1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21,276 Posts

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have no clue it just said "Built" and I laughed. Though there are 10 second all motor single cams they are big displacement and run on race gas with ridiculous compression ratios and custom gearing. :p

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I have always heard that when boosted, a SOHC motor can produce way more power than DOHC. Don't hold it against me, but that's what people who do swaps at a local shop tell me. They say a guy has a d16y8 (like me) that he is building to handle 600 whp?!! :eek
But yes, I think building a SOHC for N/A is quite silly.. :noo

·
Registered
11 Posts
civicilian said:
I have always heard that when boosted, a SOHC motor can produce way more power than DOHC. Don't hold it against me, but that's what people who do swaps at a local shop tell me. They say a guy has a d16y8 (like me) that he is building to handle 600 whp?!! :eek
ok and they have DOHC's around 820 whp maybe more

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
They can when built correctly,people bag on them all the time but praise the allmighty B16 when in reality better TQ can be had out of a SOHC and they can still put up big numbers and fast times.

I myself am a avid fan of the SOHC's for the simple fact there are no where near as many building them and in the honda scene it is hard to be different so that is my choice.

And to anyone who has not looked into it it does not cost a arm and a leg to build a 300 to 350whp SOHC D series like people like to preach

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
My D16Z6 had Short-ram intake, catback exhaust, plugs and wires (NGK), and aem cam gear advanced 3 degrees and i beat a 99 Si and the new i-vtec Si, and both could drive well...so i believe that they have potential even though they lack a cam...still a 1.6!!! Well about 2 years later i spun a bearing and boom goes the engine! I have the b16 Sir II and factory it puts my single cam to shame...still overall both engines can be surprising at diff. levels...

·
Registered
5 Posts
civicilian said:
is the z6 have more power then the y8? that is what i have been told. but i would stike with my 2.2 sohc turbo laser with 14psi.(now building to have 25.)

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
I love it when people use the term "built" or "fully built" loosely!......he prolly jus had intake and a fucking exhaust! I love my SOHC.....and i love racing DOHCs too..............they alomost never know whats about to hit them!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.