 and I bought it w/ 8k miles. I HAVE NEVER HAD THIS CAR IN FOR A SERVICE MAINTENANCE; I get regular oil changes, and I've only brought it in for one major problem, which was brakepad replacement.

I need to know what maintenance needs to be done, before I take it in to an auto shop. I need to know everything that is included in a 90k service, PLUS anything else that I will need because I have never taken it in for a tune-up.

I'd really appreciate anyone's help. Thanks!

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
tranny and coolant flush and refill. timing belt should be inspected. might as well have the valve lash inspected for oem tolernaces as well. plugs, wires, cap, rotor should all be inspected.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
idk about coolant flush..but definitely:
trans flush
air filter
fuel filter
tune up(plugs,wires,dist cap, rotor)
as said above inspect timing belt
plus your other belts look for wear and tear/cracks/torn ribs etc

·
Registered
7,297 Posts
correct me if im wrong, but doesnt the timing belt just get replace at 90k? thats what ive always known through my family owning 5 90k+ hondas

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
markeo said:
correct me if im wrong, but doesnt the timing belt just get replace at 90k? thats what ive always known through my family owning 5 90k+ hondas
it doesnt just replace itself. its not like a time expiration date thing, just recommended about every 100k. but hey if its in great condition theres no need to change it, but if it were me, i'd rather be on the safe side than having a t belt snap and valves and pistons doing bad things to each other.

·
Registered
7,297 Posts
ksniperfox said:
it doesnt just replace itself. its not like a time expiration date thing, just recommended about every 100k. but hey if its in great condition theres no need to change it, but if it were me, i'd rather be on the safe side than having a t belt snap and valves and pistons doing bad things to each other.
right, so every 90 or 100k it should be replaced, not fix itself, but like you said, thats playing it safe, i suppose you could keep it longer than that, but its a belt, it will wear and tear

also, given that he said its never been in for service while he's had it for most of its life, he should probably get it done

·
Registered
33,541 Posts
tire rotation
valve adjustment
oil change
tranny service
coolant flush
fuel filter
timing belt/water pump
spark plugs
cap
rotor
wires
air filter if you are stock
fuel injection cleaning(tank additive/throttle body cleaning/intake cleaning)

·
Registered
908 Posts
D16EX said:
for valve adjustment, do you guys diy or take it to the shop? what should the cost be around?

also, honda dealer quoted me at $485 for timming belt, water pump, and drive belts. is that reasonable?
Reasonable? No. Normal fee for the job? Yes. :hehe

At that price, you could learn to do it yourself and be proud of the work you did and still have $400 left over. It's not terribly hard. Just labor intensive, which is why it's so expensive.

I don't know how much a valve adjustment would normally cost but it's very easy to do yourself. Just requires a couple wrenches, a screwdriver, and a $4 gap gauge.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.