Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a crap time trying to diagnose what is going on with my car. Just over the past 2 weeks or so, after driving around for awhile (about an hour in town), the car starts acting funny. When you press the accelorator it seams as if the motor stops getting gas for about 2 to 5 seconds (engine stops reving and car slows down) then it will engage for lack of a better word and it feels like you are being thrown forward. It will repeat this several times until you maintain a speed. If you go up a hill the same thing will happen. It usually happens when I get low on gas, around 1/8 to 1/4 of a tank. You might say the fuel gage is broken, but I've had it lower than that before to the point the fuel light stayed lit and ran for another 20 miles. I was thinking it might be the fuel filter, so I replaced it last week. Then while out driving around this weekend I had the same herky jerky thing happen again. Also, there is no noise aside from the engine rev, and no interior warning lights come on. So that means it's fuel or fire. I can't afford the $80 to have a diagnostic's done then turn around and spend another $300, or whatever it waill cost, to fix it. Someone told me it might be the fuel pump, but if it is the fuel pump won't it just quit. Oh!!!!! one more thing, if I stop and turn the car off for about 10 mins, it seems fine. If anyone has any Ideas that might save me some money and a lot of headache would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
maybe the sparks or the main coil. i thought it was a fuel problem but its definitley a combustion prob...with a wide problem like this you may just need to take it in.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It could be some trash in your fuel tank that is getting sucked up and when you shut the car down fo 10 minutes it settles to the bottom. I would probaly still change the fuel pump and drop the tank and give it a good cleaning if you can do it yourself. with a problem like that the dealership wont know what it is right away either, unless your lucky.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hace not had one done. I bought the car used but I do plan on getting a tune up soon anyway. But would or could that be causing the problem only with low fuel?

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
if its low fuel it can just be that u have crap inside ur fuel tank. the older deposits and stuff...try to clean it out with a concentrate cleaner...the other types of cleaners dotn work as well as concentrate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts