Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
92-95 civic si's are like 125 hp right? So would it be worth spending money to give it more horsepower or would it be better to just swap the engine completely and start from there if you want some decent power in the end?

· Registered
298 Posts
I've got one, and I'm facing this dilemna as well.

Really, it depends on your goals.

There are naturally aspirated head packages from Gude that add 50 hp for about...like...$1500 I think. Pretty sure that's cost before installation too.

There are GReddy Turbo kits, as well. If you run stock internals, and stock boost on the kit, they add...I dunno, about 50 hp, but you can keep building that up, and strengthening the engine to handle more boost, but since the 92-95 Si's are SOHC, you can only take them so far. Figure on approx $2000 for the kit, then installation, and any kind of bottom end work you think you need to handle the boost levels you want to run.

I believe there is a Jackson Racing Supercharger as well that pushes 4-8 pounds of boost depending on the pulley you use. Adds oh...40-50+ horsepower, depending on the pulley. $2000+ You can't really go much farther than the bigger pulley with the supercharger, so this mod is sorta limited.

Then, there is the wonderful world of swaps. LS/VTEC, B16, B18, B20/VTEC, F20, F22, H22. Cheapo B16 swap? Maybe $1000 if you can find a cheap engine car or something to rip shit off of, and you can install it yourself, or with a friend. That can range all the way up to an H22 or Type R B18 with any number of turbo kits or N/A tuning options available.

If you want a quick 50 horses, I'd probably get the Gude package.

If you want to spend a bunch of money building up the engine, go ahead and get a turbo, and build that fucker. Either that, or find a GOOD engine shop, and have them do some crazy N/A tuning, and reprazent with your SOHC.

If you want a lot of options, and a lot of power potential, a swap is really your best bet. Choose the engine on your budget, and what you want to do.

Personally, I'm thinking about a B20/VTEC all-motor frankenstein auto-x'ing monster. Either that or a B18, since it'd be a simpler swap.

· Registered
91 Posts
I think its a matter of preference.

Supercharger will give you more overall power, yet, upgrades are limited

B20 will definately give you torque, but your front end will gain a little more weight.

Turbo will give you power, but reliability might become an issue and consider turbo lag

I had an N/A B18c built for my car which is now sitting in my friends garage - i sold it to him. That sucker will rev to 9000 RPM all day long, but I needed the money to buy this computer, paint my car and I wanted to end my project car so i could buy a house (hey, there ARE other things to life than cars!). If i could, i'd go for a B16 because they are cheap, abundant, have decent power, very reliable and are lightweight not to mention there are 2372378934593573 mods available for B-series motors. Thats my preference.

· Registered
8 Posts
JDM B16a produces 170? hp. Somewhat more than the USDM and the JDM B16a's are all over the place. I did a stock JDM B16a with bolt ons and had power on demand. The LSD tranny is a worthwhile upgrade. Since we're never satisfied and parts for this motor are cheap, I've built the head, bottom end and upgraded about every part from the fuel system to the transmission. The difference is like going from D16 to B16. Huge jump in performance that I am totally content with on an all motor car. Plus I like the durability and dependability of NA.

· Registered
1 Posts
hey i just bought a 95 civic si. it only has 90,000kms on it. i have priced out a greddy turbo and intercooler. exhaust, headers, intake turbo timer and all my piping for my turbo. is it worth putting this stuff into the stock si motor. would it be fast or am i better off putting a jdm motor or another motor in it. and all this is only going to cost me 3700. help me out guys. what do u think

· Registered
89 Posts
Make sure the engine is in excellent running order and do any pre-maintaince right now before you boost that motor. If everything good, go for it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.