1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
FINISHED PRODUCT!

FAQ:
Q: How hard is this retro-fit?
A: Not very. Suprisingly simple actually! About 2-3 on a scale of 1-10.

Q: Is the 97-01 Honda Prelude Moonroof a perfect fit for the 92-96 Prelude?
A: Yes and no. The size of the moonroof is exactly the same. However, the moonroof and 92-96 mounting brackets must be modified to accept the glass.

Q: Where Can I find a 97-01 Prelude Moonroof?
A: First place to start would be the Superhonda.com classified forum. Second place to look would be local junkyards.

Q: How much does the 97-01 moonroof cost?
A: I've heard anywhere from $150.00 US, to $250.00 US.

Q: How long does the install take?
A: If I had this FAQ when I started it would probably take about 1.5-3 hours depending on your skill and if you have a helper or not.

Q: How much does the 97-01 Moonroof weigh vs. the 92-96 sunroof?
A: The 92-96 sunroof weighs approximately 14.5 lbs including the headliner piece. The 97-01 moonroof weighs exactly 20 lbs, making it 5.5 lbs heavier.

Q: Can the 97-01 moonroof brackets be used in the installation?
A: No, because they are too tall to allow the moonroof to sit flush with the roof of the 92-96 Prelude

Q: Can the entire 97-01 moonroof assembly just be installed rather than doing all of the modifications?
A: No, because the entire assembly is roughly 1-2 inches larger in every direction than the 92-96 assembly

Special Thanks: Superhonda.com/Prelude Forum for being a good source of info for years now, Si_g for helping me out with some questions I had, fengxzhang for selling me the moonroof at a good price and for his Prelude's sacrifice, and finally my Dad for helping me out with the install.

~Peace

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm going to bed... someone sticky this. haha

~Peace

·
Registered
571 Posts
sunroof conversion

nice write up and this project looks nice. but you can not use the sunshade for the 97-02 lude and that could be a trouble on very bright and hot days... but nice project none the less -- two thumbs up ...

·
Registered
296 Posts
^^^ not really, i ve had mine for 6 months now, and i live in FL...not a single sunny day has bothered me with light...i do have 5 % tints all around but still, its clean and the sunlight is really not that bad. I m plannin to tint my glass anyway, so the tint can be the of the same level as my windows, so it ll get even darker which i like :)

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Si_g said:
^^^ not really, i ve had mine for 6 months now, and i live in FL...not a single sunny day has bothered me with light...i do have 5 % tints all around but still, its clean and the sunlight is really not that bad. I m plannin to tint my glass anyway, so the tint can be the of the same level as my windows, so it ll get even darker which i like :)
Which I also plan on doing I plan on doing. 50% front/moonroof, 35% rear... front tint is illegal in IL. I figure that 50% and 35% will look darker with all the windows tinted, and I have a black car.

I drove in daylight yesterday, and honestly forgot it was there a few times... haha.

~Peace

·
Registered
296 Posts
here are more shots of the interior.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
*envies you guys*
rep for the write-up! :D

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the rep pts. guys! Figure I'll bump it one more time in case anyone missed it! It's in the Prelude Tuning FAQs now. Glad I could make a lasting contribution to the forum

~Peace

·
Registered
118 Posts
SWEET

IHIPrelude94 said:
Thanks for the rep pts. guys! Figure I'll bump it one more time in case anyone missed it! It's in the Prelude Tuning FAQs now. Glad I could make a lasting contribution to the forum

~Peace
PROPS for the write up! MAKE IT A STICKY! :D :clap :clap

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
jmomo said:
PROPS for the write up! MAKE IT A STICKY! :D :clap :clap
Already is! haha

~Peace

·
Registered
440 Posts
didnt know you were in IL. im in stl mo so i shouldnt be too far away... i actually bought my prelude in Aurora IL dont mean to thread-jack just had to throw that in :byye

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys I've done this mod too. Just wanted to mention that on my install I had to shim the whole sunroof assembly down a bit as to allow the glass sunroof to sit flush with the roof of the car. Also, I didn't trim the rubber on the glass roof down at all, so maybe that's where the height difference comes from, not sure. Anyway, wish I had this write up when I did my conversion. I pretty much just jumped in without knowing what i was doing. I had both headliners out and the whole sunroof assembly out of my car and it still only took about an 1-2 hours. Great conversion in my opinion!

·
Registered
296 Posts
^^^same as me, i didnt know what i was doing, but it was common sense ehe i did all you did, took me about an hour...wasnt hard at all, just went with the program.

·
Registered
296 Posts
yea i have the full 94-95 accord kit.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I trimmed down those pieces of weather stripping because I heard that it could interfere with the tracks... who knows if it will or not. Wouldn't hurt to cut them down though...

What are you guys talking about shimming the roof? I didn't need to... unless you count the factory shims that are in there. Mine sits perfectly flush with the roof. Weather stripping is just a little higher.

I want the lip kit too... it's possible to sand it down so it's smooth and get it painted to match right?

Oh yeah! Si_G: Can you tell me where the third screw that is hold in my gauge cluster is? I got the 2 on the left side, and it seems like it's being held in the center... I don't see anything though! Does that whole black plastic strip along the bottom of the HUD come off? Seems to be glued on or something.

~Peace

·
Registered
296 Posts
well you have to remove 2 2 things, on top of the cluster, there is a long back cover, there are holes in there, with screws, they go all along the dash, theres about 8 or 9, philips head...when u got all those off, remove your tweeter covers, and it should slide right out. once that is done, go to the passenger since, and grap on the to cover, and gently pop is out, it has a few clips that make it sit tight, just pull with gentle strengh. After that, there should be another screw to the right of the cluster, right next to the left of the fuel and temp gauges, but b4 u can get that out, you have to unscrew the blak separator that goes in between the 2 clusters. After that, flip it up gently like i told you so u can unplug the harnesses slowly as they are not that long.

let me know if this helps.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Si_g said:
well you have to remove 2 2 things, on top of the cluster, there is a long back cover, there are holes in there, with screws, they go all along the dash, theres about 8 or 9, philips head...when u got all those off, remove your tweeter covers, and it should slide right out. once that is done, go to the passenger since, and grap on the to cover, and gently pop is out, it has a few clips that make it sit tight, just pull with gentle strengh. After that, there should be another screw to the right of the cluster, right next to the left of the fuel and temp gauges, but b4 u can get that out, you have to unscrew the blak separator that goes in between the 2 clusters. After that, flip it up gently like i told you so u can unplug the harnesses slowly as they are not that long.

let me know if this helps.
Ok... here's what I did. Removed the top trim piece with the assload of screws, removed the divider piece in between the Tach/Speedo and the rest of the HUD, removed the tweeter covers and got 2-3 screws on each side. Freed passenger side portion from the 5 metal clips along the top. The whole thing was free and I could move it about 3-4 inches out... however, the black trim piece that runs along the bottom and connects the two was keeping me from getting it out all the way. It seems like the Tach/Speedo is stuck where that center divider was... I can't find another screw for the life of me...

~Peace

1 - 20 of 42 Posts